2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Lampard has moved him around a lot first half of the season to see how he reacts/adapts and nothing has really gone to plan so far. Think he needs to go back to basics with him a bit until he fully settles into the Prem.
Given his age it really is about where he fits in, hes still young enough to be moulded, currently hes not really doing anything well.

But thats cos we are quite awful mostly, with most young players you stick them on the wing and tell them to get their head down, but there is no hiding in a Premier League midfield.

I know Frank has his doubters, but this break will have given him a chance to think, look at vids and hopefully find the answers to questions, time will tell.

Given his age it really is about where he fits in, hes still young enough to be moulded, currently hes not really doing anything well.

But thats cos we are quite awful mostly, with most young players you stick them on the wing and tell them to get their head down, but there is no hiding in a Premier League midfield.

I know Frank has his doubters, but this break will have given him a chance to think, look at vids and hopefully find the answers to questions, time will tell.
If he insists on deploying one of the CM's further forward (which I disagree with anyway) then it should really be Gana IMO - not Amadou. He's doing it the wrong way around.

Lampard needs to wake up and stop playing him further forward.

He's a CDM.
Agree on this but I think he's been playing so far forward because DCL has been out. Onana gives us a simple out ball that maupay doesn't.

So either we need DCL fit, another big striker or maybe a better midfielder so we don't need to go long quite so much.

If he insists on deploying one of the CM's further forward (which I disagree with anyway) then it should really be Gana IMO - not Amadou. He's doing it the wrong way around.
I dont know about that personally, Gana is a 6, was a 6 maybe, does he have the legs any more?

But as I say, it needs working on, maybe Gana should play more forward and Iwobi and Onana as the pivots, its hard to say, for me we have 3 midfielders who can play very well at times, but as a 3, they arent working.

I dont know about that personally, Gana is a 6, was a 6 maybe, does he have the legs any more?

But as I say, it needs working on, maybe Gana should play more forward and Iwobi and Onana as the pivots, its hard to say, for me we have 3 midfielders who can play very well at times, but as a 3, they arent working.
Read the other day that Onana, in the first 15 games, has been one of the best interceptors in the league, with Gana one of the best pressers. Gana played as an 8 for Senegal at the WC and looked sound there I thought, although he had two proper CM's behind him rather than one.

In an ideal world they'd both just sit next to each other and allow Iwobi to progress with it. I can understand Lampard wanting to try and give Onana more licence to stay up and help with the attack but it's leaving us too exposed. The solution is simply to just get better attacking players at the club really lol

Lampard needs to wake up and stop playing him further forward.

He's a CDM.

At the moment be definitely looks best as a defensive midfield anchor type.

Tbh Zat for £30m I thought we would be getting someone who was a little more refined than what we have seen so far. There is a player there no question but not a £30m one imo.

Think Lampard has moved him around a lot first half of the season to see how he reacts/adapts and nothing has really 'stuck' so far. Think he needs to go back to basics with him a bit until he fully settles into the Prem.

Hard to say what he could be. At the moment he looks like a midfield anchor imo.

First season Id just stick him there alongside Gana.

But it looks like Lampard is using him further forward perhaps as hes got alot of potential to become a top central player both ways.

It should develop his game for next season but im not sure its ideal for the team at the moment.

Read the other day that Onana, in the first 15 gaes, has been one of the best interceptors in the league, with Gana one of the best pressers. Gana played as an 8 for Senegal at the WC and looked sound there I thought, although he had two proper CM's behind him rather than one.

In an ideal world they'd both just sit next to each other and allow Iwobi to progress with it. I can understand Lampard wanting to try and give Onana more licence to stay up and help with the attack but it's leaving us too exposed. The solution is simply to just get better attacking players at the club really lol

Pickford
Patterson Tarwkowski Coady Mykolenko
Onana Gana
On paper that looks solid with Garner gradually taking Gana's place + Branthwaite as backup CB.

There has to be a balance then between those 7 and the 4 players further forward.

But like you say, we need better and smarter attackers.

Defensive positioning has been good, as well as his passing range and of course his tackling and intercepting.

Not afraid to bring the ball forward with a few strides either.

First season, hopefully by the end of it he cements either CM or DM positions for next season.

At the moment be definitely looks best as a defensive midfield anchor type.

Hard to say what he could be. At the moment he looks like a midfield anchor imo.

First season Id just stick him there alongside Gana.

But it looks like Lampard is using him further forward perhaps as hes got alot of potential to become a top central player both ways.

It should develop his game for next season but im not sure its ideal for the team at the moment.

Pickford
Patterson Tarwkowski Coady Mykolenko
Onana Gana
On paper that looks solid with Garner gradually taking Gana's place + Branthwaite as backup CB.

There has to be a balance then between those 7 and the 4 players further forward.

But like you say, we need better and smarter attackers.

The time and care you put into your multi replies does not go unnoticed, mate!

But yeah I agree, have Gana and Onana sitting together. Frees up Iwobi more and allows the pair of them to alternate and press a bit more naturally.

As a partnership, Gueye and Onana are not working very well at all. At least one of them needs to be replaced with someone that is capable of a modicum of attacking or creative play. At Bournemouth they were just strolling around doing sod all.

I think they both need replacing tbh.

As a partnership, Gueye and Onana are not working very well at all. At least one of them needs to be replaced with someone that is capable of a modicum of attacking or creative play. At Bournemouth they were just strolling around doing sod all.

I think they both need replacing tbh.

They haven't often played as a partnership if you pay much attention. The few times they have done (Palace) it's worked well.

This boy seemingly has a good attitude on paper but maybe his head was turned for the world cup as at times he seemed guilty of coasting. Could just be inexperience for him but there is value in having options to rotate while he finds his feet in the most physically demanding league.

Can't blame him for switching between good and poor in games due to his age and inexperience at this level though really. If he wisely chooses to stay with us long term he could develop into a very good player for Belgium.

They haven't often played as a partnership if you pay much attention. The few times they have done (Palace) it's worked well.

Right, so you’ll next be trying to argue that playing in the same central midfield for the same team doesn’t constitute playing in partnership, which has happened loads, and they’ve mostly been woeful.

Thank you for showing us you don't really get it.

Yeah, sorry, here’s me thinking that two central midfielders that are both playing in central midfield for the same team were playing as a central midfield partnership. Mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.