4-2-3-1 needs swerving

Status
Not open for further replies.
4-1-3-2 for me.

———-Richarlison — DCL————
Bernard — Sigurdsson — Lookman
—————— Gueye ——————-
When our defenders have the ball there will be no link from the back to the front. Siggy doesn’t or is slow to get back and unless Bernard or Lookman are tracking their man with the ball back they don’t drop all to much either so that leaves Gana being the sole link between attack and defense which is a disaster waiting to happen. That team will be a launch it long and chase team to the very end

For me we need to make use of the one thing we have at the moment which is pace.

Lookman, Richarlison and Walcott interchangeable front 3 would cause so much problems for defenders it's would be worth giving a shot.

A midfield three of Sigurdsson, Gomes and Gueye which means Gomes doesn't just get targeted all game because Sigurdsson is the other playmaking options in the middle of the park. While on attack, Gueye can sit with two centre backs. All cover ground and work hard for the team.

Defensively a straight 4 of Digne, Mina, Keane and Kenny. Best ball playing defenders we have. Sit them deeper and they are definitely more solid defensively and on attack look for direct or diagonally balls played over the top to allow the front 3 to run onto.

Against Millwall and Huddersfield we should be trying this to go gun ho at teams

If you're playing a 4-2-3-1 then both players in the pivot have to be able to link defence and attack. Gomes does that, Gueye doesn't, while Sigurdsson doesn't offer himself as an option between the lines as he doesn't have the skillset to receive the ball and assist in build-up. Therefore everyone marks Gomes out of the game, we're forced out to the wings or forced to go direct where the opposition can regain the ball more easily (Especially on the right where Coleman and Walcott are turnover machines). Silva has always said his preferred formation is 4-3-3, he doesn't have the suitable personnel to pull it off (Sigurdsson can't play in that system as, again, he doesn't have the skillset to do so and we don't have a natural like-for-like replacement there that's up to the required standard).

We need new players. and quite a few of them to fix our problems. Make no doubt about it

I think we should try and get some hipster retro kudos by trying to successfully resurrect the 2-3-5 pyramid formation.

Goals galore!

(Not necessarily for us mind, but still...)

I don't think any top team is playing it anymore. RS, City, Chelsea and United all play 4-3-3. Spurs have been mostly using a 4-4-2 diamond. Arsenal use various formations but rarely 4-2-3-1. Abroad you have Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and Bayern all playing 4-3-3. Napoli are playing either 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. Atletico play 4-4-2. PSG switch between 4-3-3 and 3-4-3. The only top team really using 4-2-3-1 consistently that I can think of is Dortmund. And the point being that clearly the general footballing world has figured it out and other ways of playing have gone to the fore again. We need to realize this and try to get ahead of the curve.

If you're playing a 4-2-3-1 then both players in the pivot have to be able to link defence and attack. Gomes does that, Gueye doesn't, while Sigurdsson doesn't offer himself as an option between the lines as he doesn't have the skillset to receive the ball and assist in build-up. Therefore everyone marks Gomes out of the game, we're forced out to the wings or forced to go direct where the opposition can regain the ball more easily (Especially on the right where Coleman and Walcott are turnover machines). Silva has always said his preferred formation is 4-3-3, he doesn't have the suitable personnel to pull it off (Sigurdsson can't play in that system as, again, he doesn't have the skillset to do so and we don't have a natural like-for-like replacement there that's up to the required standard).

We need new players. and quite a few of them to fix our problems. Make no doubt about it
I know he isn't the best player in the world, but I think Tom Davies fits into the 4-3-3 system Marco has said he likes. Gylfi was awful this week despite the goal so he isn't irreplaceable and as this thread suggests it is time to try something new. If we don't want to do that then I'd go back to the 3-4-3. At least it's harder to score on us.

Based on the players available and their strengths or otherwise I’d have to go for 3 at the back, which I’m typically not a fan of.

Not as much blind guesswork when it comes to CB rotation (play all 3) and FBs are less of a liability in defensive terms.

Pickford

Mina
Keane-a
Zouma

Coleman
Gomes
Gana
Siggy
Digne

Richarlison
Lookman/Bernard

Hopefully the mobility of the WBs and their higher starting position would mean forwards aren’t as isolated; conversely Siggy’s deeper starting position would hopefully mean he doesn’t get caught too high up the pitch to often and we have real pace on the counter.

We’d still Everton it up, I’m sure.

I would try the 4-3-3 with Gueye, Gomes & Davies - with Gomes as the deepest of the 3 playing as a deep lying playmaker and the other two closing down and trying to win the ball back. After possession turnovers the aim should be to hit one of the front 3 ASAP with a pass to get us on the attack. Too often we are meandering in our build up, let the opposition get set and then can't find a pass forward between the lines despite on paper suppoesdly having four attackign players in these situations. It's not ideal but considering how stale 4-2-3-1 is at times I would like to see it at least tried.

Two main issues right now.

From the start of the season our players in posession are too far apart. Watch us with the ball and we utilise the entire width of the pitch meaning the gaps are large (not helped with Gylfi meant to be at 10 but playing as a second forward) and that causes big issues. Also then add to that the fact that we cannot keep the ball whatsover even under little pressure and we have really big issues.

We need to start playing a more compact system ASAP.

Sarri and Silva, both seem to have teams that dont try. Is this is because they are trying to put a system on to a 1st 11 squad it doesnt fit? (*1) and contains players that can't play it.
Yet Solskjar rocks up, plays a system that seems suit (2*)what he was lumbered with...7 wins is it now.

2* the players like it, everybody happy, tripes pulled out all over the pitch even by Pogba.
1* the players don't like it (Hazard etc) tackles pulled out of all over the pitch.

10yrs ago Moyes was getting it in the neck for square pegs in round holes
Both Everton and Chelsea squads have tried it on with their last 3 or 4 managers...and mostly got away with it, aided and abetted buy inflexible managers.

The fact remains its cheaper and easier to get rid of managers than players...or to buy new ones for that matter.

Change your tune Silva.

Status
Not open for further replies.