2021/22 Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Our defenders have to sit back too deep because they are terrible.

This leaves our midfield with too much space to cover and they get legged and look awful.

2. Our defenders can’t pass the ball.

This leaves our midfield starved of possession.

3. We need 5 defenders because we can’t trust them.

This leaves our midfield a man down.

Allan would look decent in a decent side, just as Jordan Henderson does, if you swap Allan for Henderson it would make no difference to us. We can shuffle the midfield all we like but until we fix our defenders it won’t matter.

We haven’t made a decent centre back signing since John Stones in 2013.

Good post mate. Agreed. ;)

Id like to see us though with a midfielder who can get it through the lines, particularly to our forward players, Dele did it Vs Palace, Gomes hasnt done it, Doucoure is all legs, but no penetration in progression. That’s the midfield profile I’d be looking at.

Be defo keeping Allan unless as I say, we have a better player trade coming in. Underatted what he brings at 6.

1 year on his deal + never been a 6 aside from under Ancelotti.

Take £10mil and move on.

Who you replacing him with for 10 million mate and improving us?

He’s a six to my eye mate, 6 doesn’t necessarily have to deeply anchor a midfield like Carsley, they can push the press and cover the space - that’s a very understated part of his game. I enjoy watching him off the ball, particularly live. If you want to know how good a 6 is you don’t watch them on the ball, you watch them off it - to my mind this can only be done live, you see so much more of a 6 at a game.

Who you replacing him with for 10 million, he’s a six to my eye mate, 6 doesn’t necessarily have to deeply anchor a midfield, they can push the press and cover the space - that’s a very understated part of his game. I enjoy watching him off the ball, particularly live. If you want to know how good a 6 is you don’t watch them on the ball, you watch them off it - to my mind this can only be done live, you see so much more of a 6 at a game.
He never played as a defensive midfield '6' until 2018/2019 season when he was moved there under Ancelotti. His stats dropped to such an extent that the media and Napoli fans got onto it and wanted him back at '8' as a central pressing midfielder that relied on his energy and desire.

As hes become older (and with Ancelotti again) with us hes being used as a defensive player again but you can see the difference when Delph plays in the positioning and attributes.

Im not saying we can replace him with £10mil. It should be part of a wider clearout of a bloated squad...were overloaded and numbers wise could move on 15/16 and sign 5/6. Recycling 2 players for £20-30mil would enable us to bring in one replacement.

I'd have gone for Kamara out of contract (now Villa) or Bissouma with one year left (close to Villa move). Ive spoken about Tchouameni for two seasons, Guimaraes also of course.

That '6' position is probably the most difficult to recruit into as we dont have the defence behind or midfield in front of them to gauge whether we need a Gana type or an anchor, or even a deep playmaker.

Gilmour has the technical ability to be the deep playmaker, has the snide as well to balance for his light frame BUT is he going to be effective? He looks like he'd be roaming when we have the ball but may not have defensive awareness.

Otherwise, Joao Palhinha was who I wanted when we were linked with Nunez at Sporting last year, Sangare is also a good player. Both have a big presence of course.

Edson Alvarez was someone I noticed for the Mexican side as a defender when playing the exciting football through Lozano etc. He looks very effective as a '6' for Ajax.

But as above, its a bit tricky to say what type we need without knowing about the rest of the spine in front and behind.

He never played as a defensive midfield '6' until 2018/2019 season when he was moved there under Ancelotti. His stats dropped to such an extent that the media and Napoli fans got onto it and wanted him back at '8' as a central pressing midfielder that relied on his energy and desire.

As hes become older (and with Ancelotti again) with us hes being used as a defensive player again but you can see the difference when Delph plays in the positioning and attributes.

Im not saying we can replace him with £10mil. It should be part of a wider clearout of a bloated squad...were overloaded and numbers wise could move on 15/16 and sign 5/6. Recycling 2 players for £20-30mil would enable us to bring in one replacement.

I'd have gone for Kamara out of contract (now Villa) or Bissouma with one year left (close to Villa move). Ive spoken about Tchouameni for two seasons, Guimaraes also of course.

That '6' position is probably the most difficult to recruit into as we dont have the defence behind or midfield in front of them to gauge whether we need a Gana type or an anchor, or even a deep playmaker.

Gilmour has the technical ability to be the deep playmaker, has the snide as well to balance for his light frame BUT is he going to be effective? He looks like he'd be roaming when we have the ball but may not have defensive awareness.

Otherwise, Joao Palhinha was who I wanted when we were linked with Nunez at Sporting last year, Sangare is also a good player. Both have a big presence of course.

Edson Alvarez was someone I noticed for the Mexican side as a defender when playing the exciting football through Lozano etc. He looks very effective as a '6' for Ajax.

But as above, its a bit tricky to say what type we need without knowing about the rest of the spine in front and behind.

Think we will have to agree to differ on this one mate.

Quite the opposite actually. I know stats are not really that popular on here but Allan and Coleman are by far our weakest links numbers wise and by a fairly long way also. His legs have gone end of, he looks a totally different player to the one in Italy, its a shame really.
Stats can be stupid but if you’re talking about a strikers goal return for example stats can also be relevant.
What stats show Allan is by far our weakest link? I can’t imagine seeing his possession/passing being worse than Doucoure, his tackling/pressing being worse than Gomes etc. and I’d expect him to show as our most week rounded midfielder over the last two seasons…

I think he’s been pretty rubbish really and I’m not too bothered if we sell him

One of the biggest disappointments of a signing we’ve made for a long time for me. We desperately needed a solid defensive midfielder and there was me thinking we were finally getting one, until I saw him play and realised he actually made our midfield even leakier.

One of the biggest disappointments of a signing we’ve made for a long time for me. We desperately needed a solid defensive midfielder and there was me thinking we were finally getting one, until I saw him play and realised he actually made our midfield even leakier.

Why you think he was an out and out dm for mate, he never played that role at Napoli did he?

A lot of people at the time, and tbf I don’t think I was one of them said he didn’t have the legs and he wouldn’t fit as a defensive or central midfielder at Everton and they’ve been proven correct so I suppose we can’t be too surprised. At least somebody might actually pay money for him I guess

I like him but he doesn't have a future here after next season, and if we can get a bit of cash for him and replace with a younger and more athletic player, I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.