4-2-3-1 needs swerving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson13

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
I’m so fed up with this inconsistent formation. We’ve seen it for the past few years. By using it we should have possession of the ball, pressing as a team, retaining the ball and regaining it quickly. But our passing is poor and sloppy, Gana is the only real player who we depend on to break up the play or put pressure on a opponent. There’s no pace in our game slow and cumbersome. Giving the opposition time to regroup. When we can’t regain possession and are under a lot of pressure the midfield are forced back and compressed into a 4-5-1, Leaving the striker isolated with very little support. Making it harder for the kid who’s strongest position is on the Wing. The full-backs can also be trapped behind their midfielders unable to get forward like we’ve seen successful under Moyes. Playing it week in week out shouldn’t be an option it clearly doesn’t work away from home. We need to plan and adjust our side to exploit our opponents weaknesses. We’ve got another options on the bench to do that. What do you guys think?

I’m so fed up with this inconsistent formation. We’ve seen it for the past few years. By using it we should have possession of the ball, pressing as a team, retaining the ball and regaining it quickly. But our passing is poor and sloppy, Gana is the only real player who we depend on to break up the play or put pressure on a opponent. There’s no pace in our game slow and cumbersome. Giving the opposition time to regroup. When we can’t regain possession and are under a lot of pressure the midfield are forced back and compressed into a 4-5-1, Leaving the striker isolated with very little support. Making it harder for the kid who’s strongest position is on the Wing. The full-backs can also be trapped behind their midfielders unable to get forward like we’ve seen successful under Moyes. Playing it week in week out shouldn’t be an option it clearly doesn’t work away from home. We need to plan and adjust our side to exploit our opponents weaknesses. We’ve got another options on the bench to do that. What do you guys think?
Give me the 4-2-3-1 as:
Pickford

Coleman Keane Zouma Digne

Gomes Davies/McCarthy

Bernard Richarlson Lookman

Siggy/Tosun​

Problems solved and wins in our future with that lineup

We've been playing it for a long time now and haven't had any consistent joy with it since Martinez's first season. The best spell under Koeman was when we played a 4-3-3 with Schneiderlin, Gana and Davies in midfield with Mirallas, Lukaku and Barkley taking up the attacking spots.

Think our big problem though is just the sheer inconsistentcy of the players. Gomes, Sigurdsson, Bernard, Lookman (to a lesser extent) , Richarlison... We all know what these guys can do on their day but they just aren't turning up right now. It's incredibly frustrating.

I think we need patience.

Looking back at the summer, Richarlison, Digne, Gomes, Zouma, Bernard are all upgrades. It'll take time, and i'm confident we'll get there.

However, we're badly packing pace, and creativity down the middle, and i've seen it now with the last 5 managers, the necessity of playing 2 DMs, we don't need it. Certainly not with Gana not being able to pass it more than 2 yards. The problem is we don't have the players to be creative... yet.

For me, i'd play Sigurdsson a little deeper, stick Bernard as your number 10, have Richarlison back on the wing, and play DCL upfront.

Give me the 4-2-3-1 as:
Pickford

Coleman Keane Zouma Digne

Gomes Davies/McCarthy

Bernard Richarlson Lookman

Siggy/Tosun​

Problems solved and wins in our future with that lineup
Also think that we will transition into a 4-3-3 with a deep lying playmaker, 2 number 8s, and a striker that can both drop back an play as a false 9 or pin the defense deep getting in behind/holding play up.

Status
Not open for further replies.