2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This of course ignores that the goal that we did scored still involved Iwobi getting the ball into the box, the exact thing I'm advocating for us to make his primary job.

He's not the best player but he does one thing that we have very little ability to do if we let him do it. We don't.
You cant play No10 role if you are sh*te mate!

He runs around a bit, but his passing range isn't very good, he cant cross and he doesn't read the game that well either.

Not sure Carlo wants a No10 in his preferred system anyway so its a moot point.

I wonder what warranted someone to make the decision to spend all that money on him. Imagine the scenes at arsenal when that bid came in for him. They must have thought it was a prank, and when the reality set it that it was real they partied for a week.
We couldn't get Zaha so Brands panic punted on Iwobi, over paid too.

Good little thread on Iwobi for people criticising him. He was doing his bit before the formation changed and he was pushed RW again.

I would keep him as a option in the middle and sell a few others first

It amounts to two good passes and one good move. He is a number ten/winger he does not produce enough goals or assists to justify playing in a free role. He is only in the team because we have nobody else right now let's be honest.

He runs around a bit, but his passing range isn't very good, he cant cross and he doesn't read the game that well either.

I agree Carlo seems to prefer 4-3-3 with 3 players who work hard and can defend. There is absolutely no place for him in a 4-4-2. He is a bit like Bilyaletdinov without the occasional worldie.

View attachment 121243

Sure mate, I'm the one twisting things.

I'm not suggesting it is special I'm suggesting that no one else in our team does it consistently. Stats back that up, but they're fake and don't matter right?
For context heres the actual play rather than a line with an arrow.

Hardly incredible stuff from a Premier league football player.

All of our players are capable of playing this ball.

watchin the first of those clips just makes me fume at Richy. 5yard pass to put dcl infront of goal at 0-0....overhits it.

Passing range is the most overrated thing in football. Gomes has the best passing range and I'd argue is our worst passer in midfield most games.

Then why don't any of the other players freaking do it?
They do every match.

That same pass gets played back to Digne on the left side constantly for him to swing a cross in.

It genuinely amazes me that this 3 yard ball impresses you so much when it is a basic thing we have seen all of our players do many times a match.

They do every match.

That same pass gets played back to Digne on the left side constantly for him to swing a cross in.

It genuinely amazes me that this 3 yard ball impresses you so much when it is a basic thing we have seen all of our players do many times a match.
Let me rephrase: why doesn't anyone but Digne or James freaking do it then?

It's about getting the ball into someone's feet in a dangerous area. It doesn't matter what the length is. We don't do it enough, he does it more than anyone but the two I've named, he's useless. It doesn't track for me.

Let me rephrase: why doesn't anyone but Digne or James freaking do it then?

Sigurdsson plays that same ball constantly so someone can put a cross in for Dom and he can attack the top of the box or make a late run. I've seen Gomes play that ball too. Its a very simple ball to play it backwards to someone in space for a cross when the overload is on. We play that ball constantly especially because we don't have a single winger capable of beating a man and putting the cross in themselves.

You just don't actually watch the football is the simplest explanation for you not seeing it and also thinking Iwobi has any sort of value.

Sigurdsson plays that same ball constantly so someone can put a cross in for Dom and he can attack the top of the box or make a late run. I've seen Gomes play that ball too. Its a very simple ball to play it backwards to someone in space for a cross when the overload is on. We play that ball constantly especially because we don't have a single winger capable of beating a man and putting the cross in themselves.

You just don't actually watch the football is the simplest explanation for you not seeing it and also thinking Iwobi has any sort of value.
Sigurdsson has 11 completed passes into the box. Gomes has 11 completed passes into the box. Iwobi has 25.

Sigurdsson has completed 3 crosses in the box. Iwobi has 8.

Now would I say either is doing enough per 90 minutes? Maybe not. But this is why numbers matter, because you can get the perception that someone does something that they don't actually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.