2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't understand the extreme views on him yesterday.

No he wasn't exceptional. But he had a decent first half, and ultimately that's where we won the game. He's done OK in the last 2 matches as far as I am concerned. Plenty of room for improvement from him because he has more ability than people are claiming.

I think it's because he looks like he doesn't really know what he's doing. His touch is pretty bad, he's not particularly tricky, he's not great on the ball. He's is very fast and strong though

I mean compared to Gordon or Bernard, for their limitations physically, they're still very good on the ball as well as quick to make you see some positives about their play.

Same with say Traore for Wolves or St Maximan for the Geordies ...similar physically but better on the ball.

And the players mentioned aren't world beaters either, they just look better players. At the moment Iwobi just seems to come across as like a bang average wide player like a Ibe or Albrighton.

You think? To be honest it looks to me like his lack of pace is one of the main reasons he hasn't offered much out wide, although I must admit to closing my eyes every time he gets the ball.

He's got pace. But most wide players and fullbacks do too. So it's nots really something that'll help his game entirely. Just means he's a threat on a breakaway

Had one chance were I was desperate for him to just get it out his feet and hit it hard across goal. Instead he tried to find DCL and it fell apart. Classic Arsenal/Everton hesitation, just hit it.

He's got pace. But most wide players and fullbacks do too. So it's nots really something that'll help his game entirely. Just means he's a threat on a breakaway
Lol, so hes got pace but everybody else has more pace.

Kind of my point. He's got pace in the sense he's a professional athlete, I suppose, but I wouldn't consider it a notable strength of his.

He seems a different player to when we first signed him. Thought in his first 3/4 games he was everywhere chasing every ball and getting himself forward and in the box all the time, linking up well, his passing was okay. Seems a different player at the moment, he’s frustrating to watch.

Kind of my point. He's got pace in the sense he's a professional athlete, I suppose, but I wouldn't consider it a notable strength of his.

He gets caught a lot. One little example was norwich but its a big example aswell between what can be a difference. First half he was put through and had 4 or 5 yards on the norwich player. Better teams and better players punish with that. He was caught in no time and had to check back and play the ball back. Things like that over a season count as a negative.
No more real posts about iwobi from me. Ive said it to many times. A tippy tappy footballer who is no real threat no matter what position he plays. We bought bang average for 30m.

Wasnt he playing on the other side of the pitch to when he was at Arsenal?
Seems better in the middle , but were he fits into the team when we get a couple of midfielders i dont know.

I'm a little more optimistic than most and feel that he's currently playing to orders and that over time Carlo will get more out of him. Too early to write him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.