2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigurdsson has 11 completed passes into the box. Gomes has 11 completed passes into the box. Iwobi has 25.

Sigurdsson has completed 3 crosses in the box. Iwobi has 8.

Now would I say either is doing enough per 90 minutes? Maybe not. But this is why numbers matter, because you can get the perception that someone does something that they don't actually do.
Pass into the box? Mate he played a 3 yard ball backwards. The fact that Davies was in the top corner of the box means nothing there. It wasn't a scoring opportunity. Davies did all the work and put the actual quality pass in after that.

Iwobi has been playing as a winger this season so I would obviously expect him to have more crosses and be sending more passes into the box. His job is to create and he's very poor at that.

Sigurdsson plays in the middle where you usually don't cross the ball, mainly because he isn't perpendicular to the box but instead has it in front of him.

Gomes plays as a 6 or an 8.

These comparisons you have picked are absolutely useless and make no point at all.

Sigurdsson has 11 completed passes into the box. Gomes has 11 completed passes into the box. Iwobi has 25.

Sigurdsson has completed 3 crosses in the box. Iwobi has 8.

Now would I say either is doing enough per 90 minutes? Maybe not. But this is why numbers matter, because you can get the perception that someone does something that they don't actually do.
Also those numbers seem absolutely made up.

Do Sigurdsson's corners not count as crosses or passes into the box? Why not?

Pass into the box? Mate he played a 3 yard ball backwards. The fact that Davies was in the top corner of the box means nothing there. It wasn't a scoring opportunity. Davies did all the work and put the actual quality pass in after that.

Iwobi has been playing as a winger this season so I would obviously expect him to have more crosses and be sending more passes into the box.

Sigurdsson plays in the middle where you usually don't cross the ball, mainly because he isn't perpendicular to the box but instead has it in front of him.

Gomes plays as a 6 or an 8.

These comparisons you have picked are absolutely useless and make no point at all.
They aren't useless, I've specifically said no one else passes into the box and you named those two as players who do. They don't.

I think I might need to say why this matters. It matters because teams score more goals inside the box. So completing passes to your teammates in that area makes that easier to do.

You keep saying the pass is backwards when we ended up closer to goal afterward. Yes directionally it was but it moved us into a better spot and led to a goal. Not giving Iwobi credit is just poor form.

They aren't useless, I've specifically said no one else passes into the box and you named those two as players who do. They don't.

I think I might need to say why this matters. It matters because teams score more goals inside the box. So completing passes to your teammates in that area makes that easier to do.

You keep saying the pass is backwards when we ended up closer to goal afterward. Yes directionally it was but it moved us into a better spot and led to a goal. Not giving Iwobi credit is just poor form.
No you melt I specifically named them as two players who play that same 3 yard pass backwards for someone else to cross.

Which would explain the low cross numbers from each you utter berk

No you melt I specifically named them as two players who play that same 3 yard pass backwards for someone else to cross.

Which would explain the low cross numbers from each you utter berk
The problem is you're thinking that laying it back to Digne to cross from the touchline and passing it between two players into the penalty area are the same thing and they are not, but Iwobi stinks so they have to be otherwise that was actually something useful.

Why not?

Because they don't fit your agenda?

You're peddling bigger fibs and fake numbers than Trump did 5 months ago.
Look you don't like stats so I don't feel the need to explain every decision those people have made to you. Go read about it if you actually care, but essentially set pieces are excluded for most numbers revolving around passing and chance creation because open play is more important and indicative of what someone is good at.

The problem is you're thinking that laying it back to Digne to cross from the touchline and passing it between two players into the penalty area are the same thing and they are not, but Iwobi stinks so they have to be otherwise that was actually something useful.
No its the exact thing Iwobi did when he gave the ball to Davies. The fact Davies was a foot into the box doesn't make a lick of difference except for the statto plebs who tick one box instead of another.

All Iwobi did there was lay it off for Davies to cross.

No its the exact thing Iwobi did when he gave the ball to Davies. The fact Davies was a foot into the box doesn't make a lick of difference except for the statto plebs who tick one box instead of another.

All Iwobi did there was lay it off for Davies to cross.
Do you think being closer to goal matters in football?

Look you don't like stats so I don't feel the need to explain every decision those people have made to you. Go read about it if you actually care, but essentially set pieces are excluded for most numbers revolving around passing and chance creation because open play is more important and indicative of what someone is good at.

Its picking and choosing data to suit an agenda plain and simple.

A 3 yard backwards ball for someone else to cross doesn't become better than another one just because the ball was played into the edge of the box or closer to the touchline.

At the end of the day it was all down to Tom actually putting the ball in.

Its picking and choosing data to suit an agenda plain and simple.

A 3 yard backwards ball for someone else to cross doesn't become better than another one just because the ball was played into the edge of the box or closer to the touchline.

At the end of the day it was all down to Tom actually putting the ball in.
No, a pass into the box is better than one closer to the touchline, so long as you think that being closer to goal matters in football.

Only when you're shooting.

If the ball is lumped into the box from our half and Dom still scores then thats still a goal.
So yes?

I mean do you think we're more likely to score from a cross from the position Davies was in yesterday or from a hoof from halfway?

Status
Not open for further replies.