2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good little thread on Iwobi for people criticising him. He was doing his bit before the formation changed and he was pushed RW again.

I would keep him as a option in the middle and sell a few others first

If anything thats pretty pathetic.

1 fwd pass to Richarlison who came deep.
1 overhit pass to DCL
1 underhit pass to DCL
1 short ball to Davies
1 time getting the ball back

All the while Iwobi looks like a headless chicken.

Passing range is the most overrated thing in football. Gomes has the best passing range and I'd argue is our worst passer in midfield most games.

Pique
Hummels
Koeman
Beckenbauer
Bonucci
Frank De Boer

Just a few centre backs who may disagree with you...

Now imagine a supposed self styled "number 10" not having a passing range...being unable to cross a ball and unable to play blind passes.

Not really an effective number 10 is he?

If anything thats pretty pathetic.

1 fwd pass to Richarlison who came deep.
1 overhit pass to DCL
1 underhit pass to DCL
1 short ball to Davies
1 time getting the ball back

All the while Iwobi looks like a headless chicken.

Pique
Hummels
Koeman
Beckenbauer
Bonucci
Frank De Boer

Just a few centre backs who may disagree with you...

Now imagine a supposed self styled "number 10" not having a passing range...being unable to cross a ball and unable to play blind passes.

Not really an effective number 10 is he?
I don't understand this at all.

I can't believe how bad he is at playing the ball into the box. I'm not even going to call them crosses because a cross to me comes in from the near the flanks and is a very difficult skill.

This bloke gets the ball on the corner of the 18 yard box and is asked to float a ball in behind the defence on his strong foot. It's really not a difficult piece of technique and he never gets enough elevation on the pass. It's embarrassingly bad technique for someone who should be doing these drills in training constantly given the position he is asked to play.

Just get shut. It says a lot that in the 30 mins he was playing centrally he played ok (by his own disastrous standards anyway) but we were getting cut to pieces at will by one the most rudimentary teams in Premier League history but as soon as we moved his position we looked far more secure.

We clearly can't accommodate him in the middle because if we're getting rinsed by Burnley imagine what other teams would do to us.

And still some try and build a case for this excuse of a footballer.......being lauded because he played a couple forward passes......Deary me,let's ignore his total inability to cross a ball though....

I've long been patient and argued for iwobi but I think I'm done.

That thread of clips from yesterday is a case in point. An iwobi apologist has had to go to lengths to pull these clips and there's not one thing he does there that you'd not expect an average attack minded premier league player to do. Think andros townsend. Think Nathan Redmond. Think Robbie Brady. Just...meh. not crap, but nothing special either.

Just can't see him ever setting the world alight for us. He'll do the odd bit of good stuff here and there, but he's not even as productive as, say, a Kevin mirallas. In fact, I'd have mirallas at his best over iwobi I think.

Like I say, I actually like him and have defended him but I'm just not seeing enough from him at all.

That thread of clips from yesterday is a case in point. An iwobi apologist has had to go to lengths to pull these clips and there's not one thing he does there that you'd not expect an average attack minded premier league player to do. Think andros townsend. Think Nathan Redmond. Think Robbie Brady. Just...meh. not crap, but nothing special either.

Just can't see him ever setting the world alight for us. He'll do the odd bit of good stuff here and there, but he's not even as productive as, say, a Kevin mirallas. In fact, I'd have mirallas at his best over iwobi I think.

Like I say, I actually like him and have defended him but I'm just not seeing enough from him at all.
When i think of andros townsend i think of a few spectacular goals
matt le tissier would have been proud of.

Another player who is listed in most peoples "Deadwood" list.

But unfortunately no one wants him because he isnt any good, definitely not top half PL quality, if we do sell him we would take a substantial hit in the 10s of millions. Most likely scenario is he will sit on his Everton contract until it runs out whilst being loaned out to clubs whilst we pay the bulk of his wages!!! Another leach, just what we need.
He's on my "Dead crap" list, never mind deadwood.

It isn't that it is spectacular play so much as it is play that we don't have when either he or James is not doing it.

I agree Carlo seems to prefer 4-3-3 with 3 players who work hard and can defend. There is absolutely no place for him in a 4-4-2. He is a bit like Bilyaletdinov without the occasional worldie.
Yes 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 are his preferred systems so he's looking for players who can play in those systems.

Imagine playing Centre Mid for the great Milan team with Guillit playing a No10 role (and VanBasten as your striker). Although probably unachievable again in my lifetime, that's Carlo's real life experience so you've got to be pretty good to play as a playmaker either as a No10, or a bit deeper to impress him....Pirlo wasn't too shabby either was he!

Anyway for those who haven't read it and have a few minutes to spare here's Carlo thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.