2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't magically going to be able to sign finished product players. We just aren't to that level. The best we can do is buy and develop or try to find undervalued guys like Digne. We can't go and sign Pepe or whatever.
I can only agree to an extent. Zaha and even the likes of Doucoure would have been a lot more 'finished' and should have been easily acquired. We bid last minute for one and re bid last minute for the other. Should we have put our foot down with Gueye a bit more ? Or am I being obtuse? The defensive situation needs no explanation. Kean is 19 and yet people say Lewin needs more time at 23. I feel we could of done more.

I think the unknown of players clouds people's judgment a little. Iwobi for 30ish million is a fine deal. It isn't necessarily a steal but we haven't been ripped off either. Same as Richarlison was last summer.

I’m just really not a fan of Iwobi, as I have said i hope he proves me wrong obviously but as it stands I think it’s a very underwhelming signing

I’m just really not a fan of Iwobi, as I have said i hope he proves me wrong obviously but as it stands I think it’s a very underwhelming signing
I think he will do well. I don't see anybody as being proved wrong because 12 months ago I'd have been the same as you. But I kept a bit of a closer eye on him this season just out of curiosity and was impressed. And being a numbers guy I've looked at those and he's shown pretty clear improvement there.

Bags of talent. I'll get behind and support our new number 17─big boots to fill as Gueye and Cahill has this number before him. He's only 23 so there is much room for improvement. Whenever I've seen him play he's looked good. I think he'll do well. For me personally, I believe our weak-link will be Sigurdsson. I know he scores goals and is a good player but I just don't believe he's good enough to help us challenge for the top 4. His distribution leaves a lot to be desired and he's slow. Got a feeling Alex could replace him as a second striker eventually.

I have a feeling (based on nothing but optimism) that this will turn out to be a really good signing. There’s a lot of talk with this guy (as with Zaha) along the lines of, ‘is he good enough to take us to the top 6/top 4’, but it doesn’t really work like that. Sometimes you just need a set of players to click. Leicester won the league with a squad that had only three top 6 standard players in it. Same as the 13/14 season for us - just a group of players that clicked. That could happen this season with Kean up front being fed by Richarlison, Iwobi, Sigurdsson and Digne.

Panic signing I meant lol
Agree with this. I can’t seriously believe he was a genuine target until Zaha fell through. Silva had demanded multiple signings (understandably as it’s his job that’s on the line for underperformance and not Brands) and this was the clubs reaction to their failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.