2020/21 Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought Allan was really good generally, particularly in the second half. Seemed to get in the game more.

His value is really immense for the defence. Last season we had Schneiderlin, Davies, Gomes, even Sigurdsson at times back there, which meant there was no cover for Keane or Mina. With the centre backs not having to step up to the ball, they can defend deeper and make it super difficult for the opposition to complete their pass. That's a fantasic solution from Ancelotti and I love learning about tactics like this.

Same thing with Doucoure, you can have a free roaming player like James, but to balance it you need Doucoure as a cover defensively, but also someone who is a box to box midfielder who can get forward for passes from James.

Thought Allan was really good generally, particularly in the second half. Seemed to get in the game more.

His value is really immense for the defence. Last season we had Schneiderlin, Davies, Gomes, even Sigurdsson at times back there, which meant there was no cover for Keane or Mina. With the centre backs not having to step up to the ball, they can defend deeper and make it super difficult for the opposition to complete their pass. That's a fantasic solution from Ancelotti and I love learning about tactics like this.

Same thing with Doucoure, you can have a free roaming player like James, but to balance it you need Doucoure as a cover defensively, but also someone who is a box to box midfielder who can get forward for passes from James.
I agree. First half I think he struggled with the pace and the ferocity of their drug-fuelled press.

Good to see him dig in and work himself into the game. Thought he had a really good second half and he would’ve learnt a lot about how to deal with a bunch of juiced-up scruffs.

I agree. First half I think he struggled with the pace and the ferocity of their drug-fuelled press.

Good to see him dig in and work himself into the game. Thought he had a really good second half and he would’ve learnt a lot about how to deal with a bunch of juiced-up scruffs.
You've also got to remember that he probably hadn't trained since that league cup game. That groin strain would have needed a full two weeks rest.

He really looks like he needs to just sit in our half to be honest. In every game he’s looked a bit liable to get caught the wrong side of the ball.

He really struggled last week but that´s expected against Liverpool´s midfield. Thought he would do better today. Maybe Southampton have just been THAT good.

Need to play in a compact midfield three. Sigurdsson doesn’t play as a midfielder as he just walks about all over the place so the whole team gets stretched. It was a mistake dropping Gomes. We’d done ok in the derby with him in it. We didn’t need to make the change.

Atrocious today. He can't play as the deepest midfielder and chase the ball like he does. Left us exposed repeatedly. And on top I don't think he offered anything with the ball.

Gets caught high a lot. Pushes right up, gets skinned and then doesn't have the recovery pace to get back.

Does a lot well, but I think maybe a more reserved role would suit him better.

Status
Not open for further replies.