2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gomes can play in 2 of those midfield roles, I think Bernard can play in the wide forward role or that CAM role too, as can iwobi.
If I had to bin 2 it would be down to something arbitrary like someone bidding for them, age, weekly wage.

And Iceland, obv

We can’t have Gomes, Siggi, Bernard and Iwobi all vying for that one spot at the tip of the midfield. They’re all on big wages, it’s not viable. Personally i’d Go Gomes and Bernard in that role, sell Siggi and use Iwobi as competition for the left right of the attack.
I'd shift Bernard and Sig as I think there's a chance Iwobi can still develop and maybe isn't on the same wages as those two - definitely not on what Bernard gets.

Though of course the wages also play a large part in dictating who gets sold. Hard to shift those big, big earners.

I thought he did well. So much better on that right hand side than Walcott had done the previous week against a weaker opponent.

He also got into the middle of the box. He scored one and should have scored a second. He did that at the beginning of last season too and then faded really badly, but we need him to find consistency.
He looks good against poor opposition like he did against Norwich last season. Don’t think he has the consistency in the final third to be a real threat to James out there. If he doesn’t go I hope he keeps improving. He’ll deffo get game time ahead of Walcott imo.

It's quite clear he's crap on the wings, He can beat a man but if you want him to play some peach of a ball in from the wing you're not gonna get it from him, His best work is around the middle of the box like the back heel assist just little passes like that or the shot that hit the bar, I don't know if he'll ever get to play just off the strikers or a role like that though.

I'd shift Bernard and Sig as I think there's a chance Iwobi can still develop and maybe isn't on the same wages as those two - definitely not on what Bernard gets.

Though of course the wages also play a large part in dictating who gets sold. Hard to shift those big, big earners.

I’d shift the same two, but because they’re on the biggest wedge, plus getting money for Bernard would have a very positive effect on our FFP.

None of them will be on low wages but you’re right, Bernard is one of the highest earners - that in itself might make him harder to shift. Think both Bernard and Iwobi have different strengths and offer something different in that advanced midfield role. Bernard is a clever little player, can see him being effective where teams are sitting deep and we need some cute little passes. Iwobi is better at carrying the ball so particularly against teams where we can counter and he can run at space he can be effective. Horses for courses, manger has lots of options which is great, just hope we can afford it all.
They made a good point about Bernard in commentary last night but applies equally to Iwobi - last season with Gomes and Davies/Siggi in centre mid, Bernard (and Iwobi) were expected to contribute to the team winning the ball back. Not their game, now we have Allan and Doucoure giving a solid platform, we’ve got more chance of seeing the best of Bernard/Iwobi when we give them the ball.

Watching the highlights one thing that really struck me is that he seemed happier than I've ever seen whilst he has been here, and all the other players obviously like him too.

Perhaps he really did need some time to settle in and feel part of the gang and let his confidence increase. He's gone from a club where he has been since the age of 10 to somewhere completely different after almost 13 years and most of his life. That's a big ask. I hope that we will see the best of him from here on in.

Status
Not open for further replies.