Votes: 42 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 27.9%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 38 34.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose even I have to remember, that he wasn't sacked by us, he went to Manchester United. Had United not come in for him when Alex Ferguson retired, he may still have been here now.

I don't think there would ever be a return for Moyes, but the article I found was an eye opener, and perhaps exposes the current shortcomings to the fans. I knew he was big into Prozone, but that is just a tool, it's what's done with that data that matters.

His achievements relative to his peers (and successive Everton managers) show what a good manager he was for us. There was nothing special about us in comparison to other teams like Newcastle Villa etc. Yet every other team outside the top 6 has gone down at some point in the prem. We were the exception, and we didn’t just stay up we qualified for Europe finishing in and ahead of members of the top 6 on a regular occurrence. He raised standards to a point were people used it as a stick to beat him with ‘no trophies’ etc. etc. The stark reality is though that every other premier league manager has fought at the bottom end of the table for most of their tenure resulting in multiple sackings and us curcling the drain going nowhere except for about 1 season under Royle and one under Martinez. Look at the current mess we’ve made even with millions to chuck round. ‘Yeah but Per Kroldrup lad’.

The over the top criticism of him is honestly embarassing. If he’d have stayed i’m certain we’d be in a better position now than we are. Ross Barkley might still be here because rather than being ridiculously over indulged by Martinez and then over criticised by Koeman he might have been developed patiently like Coleman Baines Jags all were, we might have qualified for Europein 14/15 or 15/16 when instead with top players down the spine of the team we were in successive bottom half struggles. He wouldn’t have sprayed 200 Mill up the wall to end up in another relegation battle. We wouldn’t have spent a whole season without a left back. Lookman wouldn’t be out on loan at Leipzig. We wouldn’t be playing lucky dip with our centre back pairings, Vlasic would have a plan for his development, he wouldn’t be coming out saying ridiculous stuff like Koeman and Allardyce have like one minute two players can’t play together and next minute they’re integral to the team. He’s also the last manager to not only beat Liverpool in s derby but finish above them 3 time’s out of his 11 years. When the hell is that ever happening again?

As more and more managers and board members at Everton show what absolutely incompetent buffoons they are it is becoming clearer and clearer that Everton only exist in the premier league thanks to the talents of David Moyes and the legacy he left in terms of playing squad, academy, and training facilities has just about been good enough to ensure that the clowns who have followed haven’t managed to relegate us yet.

100% of passes completed
100% tackles won
100% of shots on target
Ran 10k more than each opposing player

Got beat 9-0

why? Because noone tackled when they needed to, they passed it in their own half without losing it, only had one shot all game, ran around chasing the ball more.

Stats mean nothing in the grand sense of the game.

100% of passes completed
100% tackles won
100% of shots on target

Got beat 9-0

why? Because noone tackled when they needed to, they passed it in their own half without losing it, only had one shot all game, ran around chasing the ball more.

The fact that Schneiderlin sees game time shows that they’re clearly measuring the wrong things in training.

100% of passes completed
100% tackles won
100% of shots on target

Got beat 9-0

It's how you use the data you have assembled which is key.....
I agree some stats can be misleading but other stats can be very useful if used in the appropriate way...
Allardyce &. His coaches has experience in using these stats to help make players fitter & better......

His achievements relative to his peers (and successive Everton managers) show what a good manager he was for us. There was nothing special about us in comparison to other teams like Newcastle Villa etc. Yet every other team outside the top 6 has gone down at some point in the prem. We were the exception, and we didn’t just stay up we qualified for Europe finishing in and ahead of members of the top 6 on a regular occurrence. He raised standards to a point were people used it as a stick to beat him with ‘no trophies’ etc. etc. The stark reality is though that every other premier league manager has fought at the bottom end of the table for most of their tenure resulting in multiple sackings and us curcling the drain going nowhere except for about 1 season under Royle and one under Martinez. Look at the current mess we’ve made even with millions to chuck round. ‘Yeah but Per Kroldrup lad’.

The over the top criticism of him is honestly embarassing. If he’d have stayed i’m certain we’d be in a better position now than we are. Ross Barkley might still be here because rather than being ridiculously over indulged by Martinez and then over criticised by Koeman he might have been developed patiently like Coleman Baines Jags all were, we might have qualified for Europein 14/15 or 15/16 when instead with top players down the spine of the team we were in successive bottom half struggles. He wouldn’t have sprayed 200 Mill up the wall to end up in another relegation battle. We wouldn’t have spent a whole season without a left back. Lookman wouldn’t be out on loan at Leipzig. We wouldn’t be playing lucky dip with our centre back pairings, Vlasic would have a plan for his development, he wouldn’t be coming out saying ridiculous stuff like Koeman and Allardyce have like one minute two players can’t play together and next minute they’re integral to the team. He’s also the last manager to not only beat Liverpool in s derby but finish above them 3 time’s out of his 11 years. When the hell is that ever happening again?

As more and more managers and board members at Everton show what absolutely incompetent buffoons they are it is becoming clearer and clearer that Everton only exist in the premier league thanks to the talents of David Moyes and the legacy he left in terms of playing squad, academy, and training facilities has just about been good enough to ensure that the clowns who have followed haven’t managed to relegate us yet.

There's a lot of truth in this

An argument I find annoying is the one where people say he peaked in 2009 and should have left then. Why? He'd put a good team together and yet we had no money at all. The only way we were ever going to "kick on" was with investment and that didn't turn up until 7 years later

There are plenty of frustrations I had about Moyes, but if he had stayed and been allowed to build on what he had done, I'm fairly sure we'd have been better off today than we are now

Jesus Christ this thread.

Here’s a fun fact - the vanity stats that you see on a TV screen are pretty much ignored by sports scientists. They tell you absolutely sod all about a game. As some people have said already, I could make 50 1 yard passes out of 50 and therefore be at 100% I could make 4 out of 5 passes across the park of my non dominant foot and be therefore at 80%. Does that make me a ‘worse’ passer?

Anyone using statistics to make decisions in sports is dumb, should be backed up by knowledge, not just trusting the data etc.

But of course it’s all a bunch of nonsense and you all know better so might as well not bother.

Wow. Great post mate.

One of my reasons for being a bit of a self confessed fence sitter, is that I simply don’t know what is really happening at the club.

We are a different club now though. That I do know for certain.

Moyes would have loved to come back to Everton this season but it was not to be.....

So it's Allardyce who is another under rated British manager who has huge experience & knowledge of premiership football....

He will do a good job here & give the stability needed to progress next season....

Barkley was out on loan at Leeds (?) and Sheff Wed at the same point in his career as Lookman. So it is highly likely he would have been out on loan.

The derby comment is a bit mad like....

I’d love to see the ‘stats’ regarding Schnerderlin this season. E.g. distance covered, tackles made, interceptions, key passes. Sam obviously doesn’t look at his stats, with his continued selection.

I wonder if his heart rate increases by more than two beats per minute more than his resting heart rate... it doesn't look like it would when he's playing

Barkley was out on loan at Leeds (?) and Sheff Wed at the same point in his career as Lookman. So it is highly likely he would have been out on loan.

The derby comment is a bit mad like....
I don't know about Lookman but to be fair to Moyes on Barkley, I think he wanted him to be an actual central midfielder (which I agree is his best position, theoretically). I think he would have turned out a better player under Moyes because he was indulged too much by Martinez, who allowed him to do virtually nothing in a defensive sense and so just become a bit of a show pony rather than the real match winner he had the ability to be. I don't think it's any coincidence he played his best all round football under Koeman, who treated him how Moyes would have.

In terms of the OP, I think it's amazing that people still talk about the use of stats in coaching/management as if it's still some crazy new idea, when every single professional team in world football uses them extensively.

I don't know about Lookman but to be fair to Moyes on Barkley, I think he wanted him to be an actual central midfielder (which I agree is his best position, theoretically). I think he would have turned out a better player under Moyes because he was indulged too much by Martinez, who allowed him to do virtually nothing in a defensive sense and so just become a bit of a show pony rather than the real match winner he had the ability to be. I don't think it's any coincidence he played his best all round football under Koeman, who treated him how Moyes would have.

In terms of the OP, I think it's amazing that people still talk about the use of stats in coaching/management as if it's still some crazy new idea, when every single professional team in world football uses them extensively.

I thought he was better under Martinez personally. Not saying either way of treating him is right or wrong, just found it strange that someone said that Barkley would still be here if Moyes was still here and then used Lookman saying he wouldn't have been on loan under Moyes when he probably would have been....

I don't think pure stats work in football. Analysis does. Stats can be made to tell people anything they want within reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.