2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the issue facing Brands in the summer re Iwobi and others:

442 is great for richy, kean and dcl but dont think it fits with the rest of the side, saying that the rest of the side had long enough to prove their worth in a system they did suit and were largely gash so time to really invest in a system that suits the likes of richarlison and dcl rather than the sigurdssons of the squad.

It's not the players fault of course, but it's difficult to fit him into a 4 4 2. I don't think he starts in central midfield in a 2, especially with a Gomes alongside, because frankly we'll be overrun. He doesn't convince on the wing either. So where does he fit in the squad? Is he an expensive option to bring on to change the game?

As others have said - Brands has signed players the last 2 seasons to largely fit a 4-2-3-1 and really the new manager should have been signed who plays that system aswell.

The owners got a top manager in Ancelotti through the door and went above Brands position (regardless of whether he approved of the move or not) now we have a few players like Iwobi, Sigurdsson, Davies & potentially bernard) who do not really suit the 4-4-2 set up.

Personally would like to see Iwobi out the door in the summer with Everton Soares coming in and rotating with Bernard out on the left.

Siggurdsson also has to go.

You think that a football pygmy like Brands should suggest to a football genius like Carlo that he should change his formation !
Not necessarily, but they are going to have to come to an understanding about what they're trying to build. I doubt to this point it was a team that plays 4-4-2. Richarlison not really developing as a winger as changed the plans a good bit.

I think physically he could do a job in midfield, think he's bulked out - I remember watching his debut for Arsenal against us at Goodison and thinking how skinny and agile he looked then. Just not sure if he'd be able to do the deeper role that Ancelotti is asking Sigurdsson to do at the moment
Well Sigurdsson can't do that role at the moment either.

Not necessarily, but they are going to have to come to an understanding about what they're trying to build. I doubt to this point it was a team that plays 4-4-2. Richarlison not really developing as a winger as changed the plans a good bit.

Nah 2 things have changed our plans:

1. Ancelotti's appointment

2. DCL's inability to play up top on his own (hence why I don't massively rate him)

I think if DCL could lead the line / Kean was upto speed and scoring/playing well the manager wouldn't have a problem with Richarlison out wide.

Nah 2 things have changed our plans:

1. Ancelotti's appointment

2. DCL's inability to play up top on his own (hence why I don't massively rate him)

I think if DCL could lead the line / Kean was upto speed and scoring/playing well the manager wouldn't have a problem with Richarlison out wide.
I can't wait until DCL does play well on his own up top. Playing with Sigurdsson as the #10 is basically like playing with 10 men.

What would you say his best attribute is? I think he’s going to be another bolasie by the end of the season
Well I’m not his biggest fan, hence the ‘such as they are’ bit. I think he’s got quick feet, decent vision, upper body strength, and the ability to weight his passes. Unfortunately I wouldn’t say he was particularly quick, he can appear a little half hearted at times, and he’s horribly inconsistent.

What would you say his best attribute is? I think he’s going to be another bolasie by the end of the season
Bolasie was the best winger we had between Pienaar and now before he blew his knee out. But because everyone thought we overpaid just like they do with Iwobi he will never get any credit for that. So I guess in that respect he is like Bolasie.

Desperately hoping we can find a buyer for him in the summer. Not good enough by far and no place for him in this system. Get rid before his value drops even further. We'll be lucky to get 15m for him anyway.

Desperately hoping we can find a buyer for him in the summer. Not good enough by far and no place for him in this system. Get rid before his value drops even further. We'll be lucky to get 15m for him anyway.
But that's exactly why there is no real reason to sell him. Why immediately give up and lose money.

It's also why it is good to sign players on the younger side. Even when they don't hit the ground running there is time to work with them.

I also wouldn't be so sure we are committed to this system. Right now we can't play much else because we have no midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.