2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not really convinced he's at fault for the 2nd. Yeah he lost it, but in their half, and there was like 5 or 6 of our players behind him. Holgate and Tarkowski mixed themselves up and no one tracked Buendia, they both followed the ball. Couple of errors. Hard pressed to say he's at fault for it imo.
I agree...he was trying to progress the ball forward, it happens. Tark and Holgate standing in each other's shadow was the issue. Watkins had loads of space.
If anything it may have been because it was the first test of the back line after the switch to 4atb
Onana looks great. Our staff better not injure him!

4-3-3 would be a good formation. Dropping Holgate dropping to the bench. Just need a decent front 3 and we’re golden.

A CB pairing of Tarks with Coady would give us zero recovery pace. I am afraid we are committed to a 3 or if we change it will be Tarks and Holgate. However, if we switch to a 4 we then have an issue with RB where there would be an increase in Patterson’s defensive responsibilities which he is probably not ready/equipped for

A CB pairing of Tarks with Coady would give us zero recovery pace. I am afraid we are committed to a 3 or if we change it will be Tarks and Holgate. However, if we switch to a 4 we then have an issue with RB where there would be an increase in Patterson’s defensive responsibilities which he is probably not ready/equipped for
The idea is that we will win the midfield battle with the pace and power of Onana and Iwobi either side of Ghana who sits in front of the back 4, this allows Patterson and Myko to get forward and supply the front 3.
Having a decent front 3 that can score goals is also critical to this formation work as it takes the pressure off everyone.

But hey what do I know I‘m not a football manager.

Before our bid was accepted I read as much as I could about him. His leadership qualities, bravery and commitment where the aspects that many former and current (Martinez) managers highlighted. To me, these qualities are the ones that stood out in his short cameo. 1-0 down, so the instructions from the manager must have been to create something. To me, the run to the box, beating three villa players screamed willingness to make an impact on the game. Many new players would have chosen to pass the ball away instead of trying to make something happen.

We will learn more about him in the coming weeks, but the mental attributes seem promising. A player leading by an example, but more importantly also delivering, is something this team has needed for too long. Him and Gana in the middle of the park is starting to look like a lovely partnership.

I'm not getting carried away or anything...

Nothing

Richards asked Shearer 'whats his name' and Shearer sung the Rhiana song

Cringe but no racism
As if I know what a 'Rhiana' song sounds like.

It was in any case very disrespectful. Taking someone's name and introducing it to the watching millions as a joke.

Shearer was sailing very close to the wind last night with that. If he didn't have Richards there laughing away at his inanity to hand it some 'cover' it would most definitely be an issue today.

It's ok fans making stuff up about his name for songs out of affection, but for someone who gets paid a fortune to talk sense about football it was out of order.

As said above: if that had been a Liverpool player being introduced to the watching millions in this country Shearer would now have a Fatwah on his head.

There was a knock-out game once (not sure which season) where he was absolutely incredible.

Whatever I might think of him in general, that one stuck with me. He was like Roy Keane vs Juventus.

I probably watched the same game. It seems that's probably not consistently been his level though.

What I'd say about him, is he needs a lot of moving parts of a team to align to get the best from him. When he was with us, he had two outstanding bursts for me, 1st season at half, and final season 2nd half.

Once we bought Schneiderlin in, he was thrown off guard, and it never really worked. He wasnt woeful, but his effect was greatly reduced.

I think he will suit the 5-2-3 system we have though.

Status
Not open for further replies.