2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iwobi has plenty of skill, a great touch and can beat players, but he has a poor left foot, doesn't get into the box enough and isn't deadly. But he's quite young, has come from playing under some good managers & can improve. I wasn't aware of this but his uncle is Jay Jay Okocha.

Anthony Joshua is a big, solid, athletic lad who is quick and has a great dig on him, I don't see the difference mate, unless I'm stereotyping Joshua?
When people say he's fast or athletic, I think they're going off what he looks like and not what he actually does. That's stereotyping.

And that's exactly what you're describing when you say he looks athletic or looks pacey. Except when he plays football he does none of that. It's all preconceived notions to me. Like what moments during this season has he run faster than someone? I'm struggling to remember a single one.

Problem is he was bought to play in 4231 under Silva, either as the AM or as one of a front three that switched about

He's not a winger in a 442 that's clear, So if he can't play as part of a midfield two where does he fit in

Ancelotti has carried on with Dunc's brilliant decision to finally play 2 strikers after about 5 years or more of nonsense by our previous managers. But Ancelotti does use other formations so Iwobi will be utilised. Sigurdsson was used in CM today and not because we had no other options there. We won't play 4-4-2 for Ancelotti's whole tenure. We could try him at right-back lol.

Iwobi has plenty of skill, a great touch and can beat players, but he has a poor left foot, doesn't get into the box enough and isn't deadly. But he's quite young, has come from playing under some good managers & can improve. I wasn't aware of this but his uncle is Jay Jay Okocha.

I actually think he’s a decent player, I’m not sure he will work in a 4-4-2 ... I wish he was Jayjay - he is probably still my favourite (without doubt top 3) player that’s played in the PL

Ancelotti has carried on with Dunc's brilliant decision to finally play 2 strikers after about 5 years or more of nonsense by our previous managers. But Ancelotti does use other formations so Iwobi will be utilised. Sigurdsson was used in CM today and not because we had no other options there. We won't play 4-4-2 for Ancelotti's whole tenure. We could try him at right-back lol.
I've got to think Brands will want to move to something else. He hasn't been buying players for 4-4-2 and it is very not Dutch. I think he will work with Carlo to find something a bit more suitable.

Think he has a role in the squad going forward but clearly not an out and out winger and doesnt suit a 442. Hope to see the likes of sigurdsson and schneiderlin shipped on before iwobi as he is a good ball carrier even coming in off the left against teams who sit deep. Problem is him and bernard are quite similar players and we do have an abundance of samey players in most positions.

We have an obvious big hole on the right so if we can bring in a quality rw to start ahead of walcott and can do an job as a backup striker, see how kean does until the end of the season and hopefully hit some form, no reason we couldnt go with richy kean dcl and new rw across the front 4. That's pacey, direct and massive potential to improve. Who at rw I've no idea.

Our other obvious problems are in the middle, schneids, sigurdsson, delph and gomes all easy to bypass, little pace between them and only gomes and sigurdson have any real quality when it comes to getting us forward. Fully expecting to see wholesale changes in that position in the summer. Keep iwobi and bernard as left options with richarlison able to play there too. Right wing/striker is what we need plus a mobile, combative midfielder. Who knows we may already have him in Gbamin but clear as day we still have too many of the same type of players in the same positions. 442 is great for richy, kean and dcl but dont think it fits with the rest of the side, saying that the rest of the side had long enough to prove their worth in a system they did suit and were largely gash so time to really invest in a system that suits the likes of richarlison and dcl rather than the sigurdssons of the squad.

This is the fundamental issue with the club hiring a DoF and then not using him correctly.
Carlo's preffered system has always been 442.

Yes he has played alternative systems but always comes back to 442.

So , if you are correct , you need to balance the strengths and value to the club of the DOF and Manager / coach and decide which is more important.

I know that my vote goes to Carlo every day.

I winced a few times when he turned back with the ball looking to bring another in , however, he did not panic yesterday my confidence grew in him, so progress.

So , if you are correct , you need to balance the strengths and value to the club of the DOF and Manager / coach and decide which is more important.

I've always understood formation was down to manager in our set up. Silva or Carlo, Brands scouted particular player in certain age group to fit system.

I've got to think Brands will want to move to something else. He hasn't been buying players for 4-4-2 and it is very not Dutch. I think he will work with Carlo to find something a bit more suitable.
You think that a football pygmy like Brands should suggest to a football genius like Carlo that he should change his formation !

Yeh I’m not at all saying I don’t want Carlo just pointing out the role of the DoF hasn’t really been used properly and that’s why we’re constantly looking to sell and buy new player at a large rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.