2023/24 Amadou Onana

this thread is confusing, like most on here haha! A lot of people calling Onana terrible but we should be tripling our sell on price?? I think he’s a good player, I’m excited to see him play for Belgium with better players around him to see what he can really do

I like Onana he's a great defensive player but he's really not a premiership player my biggest bugbear with him is his insistence on coming deep and demanding the ball from our defence like he's prime Pirlo. Only to get the ball and pass it back to Pickford. He's been caught in possession a few times this season coming deep demanding the ball.

Our results improved when Onana was bombed out of the team that isn't a coincidence... if Bayern are sniffing about sell him for 40m+ and reinvest it in the squad.

….not sure what all of this means. Reid/Bracewell & Harvey/Kendall were partnerships in midfield. One didn’t play behind the other, they hunted in packs. Neither hardly got into the top third (look at their scoring records), the creativity largely came in wide areas or support strikers. They were CMs.

You can also use Horne and Parkinson as examples. All four hunted with a partner.

This isnt an English/British footballing talent were talking about. Its a player who has been brought up and trained as a defensive midfielder...Roy Keane has said before "we had midfielders who could do everything".

Foreign development is different. Remember Makelele? Imagine him being used as a box to box player with Gana in a partnership?

It would not work, same with another world class player in Busquets. They simply dont play that way but are highly effective as anchors.

I swear people don’t actually watch football anymore, they just look at the stats.

Ive been saying hes been out of position for ages now. Its been backed by the odd poster posting stats which fully support the point.

Its watching him on the pitch and then seeing someone post stats to support it.

You dont see me posting stats...only using what others post to support my view.

Would say hes going to be either a defensive midfielder, centre midfilder, box to box midfielder or whatever you are having yourself for a Bayern or the like very shortly.

All of the teams linked its been stated he would be seen as a DM.

Kane + £60m it is.

I like the look of their DM, Pavlovic.

this thread is confusing, like most on here haha! A lot of people calling Onana terrible but we should be tripling our sell on price?? I think he’s a good player, I’m excited to see him play for Belgium with better players around him to see what he can really do

Its funny isnt it...if he was as bad as some say why would the media even link him to these top sides? Surely they would link him to Port Vale or someone.

How can they expect a profit on someone they think is useless. Then even write off the stats.

I mean if hes winning a high % of balls in the air compared with his competitors...surely that cant be argued?

I like Onana he's a great defensive player but he's really not a premiership player my biggest bugbear with him is his insistence on coming deep and demanding the ball from our defence like he's prime Pirlo. Only to get the ball and pass it back to Pickford. He's been caught in possession a few times this season coming deep demanding the ball.

Our results improved when Onana was bombed out of the team that isn't a coincidence... if Bayern are sniffing about sell him for 40m+ and reinvest it in the squad.

Just a guess, but perhaps as hes always been a sitting DM hes used to receiving the ball and/or wants to be involved in the game rather than always seeing the ball punted to DCL etc.

Im not questioning Gana but i dont see any posts asking why hes been nothing special bar the final half a dozen games before his contract expires?

I genuinely think Evertonians like the high energy players rather than the more 'european style positional' first players. Thats fair enough...ive said many times i like that too...but perhaps if we used Onana in the right role he would be seen in a different light?

Just a guess, but perhaps as hes always been a sitting DM hes used to receiving the ball and/or wants to be involved in the game rather than always seeing the ball punted to DCL etc.

Im not questioning Gana but i dont see any posts asking why hes been nothing special bar the final half a dozen games before his contract expires?

I genuinely think Evertonians like the high energy players rather than the more 'european style positional' first players. Thats fair enough...ive said many times i like that too...but perhaps if we used Onana in the right role he would be seen in a different light?
With Gana the effort and desire is on show for all to see. Onana's effort isn't always apparent I'm not calling him lazy by any stretch but there is undoubtedly a lot more that Onana can give. He often looks as though he's playing within himself and just going through the motions we get glimpses of real class from Onana for fleeting moments in games. unfortunately they're few and far between.

Onana is the piece of the jigsaw that just doesn't fit. In a different team, in a different set up, even in a different league I'd have no doubt Onana will look world class. I just don't see it happening at Everton.

My take is he's young and still developing. We were crying out for a player with his attributes before he arrived. For me Gana is currently our best midfielder but if we don't replace Onana with a player with similar ttributes I think we'll see what we've lost pretty soon.

He isn't generally talked about in the same terms as Caicedo of Brighton was before Chelsea splashed £115m on him, but maybe more like Lavia of Southampton. Certainly nowhere near Rice. I think we can realistically get £60-70m, which tbh would be a good deal for a player with a lot of promise that definitely cannot be fulfilled at Everton.

Isn’t that the problem though, the money won’t really go to the squad…

….he’s terrific but I’ve been really disappointed with his application this season. He’s the one that could attract decent money that we could cheaply replace with a player who is actually more effective over the course of a season.

….he’s terrific but I’ve been really disappointed with his application this season. He’s the one that could attract decent money that we could cheaply replace with a player who is actually more effective over the course of a season.

It seems like you prefer players who run around alot. Compared with a player being used out of position who'se stats are still amongst the best in the league ever since he joined.

I think everyone can see he has attributes that top teams would like.
But it can also be true (and is) that he’s been underwhelming at Everton.

He reminds me very much of Pogba.

When he`s on it, he`s an absolute beast in the middle, but can also sometimes be quite anonymous.

To me the Euros is his chance to show what he`s really got, as that Belgium team is packed with world class players and there`s no excuse not shine with those players around you.

If he`s going to be sold, we deffo need him to have a good Euros to bump his price up.

It seems like you prefer players who run around alot. Compared with a player being used out of position who'se stats are still amongst the best in the league ever since he joined.

….what an utter nonsense, it’s almost a post undeserving of a response. I’m saying, I like him lots and was thinking he would be a revelation this season but he disappointed me.

I doubted his attitude and application at times, even when fit he found himself on the bench. I had in mind that colossal header at Burnley and his MoM performance (in my view) last Sunday and the many times he slipped significantly below that level.

Last edited: