3 at the back

Sell cleverly

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What did we think?

Was a thing of nightmares under Bobby but thought it worked really well for us until we tired. Would be happy to see us stick with it

It worked well most of the time. As you say, once we tired we looked vulnerable, but Cleverly coming on at the end made us look more solid.

With Lukaku up top being able to hold up the ball with Del playing off him I would like it. Would like Williams, Mori and another CB signing as first choices if we went down this road. The signing of Bolasie to me says it'll be 4-2-3-1 against most sides with the 3-5-2 against the top teams like he done at Southampton.
lukaku being able to hold up the ball? im struggling to remember last time that happened mate to be honest !

Not something I'd do every week especially with Barkley, forces him to play on the wing. However it's good o have another string to your bow and to be able to mix things up or even to be able to use when injuries/suspensions start becoming issues.

Ensure all of the squad know exactly how the team will work but don't use it week in week out.

We tired they had to score a great goal to equalise it's the first half we could have been 3-0 up game over we stopped their full backs in the first half 2 Nd Hal they had all the room they wanted!
Three at the back looked good to me like when we played UNT!
A useful ploy Del and Km had chances TBF!

We've got a pretty good set of players to pick from for the backline- Jags, Williams, Funes Mori, Holgate (who I am very impressed by!), and possibly another signing so I think we'd be playing to our strengths playing 3 centre halves, and the license it gives our fullbacks to bomb forward is nice.

Hate the system. The three at the back have to be really in synch and that only comes by playing it week in and week out....which it never is, it's always a stop gap to accommodate shifting personnel around when some players aren't available.

In all likelihood we caught spurs off guard with something they weren't prepared for so its probably not a long term solution. I can't see us with 3 in the back if its going to be Jags/Williams most of the time. However we changed things up to fit the personel we had on the pitch. ex. Holgate in his 1st match, don't have him bomb forward, and put McCarthy over there to help out. Everyone pretty much seemed comfortable in their roles which is something I haven't witnessed in a while.

In all likelihood we caught spurs off guard with something they weren't prepared for so its probably not a long term solution. I can't see us with 3 in the back if its going to be Jags/Williams most of the time. However we changed things up to fit the personel we had on the pitch. ex. Holgate in his 1st match, don't have him bomb forward, and put McCarthy over there to help out. Everyone pretty much seemed comfortable in their roles which is something I haven't witnessed in a while.
Williams Funes Mori/Kone for me.

Funes Mori gives us goal threat also, so i'd start as soon as we can with a CB pairing of Williams and Mori.

Status
Not open for further replies.