2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're playing 3-4-3 creativity isn't coming from midfield. Look at Spurs. They play Hojbjerg and Bentancur in there. The wide players and front three do that job in this system.

Brighton same thing. Chelsea same thing. This system is not build around the central midfielders doing that. If we switch to a 4-3-3 then the roles change and the expectations change.

I agree... but our wingbacks and wide players just aint creative enough.

I would personally play Mykolenko as the 3rd CB alongside Coady and Tarky with Vinagre and Patterson the wingbacks and bring in a proper replacement for Richy on the left with either McNeil or Gordon on the right.

I would personally play Mykolenko as the 3rd CB alongside Coady and Tarky with Vinagre and Patterson the wingbacks and bring in a proper replacement for Richy on the left with either McNeil or Gordon on the right.
Can you explain what we benefit from playing a LB at CB instead of a CB at CB.

You switch that by changing those players or the system, not by blaming central midfield.

He played him in central midfield. It isn't magic. It has been there since the day he signed.

He's 26. He's never played there in his career. Never at Arsenal, never here. No idea about his national side but I do know they don't rate him highly.

Closest he's got is a number 10. But as a number 6 central midfielder? Never in a million years.

So apologies if I don't buy your eye for a player who's half way to his 30s for being good in a position he's never played before

He's 26. He's never played there in his career. Never at Arsenal, never here. No idea about his national side but I do know they don't rate him highly.

Closest he's got is a number 10. But as a number 6 central midfielder? Never in a million years.

So apologies if I don't buy your eye for a player who's half way to his 30s for being good in a position he's never played before
It's about what you're asking him to do. At Arsenal he played on the left mostly but they asked him to play like he does now. Collect the ball deep and drive play forward. Come inside. He was never a winger. Under Silva he played as a 10 (like twice but still) and it was similar. Spread play, dribble forward, etc. And now as a more box to box player (it isn't really a 6) he is doing the same things because he has always been good at those things. It has just been a matter of getting him into a system that allows him to play that way.

It's about what you're asking him to do. At Arsenal he played on the left mostly but they asked him to play like he does now. Collect the ball deep and drive play forward. Come inside. He was never a winger. Under Silva he played as a 10 (like twice but still) and it was similar. Spread play, dribble forward, etc. And now as a more box to box player (it isn't really a 6) he is doing the same things because he has always been good at those things. It has just been a matter of getting him into a system that allows him to play that way.

But I'm correct in saying the role he has now he's never played before. There's a huge difference in being in a position outwide to drift into space inside than the discipline to play a CM role. Wenger, Silva, Ancellotti all saw him as an attacking wide player and the odd game as a 10.

Lamps has took a punt and it's working out (like Howe did with Jolinton at the barcodes) and he's even admitted it's purely out of necessity cos we don't have anyone.

So you can't sit there and not be surprised with it. Because far better footballing brains didn't know..

But I'm correct in saying the role he has now he's never played before. There's a huge difference in being in a position outwide to drift into space inside than the discipline to play a CM role. Wenger, Silva, Ancellotti all saw him as an attacking wide player and the odd game as a 10.

Lamps has took a punt and it's working out (like Howe did with Jolinton at the barcodes) and he's even admitted it's purely out of necessity cos we don't have anyone.

So you can't sit there and not be surprised with it. Because far better footballing brains didn't know..
I'm not that surprised, maybe a little surprised it works as a two, but that's it, his skillset has always been a central players.

Wenger is a dinosaur now Carlo was a bad tit here, Silva didn't get the best out of the squad either. I'm not wowed that they all got thus wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.