2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest I was angry seeing him running with the ball as I thought to myself "why haven't you been putting in this kind of effort all season?"

Problem with a good few in our squad they turn up when they feel like it - I can't be doing with that should be giving their all for the fans every game they step onto the pitch.

He's like 2 different players Gomes. The injury has made it worse (I.e we see the worse player more often) but it's not the core issue.

Maybe it's confidence, and Ancelotti can slowly start to get it out of him more often. Games like yesterday though, showed all he has. He has vision, can pass, can hold people off, go past people. Yet next week you could play the same opponents and he goes missing. He's a funny one.

As with a lot of this team though, you want to see him being more consistent. In fairness, Iwobi and Mina who are 2 I've criticised have started to do that.

was very good and played well w/ bernard. maybe he just needs to not be deployed as a starter against clubs that could skip right by him. Stick to the WH, Brightons, Burnleys, and Sheff Utds.

He's like 2 different players Gomes. The injury has made it worse (I.e we see the worse player more often) but it's not the core issue.

Maybe it's confidence, and Ancelotti can slowly start to get it out of him more often. Games like yesterday though, showed all he has. He has vision, can pass, can hold people off, go past people. Yet next week you could play the same opponents and he goes missing. He's a funny one.

As with a lot of this team though, you want to see him being more consistent. In fairness, Iwobi and Mina who are 2 I've criticised have started to do that.
I've never been his biggest fan. But he did well last night. Him and Bernard made a difference down that flank. He looked a lot more aggressive.. maybe as you say it is a confidence thing. Lets hope he carries on. He needs to be consistent

I'll be honest I was angry seeing him running with the ball as I thought to myself "why haven't you been putting in this kind of effort all season?"

Problem with a good few in our squad they turn up when they feel like it - I can't be doing with that should be giving their all for the fans every game they step onto the pitch.
Yep he definitely needs to do it on a consistent basis

He is good in the slower paced games, which is why I think some of his substitute
performances recently have been his better performances. Unleash when the sting is out and he has time on the ball.

It's a fair question, but I'm not sure the answer is that he's being lazy. I think there is a mental aspect to the question that hopefully Ancelotti can unlock.

was very good and played well w/ bernard. maybe he just needs to not be deployed as a starter against clubs that could skip right by him. Stick to the WH, Brightons, Burnleys, and Sheff Utds.

Yes for sure.

I think the key though is to get him playing to the best level, then he's an option most weeks.

I’ve felt that when I’ve watched Sigurdsson last five games. He’s suddenly closing down defenders, running non-stop, trying to play forwards, trying to shoot and get into positions again after two seasons of nothing!

I think both Gomes and Davies benefited from the time and space they were afforded yesterday. Both of them struggle when pressed and when the opponent is physical, but they found it pretty easy to find space and get their head up and then you see what they can do. I’m not sure it’s necessarily a sign of them improving as much as just being up against inferior players who didn’t make their life difficult enough. The key for them both is to find a way to play against teams who don’t give them as much freedom.

Yes thats all fair.

The only counter I'd say, is I've seen both against inferior opponents before and get completely overrawed.

Davies seem to use the ball quicker yesterday early on. Didn't over complicate it. The acid test will be against better opponents. But he at least resembled a "6". For most of the last 2-3 years he's not really resembled anything.

Gomes is an odd one. He was pressed a couple of times. He bounced one fella off him in our left back slot and mvoed forward. He danced passed a couple later on. I remember Gary Neville saying in his 1st season, he suits playing in a press and taking the ball in tough areas. He can "break the lines" he just hasn't done it enough.

Small improvements. Lets hope we see more of it. I have to be honest, it's Bernard who I think is most susciptible to not being able to repeat the performance.

Same as bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.