2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you could just watch it with your own eyes?

And stats are fine when they are used objectively, not selectively like you use them.

Objectively Iwobi is doing the most ball progressing per 90 minutes in our squad and after today that gap is only going to widen.

And I did watch it. He's in the box. I'm lost on how that's controversial. But sure, I can't be objective.

I genuinely am surprised that so many people though he did poorly today. I though if anything his cameo, and let's be honest less than a half hour is that, at #10 was at least encouraging but most don't seem to think so.

The two main criticisms seem to be that we didn't get any goals in that period, which feels harsh, we don't score in every half hour of football we play, and that Burnley were better than us, which I mostly disagree with, 999 out of 1000 times McNeil doesn't score that goal and we're right in it, plus the areas we struggled were, breaking up play, turning the ball over and not defending in our defensive third, all things the shouldn't be the responsibility of the #10.

Then he moves out wide and he stinks at crossing, which while fair is the exact reason why he should have stayed in the middle.

I don't know it feels to me like a bit of a scapegoating. For example I can't really see how people can complain about his quality on the ball and be OK with an Allan, Doucoure and Sigurdsson midfield that has no quality at all. For me we were in it still at 2-0 down because with him in the middle there was an ability to move the ball forward. When he went wide it vanished and when DCL missed it was all the way over because we had no shot of creating the chances to overturn the deficit by then.

I don't think Iwobi is the best player ever, but I do think in terms of coherent midfield play he and James really are the only options we have now. I don't expect you or anyone will read to here and if you do I expect you'll tell me I'm nuts but that's where I am. This team stinks in the middle of the park and just basic competence, which is the minimum we got from Iwobi today for me, is an upgrade. I think we may have forgot what that looks like.
Whatever about a number 10. Maybe he could do something there. Its debatable anyway. But he is shocking out wide. Has no attributes for the position. It is very strange that a profession footballer hits the first opposition player with every one of his attempted crosses. He cant go past any defender out wide either. The 2 basics of a wide player. finger needs to be pointed at carlo too for continuing to play him there.

It was workable in that it didn't have to get torn apart if people did their jobs. They didn't do them.

I think we've established that he's poor on the right. Well everyone but Carlo has. That he was OK when allowed central is the whole point.

I mean I think he was okay when on the right in the first half.

You say about people doing their jobs, which is true, but Burnley simply exploited the clear gaps that appear in a diamond. They overloaded the channels and just stopped us playing out from the back, and in that system it's easy to cut the passing lanes unless the players are athletic and composed on the ball - which we aren't.

It's a formation and shape that doesn't suit us and shouldn't be used. Could easily have played 4-2-3-1 if he really wanted Iwobi central.

You say about people doing their jobs, which is true, but Burnley simply exploited the clear gaps that appear in a diamond. They overloaded the channels and just stopped us playing out from the back, and in that system it's easy to cut the passing lanes unless the players are athletic and composed on the ball - which we aren't.

It's a formation and shape that doesn't suit us and shouldn't be used. Could easily have played 4-2-3-1 if he really wanted Iwobi central.
He should be on the bench from now on.

He doesn't suit the way we play. He has been tried in lots of positions. I think his best position is on the left of either 3 in a 4-3-3. If he's in the middle 3 he needs to be the furthest forward. Unfortunately for that to work he needs a left footer on the left wing which we don't. He needs moved on in the summer.

He should be on the bench from now on.

Ultimately he's probably going to play next week because we have nobody else, and that's the sad state of it atm.

Though I actually think we'll see a plan similar to what happened at Anfield, with Coleman playing RM/RWB and Godfrey or Holgate a combination of RB and RCB.

He won’t be though because we have no other players and King let’s face it he’s not a winger and is a bit pony as well.
Use Coleman and Digne as wide option, Don’t see what Iwobi can offer, his goals and assists ratio is so low. Same as Gomes.

He doesn't suit the way we play. He has been tried in lots of positions. I think his best position is on the left of either 3 in a 4-3-3. If he's in the middle 3 he needs to be the furthest forward. Unfortunately for that to work he needs a left footer on the left wing which we don't. He needs moved on in the summer.

I don't disagree (other than him being on the left - he's useless there whereas on the right he at least looks to make an impact).

He's been an awful signing and it's a colossal black mark against Brands that he sanctioned a £28m move on this lad.

Use Coleman and Digne as wide option, Don’t see what Iwobi can offer, his goals and assists ratio is so low. Same as Gomes.

Coleman can’t even play two games a week these days his legs have gone. Iwobi will be right back in the side in no time and this is the problem we have. Same with our midfield options Gomes and Sigurdsson.

We've hit rock bottom when we are putting any faith in this clown to create.
What a bizare few days leading up to this game where he was the topic of conversation about playing him in "his role"
His role is as far away from this club as possible.
Whens the penny going to drop. Play absolutely anyone but him.

Ultimately he's probably going to play next week because we have nobody else, and that's the sad state of it atm.

Though I actually think we'll see a plan similar to what happened at Anfield, with Coleman playing RM/RWB and Godfrey or Holgate a combination of RB and RCB.
Will just push Coleman and Digne up.

Status
Not open for further replies.