2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
....that pass in the Anfield Derby where he put Kean in on goal was top drawer and made me thin the same. From his central position there was an easy and obvious option out wide, but he picked that pass which left Kean with only the goalie to beat. Terrific.

He also hit the box lots from wide position, I think it was the home game v Wolves where he lost his marker by accelerating in the box and heading a goal from 6 yards.

i do think his best performances, though, have been from a central position and I think he was a bit unlucky not to get more game time ahead if Sigurdsson. Playing 4-4-2 might not help his cause, but we need squad players and we’ll know more about his effectiveness next season.

He was in the top 5 in Europe for passes into the box the last 2 seasons, so he's got something going for him.

It’s weird how both Walcott and iwobi got off to flying goalscoaring starts for us and then became 1 goal every 10-15 game merchants
It really isn't that surprising at all when you think about it.
Until the appointment of CA we were battling relegation. Unfortunately we had a manager who was completely out of his depth. In these circumstances players were going to struggle and some more than others.
Iwobi suffered from not being an automatic starter and was moved into different positions to make room for others... usually Sigurdsson.

Ancelotti has seen most of his players by now, has had time off to reflect and take stock rather than having to immediately starting to focus on the next game just as soon as one game finishes.
It may well be that some players will not fit into the picture he wants to paint and some could be used as part of a deal in this new world we live in . We will see what the future holds for all our squad.

i wouldn't be surprised to see him out on loan next season, not quite bolasie levels of bad but its not looking like a great signing. mainly because we didnt need him

....that pass in the Anfield Derby where he put Kean in on goal was top drawer and made me thin the same. From his central position there was an easy and obvious option out wide, but he picked that pass which left Kean with only the goalie to beat. Terrific.

He also hit the box lots from wide position, I think it was the home game v Wolves where he lost his marker by accelerating in the box and heading a goal from 6 yards.

i do think his best performances, though, have been from a central position and I think he was a bit unlucky not to get more game time ahead if Sigurdsson. Playing 4-4-2 might not help his cause, but we need squad players and we’ll know more about his effectiveness next season.
I agree he’s best centrally

Centrally? I think he can be great.

Not in a 442 tho unfortunately.

He played AM in the cup against Sheff Wed didnt he? And played well.

But i cant remember him playing there too many other times this season. Probably should have got more of a chance there over Sig

Not in a 442 tho unfortunately.

He played AM in the cup against Sheff Wed didnt he? And played well.

But i cant remember him playing there too many other times this season. Probably should have got more of a chance there over Sig

Yeh he's a victim of the setup not his ability - bought to play under a manger that likes 4-2-3-1. Played centrally vs West Ham and tore them to bits. He's our most positive thinking attacking mid/wide man.

Yeh he's a victim of the setup not his ability - bought to play under a manger that likes 4-2-3-1. Played centrally vs West Ham and tore them to bits. He's our most positive thinking attacking mid/wide man.

Yet hes only scored 1 goal for us IIRC.

Bernard gets a lot of stick for his lack of goals but even he has contributed more than that, and has more of an influence on the play of the team as a whole too

Yet hes only scored 1 goal for us IIRC.

Bernard gets a lot of stick for his lack of goals but even he has contributed more than that, and has more of an influence on the play of the team as a whole too
Bernard is at an age where he is at the very best that he can be, Iwobi who has just turned 24 can still improve substantially and has the physicality that Bernard will never have.
Iwobi, in my opinion, needs to bring a lot more consistency to his game. He can be excellent, but not enough, he can have great games but has too many ordinary games. I think it would help him if he was played in one position and let settle there.

Afraid he might be a bit of a dosser. Had plenty of chances already and didn't work hard enough to get up and down the pitch.

Bernard is at an age where he is at the very best that he can be, Iwobi who has just turned 24 can still improve substantially and has the physicality that Bernard will never have.
Iwobi, in my opinion, needs to bring a lot more consistency to his game. He can be excellent, but not enough, he can have great games but has too many ordinary games. I think it would help him if he was played in one position and let settle there.

This was one of the problems he had at Arsenal. At the time I remember Arsenal fans saying that at the start of every season they though "This'll be the season he kicks on" it never seemed too happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.