2023/24 Amadou Onana

….what an utter nonsense, it’s almost a post undeserving of a response. I’m saying, I like him lots and was thinking he would be a revelation this season but he disappointed me.

I doubted his attitude and application at times, even when fit he found himself on the bench. I had in mind that colossal header at Burnley and his MoM performance (in my view) last Sunday and the many times he slipped significantly below that level.

I'm only going off you quoting high energy central midfielders (from decades ago) in comparison to a very different type of player who should be used in a different position.

When he does bring the ball forward the manager yells and points so he typically stops and goes back into the left central midfield position.

The only player that is high energy is Gana who is often seen out of position. Garner also alongside either is someone who tends to stay within a 'zone', as Onana does.

I'm only going off you quoting high energy central midfielders (from decades ago) in comparison to a very different type of player who should be used in a different position.

When he does bring the ball forward the manager yells and points so he typically stops and goes back into the left central midfield position.

The only player that is high energy is Gana who is often seen out of position. Garner also alongside either is someone who tends to stay within a 'zone', as Onana does.

….i think you refer to the Lee Carsley role which actually needed discipline to stay in a restricted space in front of the back four. I recall Fellaini found it very difficult to manage because he was continually drawn into other areas of the pitch, I remember Lee Cattermole saying something similar at Sunderland.

Those comments have nothing to do with my assessment of Onana. I just think he was found wanting at times this season, often when his team most wanted him.

'An unidentified Premier League Star' is leaving Arsenal this summer! Could be a place for him there!

I expect Partey to be moved on and Onana or another signed.

….i think you refer to the Lee Carsley role which actually needed discipline to stay in a restricted space in front of the back four. I recall Fellaini found it very difficult to manage because he was continually drawn into other areas of the pitch, I remember Lee Cattermole saying something similar at Sunderland.

Those comments have nothing to do with my assessment of Onana. I just think he was found wanting at times this season, often when his team most wanted him.

Indeed, if we also look at Garner and Onana in those central midfield roles it seems they are constricted as well, having been 'ordered' to stay mostly within 'zones'. We wont be seeing too much dogs of war hunting with those two.

With Carsley it's a bit different as we also had a similar midfield as now in terms or Cahill/Doucoure, Gravesen/Garner and then he and Onana. However, its so different how the midfielders operated compared to Moyes / Dyche tactics.

For me, its like replacing Onana with Carsley as a central midfielder...when did we ever say Carsley was a great CM? Never, but we did when he was in the DM role.

Ah. Rom has lent him his playbook of upselling himself whilst on International duty. Distasteful when you are still on the payroll, let your agent do it privately. I’d be less bothered if he been more effective and consistent for us, but fair play. It’s the way things go and will help us anyway. Hope he has a good tournament. I think he might.

Ah. Rom has lent him his playbook of upselling himself whilst on International duty. Distasteful when you are still on the payroll, let your agent do it privately. I’d be less bothered if he been more effective and consistent for us, but fair play. It’s the way things go and will help us anyway. Hope he has a good tournament. I think he might.

We need to sell and he is our preferred player to sell. Let him drum up as much business as possible.

To be fair, the club need to sell him dont they? Any publicity will help.

The worry is Euro 2024 ends after the PSR deadline.

2+2=5 but Bayern are crying out for midfielder and now have a Belgian coach. Hopefully he goes there and doesn't thrive at another Prem club.
Bayern are my preferred choice for Onana to go to, purely because of this.

Real Madrid and nothing else for Branthwaite.

DCL will be going to a PL club, I think there’s no other option (unless he signs a contract extension).

With Gana the effort and desire is on show for all to see. Onana's effort isn't always apparent I'm not calling him lazy by any stretch but there is undoubtedly a lot more that Onana can give. He often looks as though he's playing within himself and just going through the motions we get glimpses of real class from Onana for fleeting moments in games. unfortunately they're few and far between.

Onana is the piece of the jigsaw that just doesn't fit. In a different team, in a different set up, even in a different league I'd have no doubt Onana will look world class. I just don't see it happening at Everton.
True, you can only have an opinion of a player as you see him, not what other fans say or what his potential might be in the future. He hasn’t really been of any benefit to Everton’s team except in very fleeting moments of most games and games last 90 minutes or more. What I see is how I rate a player. I really hope we make a good profit on Onana but think I will be very surprised if we do.

Hopefully that means nothing is close and we don’t any issue with a 30th of June deadline.