4-2-3-1 needs swerving

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the way we're performing at the minute, it's only a matter of time until Silva starts making some changes.
The way I see it, we have three options:
Option 1: 433
Silva's prefered formation. This formation change would see Richarlison playing on the left and DCL or Tosun leading the line. It will make it way easier to link the midfield with the attack, but whoever plays striker would still need to help with the buildup play. This formation was very good when he managed Estoril and Sporting back in Portugal. It would though see Sigurdsson playing more as a number 8, which would limit his attacking potential. This formation would also see Gueye sitting back more, meaning he won't be forced to create chances.

Option 2: 4231
The problem with this formation is Gueye. He simply can't pass the ball well enough to make the formation work. The attacking four should theoretically be good since they can hold possession, but it hasn't gone to plan so far. Partly because it's difficult to get the ball forward, which is why we end up using long balls to Richy and Bernie (ffs). Silva used this formation frequently in Portugal when a good striker wasn't available. Instead, he would use four attacking midfielders or wingers as the front four. This is most likely the reason why Richarlison constantly plays up front, as he gives more flexibility than Tosun and DCL.

Option 3: 523
Silva normally doesn't use five at the back but it could in theory be a really good idea. Defensively it would be better, but it doesn't mean that we would suck offensively. Whenever we gain possession, a transition in formations would most likely occur with Zouma acting as the defensive midfielder, and thereby pushing the midfielders forward. This would also see one of the statistically best left backs in the world playing further ahead. In attack, the formation would look like this:

Pickford
Keane Mina
Coleman Zouma Digne
Gomes Sigurdsson
Lookman DCL Richarlison​

End note: Doucoure would theoretically make both 433 and 4231 way better as he can actually pass the ball.

I’m so fed up with this inconsistent formation. We’ve seen it for the past few years. By using it we should have possession of the ball, pressing as a team, retaining the ball and regaining it quickly. But our passing is poor and sloppy, Gana is the only real player who we depend on to break up the play or put pressure on a opponent. There’s no pace in our game slow and cumbersome. Giving the opposition time to regroup. When we can’t regain possession and are under a lot of pressure the midfield are forced back and compressed into a 4-5-1, Leaving the striker isolated with very little support. Making it harder for the kid who’s strongest position is on the Wing. The full-backs can also be trapped behind their midfielders unable to get forward like we’ve seen successful under Moyes. Playing it week in week out shouldn’t be an option it clearly doesn’t work away from home. We need to plan and adjust our side to exploit our opponents weaknesses. We’ve got another options on the bench to do that. What do you guys think?

Think it's time to step it up and pull out the 4-4-3 formation, with a diamond midfield, reverting to the Christmas tree formation when defending a lead.
Playing with a false number 9 who can also play as a irreversible winger if needed

I think we should go 4-3-3 and you could still play Richarlison up top. You don't need a target man in a high press 4-3-3, look at Liverpool.

Our current formation just leaves this huge gap between the two DMs and the 10. It is being exploited every game and we lose the battle in midfield. No one is carrying the ball. I think lately it also is stilfing Gomes. Davies downturn in form is because he is being asked to play this role alongside Gueye when he is a box to box midfielder.

We win more points with Davies in the side, not because he is our best midfielder but because he presses high and carries the ball forward when he gets it. Look at goals earlier this season.

For me, we should play:

Pickford
Kenny Keane Zouma Digne
Gueye
Gomes Sigurdson
Lookman Richarlison Bernard

I don't think our startling line up at Southampton is the problem but the roles the players are being asked to play. It stifles their strengths and leaves big gaps. The striker is tasked with holding the ball up and bringing the N10 into the game when he can't do that. He should be breaking the offside trap and getting behind defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.