2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was against a league one side but of the players on the fringe, him and Bernard were very good.

I understand the talk that there was a gulf in divisions and not to get carried away but what you can't overlook that in that game they both showed that they were a class above.

They played like premier league players, in which they performed how they were expected to.

Under Carlo and the change in mentality which he is responsible for, there hopefully looks to be some very handy squad players there.

Great game today, and will hopefully get some ppl off his back. The transfer sum (27 rising to 34) is too high, agreed. Still I think he has a lot of great qualities.
Not a world beater, but young, moderate wages, and very high maxlevel. Having him and Gordon as squad players for Richy and James puts us in a great spot imo

This piece from an Arsenal site sums my thoughts up exactly:
I would agree with Iwobi’s sentiment. And the stats support it. Iwobi is fourth in the Premier League in combined progressive passes and runs per 90 minutes of players that have played at least 1200 minutes. Before I explain that statistic, to show the kind of company he is keeping there, David Silva, Eden Hazard, and Paul Pogba are one, two and three.

A progressive pass or run is defined as an action that is deemed to significantly further, or progress, an attacking move. It could be a pass that navigates defenders or a dribble that brings the play up the pitch. And this is the type of statistic that midfielders and wingers should rank high on: it is their job to provide an outlet for their team and ‘get them up the pitch’. This stat is measuring their ability to do so.

Iwobi also has just under 0.5 goals and assists per 90 minutes in the Premier League this season. It is not a sensational rate by any means. Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick are both just under one goal and assist per 90 minutes. But it is still an improvement on his past production and is a sign that he is growing in confidence in the final third and in front of goal. He is never going to be a clinical finisher and creator, but he is getting better.

Is Iwobi a world-class attacking player who should be starting every single week? No. He isn’t
. But a quick search on Twitter is all you need to see thousands of fans slating his performances. And that isn’t fair. He is better than they realise and he is helpful to Arsenal football club.

Great game today, and will hopefully get some ppl off his back. The transfer sum (27 rising to 34) is too high, agreed. Still I think he has a lot of great qualities.
Not a world beater, but young, moderate wages, and very high maxlevel. Having him and Gordon as squad players for Richy and James puts us in a great spot imo

This piece from an Arsenal site sums my thoughts up exactly:
I would agree with Iwobi’s sentiment. And the stats support it. Iwobi is fourth in the Premier League in combined progressive passes and runs per 90 minutes of players that have played at least 1200 minutes. Before I explain that statistic, to show the kind of company he is keeping there, David Silva, Eden Hazard, and Paul Pogba are one, two and three.

A progressive pass or run is defined as an action that is deemed to significantly further, or progress, an attacking move. It could be a pass that navigates defenders or a dribble that brings the play up the pitch. And this is the type of statistic that midfielders and wingers should rank high on: it is their job to provide an outlet for their team and ‘get them up the pitch’. This stat is measuring their ability to do so.

Iwobi also has just under 0.5 goals and assists per 90 minutes in the Premier League this season. It is not a sensational rate by any means. Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick are both just under one goal and assist per 90 minutes. But it is still an improvement on his past production and is a sign that he is growing in confidence in the final third and in front of goal. He is never going to be a clinical finisher and creator, but he is getting better.

Is Iwobi a world-class attacking player who should be starting every single week? No. He isn’t
. But a quick search on Twitter is all you need to see thousands of fans slating his performances. And that isn’t fair. He is better than they realise and he is helpful to Arsenal football club.
This is why the idea that he should be tried in the same position as Gomes makes sense to a fair few people. The forward passing and dribbling has still been there to an extent even when he struggled last year.

This is why the idea that he should be tried in the same position as Gomes makes sense to a fair few people. The forward passing and dribbling has still been there to an extent even when he struggled last year.
Agreed, he is definately better centrally, as is Bernard.
Just feel that "everyone" is writing him off due to disappointing first season, when nobody really excelled besides the front two.
Think he can be extremely useful going forward, especially as Carlo seems to allow his wide forwards a lot of freedom + he can play the "Gomes"-role as you mention. Would still love a proper offensive right-back though to give us a better balance and unpredictabitlity (though Coleman has started very well)

Thought that each time he came in centrally he looked miles better than out wide. Him and Bernard are not wingers and it shows. When both play centrally they have much more influence and look comfortable. League 1 opposition I know but they both did well.

Thought that each time he came in centrally he looked miles better than out wide. Him and Bernard are not wingers and it shows. When both play centrally they have much more influence and look comfortable. League 1 opposition I know but they both did well.

....I like him centrally, but he can still get into central positions when playing out wide (as Richarlison does). For Richarlison’s 2nd goal, he started that move on the right wing, continued his run inside and got in a great central position to play that subtle assist. For his goal, the ball came from the left and he took up a CF position.

His two good games for Everton have came in this competition against this level.
Nothings changed until he even comes close to being an asset in important league games. But if this gives him or anyone game time, confidence call it what you will there is no negative to that. Exact same as bernard. Im sure the plan wasnt to pay 30m or someone 120k a week to just show up in the caribou cup.
Both did a job last night. But they are big earners and need to contribute in PL games.

We can’t have Gomes, Siggi, Bernard and Iwobi all vying for that one spot at the tip of the midfield. They’re all on big wages, it’s not viable. Personally i’d Go Gomes and Bernard in that role, sell Siggi and use Iwobi as competition for the left right of the attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.