3 at the back

Sell cleverly

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we had a back four with McCarthy as an auxiliary right back. Just thought that left us a bit short in midfield at times but thankfully Gueye and Barry managed to cover magnificently.

I'm even more confused. McCarthy was a right back for most of the first half and all the time until he was substituted in the second half. Baines was Baines, but if that was wing back then so be it.
Whatever it was, I can't see that sort of formation lasting long - certainly not with McCarthy in there.

McCarthy was there because Coleman was injured. It's a safer formation and will likely see it pretty often as it easily goes to 4-3-3 when needed.

What did we think?

Was a thing of nightmares under Bobby but thought it worked really well for us until we tired. Would be happy to see us stick with it

This is the great thing about Koeman - he will change from game to game.

We needed solidity today - even more so with the injuries - so having that base of 3/5 at the back, plus the Barry/Gana shield in front, combined with the pace up top worked wonders.

Ultimately we just didn't have the quality to make it work in the first half, when we did to Spurs what most teams will not do this season and that is totally dominate them and nullify their threat.

Poch completely changed the game with that sub and good options off the bench in those types of areas are what we lack at the moment, though it is clear - as Koeman predicted - that we are missing the fitness for that last 20 mins.

Interesting to see Jags, who was great today, admit that as well. I think it's clear, as much as I stuck up for him last term, that the players well and truly feel Martinez set them back.

thought this was put in place for a couple reasons:

1) to hide our lack of RB in a 4 man defense
2) to cede possession and set us up for a counter to use Deulofeu's pace against Spurs' high back line and slowish centerbacks
3) to help cope with Spurs superior physicality (probably the largest and most athletic side in the league)
4) to allow a relatively deep defensive line while pushing tottenham into our d mids

worked really well in my opinion. should be a strong tactic for us through out the year.

I think the reason we didn't see the wingbacks push up much is because there was barely any point in crossing the ball. is deulofeu, mirallas or barkley going to win a header against the spurs CBs and Dier? baines was definitely available some for combination play, but mccarthy was probably being a bit more conservative to protect himself and holgate.

Coleman gets fit, he'll go to 4 at the back.

Playing 3 is just an option we can used. Playing it in preseason just means we're not just changing it for a laugh in the league

With Lukaku up top being able to hold up the ball with Del playing off him I would like it. Would like Williams, Mori and another CB signing as first choices if we went down this road. The signing of Bolasie to me says it'll be 4-2-3-1 against most sides with the 3-5-2 against the top teams like he done at Southampton.
This plan already fell flat on its arse mate, sorry.

I quite like the idea of 3 at the back.
Jagielka, Williams and Funes Mori with the likes of Galloway and Holgate as back up.
Enables Coleman and Baines to get forward more too.

GK

Jagielka Williams Funes Mori

Coleman Gueye Baines

Mirallas Barkley Bolasie

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.