2017/18 Ademola Lookman

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the value of Walsh as a DOF in my opinion, one good decision away from getting a player who will eventually go onto making or being worth to the club 10's of millions which i think this lad will.

It's a very difficult problem that is hard to change.

Cos another thing that helps in Germany is that a lot of these youngsters play for their clubs 2nd teams in the 3rd tier in Germany (the regional leagues), which gives them a good grounding technically and tactically, and also they get to play iin front of decent passionate crowds a lot of the time - not huge crowds of course, but the opponents they meet always have a very vocal support. It all helps them develop. But in the prem, the rerserve or U23 teams playing in a specially constructed league in front of very sparse crowd, and the competition doesn't seem as intense.

It's hard to know what can happen to help younger players develop, but I can understand why a few more may look further afield in the future.
Your second paragraph is another good point mate. It's very similar in Spain, another country where they have a very good record of bringing through top youth players to succeed at the highest level.

Maybe we need to rethink the structure of our football league system. It's going to be difficult to persuade the clubs at the lower end of the spectrum to agree to this but maybe a cash inducement might help. My thinking is that Premier, Championship and Football League 1 stay as they are, and League 2 is split into Northern League 2 and Southern League 2, with League 2 teams joined by the top academy teams and the top teams from the National League. The National league (premier) would be done away with, with National league North & South feeding into League 2 north and south.

The premier academy teams cannot be promoted/demoted from League 2 and cannot take part in any of the national cups. Although there should be some sort of system for changes within the Academy hierarchy and which ones get to play in the league. Maybe have an academy premier league and the winners replace the academy with the worst record in league 2.

Why is he naming a 35 man squad if he's naming his final 23 this week?
That's what I couldn't understand. maybe he's going to tell 12 players to be on standby in case of injurylol.

Must admit, I'm more surprised by the fact he's picking his 23 man squad this week and perhaps that's where the confusion is. I'm sure he's got until the end of the month or maybe even later before he has to do this.

That's what I couldn't understand. maybe he's going to tell 12 players to be on standby in case of injurylol.

Must admit, I'm more surprised by the fact he's picking his 23 man squad this week and perhaps that's where the confusion is. I'm sure he's got until the end of the month or maybe even later before he has to do this.

Fifa's deadline for all final squads is 4 June, with the tournament starting on 14 June.

Fifa's deadline for all final squads is 4 June, with the tournament starting on 14 June.
He may feel he knows his squad in his own head so is happy to name it now. Personally I think he's naïve at best if he doesn't take advantage of the time afforded to him by FIFA. The recent injuries to Gomez and AOC would undoubtedly have upset his plans, plus Lallana, a previous shoe in, is currently injured and has only had 3 starts all season. The left back position is still unresolved, and if he is going to play 3 at the back, which looks likely, then he hasn't even had a look at the Liverpool lad who could be a good back up to Walker at RWB. We're going into the competition with very little in the way of guile, so somebody like Lookman could be a good shout as a wild card.

Realistically, we should comfortably get out of the group and a quarter final slot would represent a successful competition for us. Personally, I'd like to see Southgate have one eye in the future by picking a young squad, and I'd be happy to see him get together a group of 35 or so, to include a dozen or more youngsters with a view to picking 1 or 2 wild cards. I'd be disappointed if we went into the world cup with the likes of Smalling, Cahill, Livermore, Defoe and an unfit Lallana in the squad.

Disgrace that Allardyce displayed no faith whatsoever in him, then stuck the knife in and once again showed no faith when Lookman had the belief to tell him he wanted to play for a top team instead of sit in our reserves. Oh how he's proven the manager wrong with his excellent form for Leipzig. I hope he comes back to us and has a decent shot at starting games next season. It's virtually impossible to be less productive than 'street footballer' Yannick Bolasie. I simply refuse to believe that guy is a professional footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.