2019/20 - Minimum Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer to look at the league in terms of an improvement in points gained.

65 points as an end target is a stretch but not completely unreasonable. It brings us closer to the top group but we can't control what they do.

If we hit 62 I'd be happy.

That would bring us UEL qualification comfortably.

As for the cups, with no Europe we need to improve in both, the League Cup being the obvious one to focus on.

You really need to win a cup to regard it as worthwhile but in terms of minimum expectation, I'd say semi-final.

We may regress next season sadly. To stand still we need to sign Zouma, Gomes and retain Gueye. If we fail with all three we then have to replace them on the pitch from either within the club already or bed new signings in again.

On top of that we will still need a new striker to hit the ground running, a new right back and potentially a couple of midfielders. We also still need to shift a lot of garbage off the books to be able to do this.

It could be another long season.

4th. If we've a good manager. Some pub team made the champions league final 2 years running under good management. So see what Silva is made out of.

Fifth or sixth, cup final, good football, Liverpool have proved to me you don't need the best footballers, just the maximum effort. P.S sorry for bringing them up in this thread, just an example of sugarcane achieved with maximum effort.

As well as seeing a decent, consistent season in the league, I'd like to see us go all-out to win both cups. With all respect to lower league teams, a cup run is something they often look for, to generate a bit of money as much as anything else - whereas it's of fairly limited use to us. I've always felt that if we don't win a cup final then we may as well have been dumped out early on, as all it really means is additional games that may affect league form with no prize at the end. But this season we were awful in both cups, so next time I don't want any messing around, weakened teams etc. If you offered me a guaranteed 17th and either of the cups (don't mind which), I'd take it - it's been far too long without a trophy.

tl;dr: a cup and anything above the relegation places.

60 pts as an absolute minimum hopefully by getting 19 league wins minimum and less than 10 losses. A cup final (maybe two), and to be entertained thoroughly is also essential. Is that too much to ask?

19 league wins should be achievable if we turn some of our draws / losses this year into banked wins, i.e. Newcastle away, Bournemouth away etc. The league position will sort itself (fingers crossed).

I would add that it's difficult to measure what is realistic right now. We'll only have a better gauge when the window closes on the Thursday before our first match.

Status
Not open for further replies.