2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Arsenal supporting mate of mine messaged me moments after we signed him to take the mick. For context, I hear from this lad maybe once or twice a year!
Yep, my boss is an Arsenal season ticket holder, he phoned me in the office when it happened and literally just laughed down the phone. Didn't say a word, just laughed for about a minute and put the phone down.

It's funny you mention Schneiderlin because I'd say we were a bit daft with how crazy we went over him. He ultimately was what our level way. If they did that with Iwobi then what I'm saying about not really seeing it as them viewing it objectively applies.
You're right mate, they were wrong about him and we're wrong about him. Only you can see the truth.

You're right mate, they were wrong about him and we're wrong about him. Only you can see the truth.
Mate let's be really honest right now: has our midfield been any different this season in games Schneiderlin hasn't played versus the ones he did? So why again was Schneiderlin the worst player to pull on a shirt for the last decade?

Yep, my boss is an Arsenal season ticket holder, he phoned me in the office when it happened and literally just laughed down the phone. Didn't say a word, just laughed for about a minute and put the phone down.
It's just funny to me though because they love Pepe who is having a fairly similar season to what Iwobi did last year. They love Lacazette and despised Giroud toward the end but it looks unlikely three years in that Lacazette will have topped Giroud's goal scoring. Point being I'm not really in the business of trusting Arsenal fans. So you can tell me they said basically anything about their players and I'm skeptical.

Mate let's be really honest right now: has our midfield been any different this season in games Schneiderlin hasn't played versus the ones he did? So why again was Schneiderlin the worst player to pull on a shirt for the last decade?
I was talking about Iwobi. As it happens I've defended Schneiderlin - to a point - on here, because I do think he became a scapegoat and people judged everything he did a bit harshly. He wasn't great, but I agree that he was actually better than a few of the others we've had in midfield recently. On Iwobi, like anything it's just people's opinions. Some of the lads I'm talking about I would say really know their football, and they just didn't rate him. When we signed him, they weren't even giving it the patronising (but generally true) 'he'll do OK for a club like you' line, it was just 'he's rubbish and we've fleeced you'. A couple of weeks into the season I was thinking they'd never been more wrong, I thought he started really well for us, but he's been poor for months on end now.

I was talking about Iwobi. As it happens I've defended Schneiderlin - to a point - on here, because I do think he became a scapegoat and people judged everything he did a bit harshly. He wasn't great, but I agree that he was actually better than a few of the others we've had in midfield recently. On Iwobi, like anything it's just people's opinions. Some of the lads I'm talking about I would say really know their football, and they just didn't rate him. When we signed him, they weren't even giving it the patronising (but generally true) 'he'll do OK for a club like you' line, it was just 'he's rubbish and we've fleeced you'. A couple of weeks into the season I was thinking they'd never been more wrong, I thought he started really well for us, but he's been poor for months on end now.
The scapegoat thing is very strong with Arsenal fans. Wenger leaving meant they suddenly had to face that it was actually the players too that weren't great and they've been like vultures on half the club.

I still hold on to hope that he can figure it out in a system that allows him to find space and try to pass the ball forward. We aren't really in that now so it'll be tough for him if we don't change. He hasn't been good though. I'm not really denying that anymore. I just think the "Arsenal fans laughed at us and they were right," thing is a bit worn because Arsenal fans are by and large nuts at this point. They're crazier than us I think.

I went back and watched some of the games that I know he played alright in. West Ham, Watford in the cup, Norwich recently. I genuinely think if we made a bit of an effort to play to his strengths we could still get good use out of him but at the same time it is a problem that not doing that has caused him to be downright useless.

I don't know, watch this and tell me, horrid miss in a 1v1 aside, that he doesn't look a half decent player here. It's essentially the only time he's played through the middle for us too.

Mental to think this current bunch of crappers put that performance in. West Ham were diabolical like but there was pace, tenacity, creativity and desire all over the pitch that day. Even the subs, Siggursson and Kean, came on and gave it there all.

Even Pickford did well.

When you sign a player in the dying minutes on transfer deadline day, it is usually a panic buy or a last minute alternative to your main target. Iwobi’s performances since he joined us seem to echo that.

Mental to think this current bunch of crappers put that performance in. West Ham were diabolical like but there was pace, tenacity, creativity and desire all over the pitch that day. Even the subs, Siggursson and Kean, came on and gave it there all.

Even Pickford did well.
Sigurdsson showed why he needed to be a sub full stop. The moment Marco Silva lost any hope of being here long term was when the next week, after putting in this kind of display without Sigurdsson clogging up the middle, he brought Sigurdsson on for the injured Bernard and shifted Iwobi back to the left. If he brings say Calvert-Lewin on instead and moves Richarlison to the right and leaves Iwobi at the #10 for more than just a game and 25 minutes or so he might still be our manager.

Also while we're on that game the refereeing is absolutely diabolical.

Sigurdsson showed why he needed to be a sub full stop. The moment Marco Silva lost any hope of being here long term was when the next week, after putting in this kind of display without Sigurdsson clogging up the middle, he brought Sigurdsson on for the injured Bernard and shifted Iwobi back to the left. If he brings say Calvert-Lewin on instead and moves Richarlison to the right and leaves Iwobi at the #10 for more than just a game and 25 minutes or so he might still be our manager.

Also while we're on that game the refereeing is absolutely diabolical.

Iwobi is not a player I rate even slightly but I was baffled at the time why he didn't get more games playing in the same position that he did against West Ham. He did pick up an injury I recall at some point during Silva's final months though so maybe that played a part. Having said that, Silva was a terrible manager, and I think Iwobi is a pretty terrible player, so I honestly don't think your hypothetical scenario (although interesting) would have changed a great deal.

And yes, the refereeing was pitiful in that game. As it is in every game. Worst referees in Europe bar absolutely non.

I went back and watched some of the games that I know he played alright in. West Ham, Watford in the cup, Norwich recently. I genuinely think if we made a bit of an effort to play to his strengths we could still get good use out of him but at the same time it is a problem that not doing that has caused him to be downright useless.

I don't know, watch this and tell me, horrid miss in a 1v1 aside, that he doesn't look a half decent player here. It's essentially the only time he's played through the middle for us too.

The same point was made by Arsenal fans that he's suited to play as a No 10. Silva dropped Siggy for him and he played very well there.

Basically because he's a purely instinct player that will gamble, is mobile, and play a forward pass. He can't do that on the wing.

But that's where the problems lay as these players were brought in for Silva under a system. Under Carlo we're not gonna play with a number 10, or at least one of the calibre we have at the club at the moment.

The only way Iwobi gets a chance here now, IMO, is cover for Richy/further up the field in the two attack role.

Will also point out how good Bernard was in that game. ..

The same point was made by Arsenal fans that he's suited to play as a No 10. Silva dropped Siggy for him and he played very well there.

Basically because he's a purely instinct player that will gamble, is mobile, and play a forward pass. He can't do that on the wing.

But that's where the problems lay as these players were brought in for Silva under a system. Under Carlo we're not gonna play with a number 10, or at least one of the calibre we have at the club at the moment.

The only way Iwobi gets a chance here now, IMO, is cover for Richy/further up the field in the two attack role.

Will also point out how good Bernard was in that game. ..
If by instinctive you mean he does a good job at finding space and understanding where the space to pass it is then I agree.

I'm never going to say he's completely useless. No he isn't playing well and top players have to find consistency, but I also think our current environment isn't very conducive to finding it.

Iwobi is not a player I rate even slightly but I was baffled at the time why he didn't get more games playing in the same position that he did against West Ham. He did pick up an injury I recall at some point during Silva's final months though so maybe that played a part. Having said that, Silva was a terrible manager, and I think Iwobi is a pretty terrible player, so I honestly don't think your hypothetical scenario (although interesting) would have changed a great deal.

And yes, the refereeing was pitiful in that game. As it is in every game. Worst referees in Europe bar absolutely non.
I don't think Silva is a top manager because he was incapable of recognizing the problems and fixing them. However for that game against an admittedly poor West Ham side, he fixed the problems in our attack and then never used the solution again. Obviously teams would have adjusted in time but I find it plausible that we win enough with a system like that to keep him. Maybe we aren't good enough overall but simply good enough to not fire him midway.

If by instinctive you mean he does a good job at finding space and understanding where the space to pass it is then I agree.

I'm never going to say he's completely useless. No he isn't playing well and top players have to find consistency, but I also think our current environment isn't very conducive to finding it.

Not really as those types will blindly make a pass rather than pick one out.

The other problem is that he couldn't trap a bag of cement and has cannons for shins.

Status
Not open for further replies.