19th January - Everton vs. West Brom

Should Martinez be sacked (if we're 15th or lower come WBA?)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask why people would trust Martinez in a relegation fight, given his career track record and our form this season?

He has been found out - teams are wanting to play us - we play so slowly it suits the opposition.

I would not trust him, as we should not be in one in the first place (with the team we have)

I was so p1ssed off after stoke I voted against him. Today though I thought we were greatly improved. Martinez can hardly be blamed for cisse unmarked in the box for their 1st, mcgeady performing like Alan Biley or Ross' suicidal backpass. Have said we're in relegation dogfight for weeks but weirdly think we should get behind Martinez now and hoping he can turn it round

No, give him time to prove, or otherwise, that this is just a bad spell.
No way would I sack him in January. We have the ability in the squad to turn this round, he deserves a chance to do so.

If we sack him now, and get a "pragmatic" manager in to "steady the ship" then you can forget about European football for the forseeable.

Reasonable, as I obviously consider Martinez a good manager when things are going well. But it's a massive risk to take and you're essentially relying on three clubs being somehow worse than us until the season ends.

We may be fortunate that the league is just that bad really.

Reasonable, as I obviously consider Martinez a good manager when things are going well. But it's a massive risk to take and you're essentially relying on three clubs being somehow worse than us until the season ends.

We may be fortunate that the league is just that bad really.

We have a decent squad, but have players coming to the end of their careers who need replacing. We either go with someone like Martinez who has the skills to take us onto the next level, and take a chance that it backfires, or we play safe and go back to aiming for 40 points per season with anything else being a bonus

Martinez' insistence on playing the ball out of defence when under pressure with players who don't have the necessary skills, is infuriating, but I'd rather give him the chance to show us what he can do over the next 18 months before binning him. We won't get relegated under Martinez, there are many worse teams in the League than Wigan when they were relegated and we're a lot better than Wigan.

We have a decent squad, but have players coming to the end of their careers who need replacing. We either go with someone like Martinez who has the skills to take us onto the next level, and take a chance that it backfires, or we play safe and go back to aiming for 40 points per season with anything else being a bonus

Martinez' insistence on playing the ball out of defence when under pressure with players who don't have the necessary skills, is infuriating, but I'd rather give him the chance to show us what he can do over the next 18 months before binning him. We won't get relegated under Martinez, there are many worse teams in the League than Wigan when they were relegated and we're a lot better than Wigan.

It's not about the quality of the squad in this situation, it's about application. You don't survive with tiki taka using a bunch of players bereft of confidence.

We can say there are worse teams, but hand on heart who can you pick out us beating at the moment? QPR we won by default as they are comfortably the worst team in the league. We'd beat Leicester, Burnley... the list ends there for me. And the difference between us and them are that they are sides who can raise the tempo and battle against the bigger sides and get the odd point.

I can honestly see this Everton side losing half a dozen on the bounce quite regularly with the way we are playing, as QPR aside there isn't an easier team to play against right now.

it's a bad run we're having where literally every player is getting injured atm. we've had so so many injuries atm, of course the manager is to blame for some aspects, but we are getting appalling luck everywhere you look. today was anotehr possible 3 points if the ref does his job properly. i saw about 20 mins of the match, so can't really comment on the performance, but from what i saw we should have been 1 up playing 10 me, instead we were 1-1 with 11v11.

got to be honest, the performances may be better under a different manager, but would the injuries? we had 4 of our first choice back 5 missing again today.

why are people saying they wouldn't want martinez as our manager for a relegation dogfight if it came to that? he's vastly experienced in them and up until the last one continually kept a wigan team up that were punching above their weight.

sack him for someone with no relegation fight experience? ok.

2 seasons in, 1 record breaking one and one equally as poor one. not sure that's an overally justification for sacking myself, at the end of the day, regardless of the formation, all 11 who he's being forced to put out there are playing like a pack of retards. i'd gladly sack half of our underforming senior players before the manager tbh.

more to the point people are missing in these threads is this.

We shouldn't even be in a relegation fight to begin with.

ask those sorts of questions from the manager

It's not about the quality of the squad in this situation, it's about application. You don't survive with tiki taka using a bunch of players bereft of confidence.

We can say there are worse teams, but hand on heart who can you pick out us beating at the moment? QPR we won by default as they are comfortably the worst team in the league. We'd beat Leicester, Burnley... the list ends there for me. And the difference between us and them are that they are sides who can raise the tempo and battle against the bigger sides and get the odd point.

I can honestly see this Everton side losing half a dozen on the bounce quite regularly with the way we are playing, as QPR aside there isn't an easier team to play against right now.

We are gash right now.

If we we're 15th or lower after WBA then, the chances are, if we sacked Martinez and got someone like Pulis or McClaren in then I don't doubt they'd steady the ship and have us safely ensconced in mid-table, but what then ? Stick with that sort of manager and accept mediocrity for the next five or ten years ?

Martinez is making mistakes and needs to learn from them. I don't take much notice of what he says in public, I'm hoping, in private, he takes a more pragmatic viewpoint.

2 seasons in, 1 record breaking one and one equally as poor one. not sure that's an overally justification for sacking myself, at the end of the day, regardless of the formation, all 11 who he's being forced to put out there are playing like a pack of retards. i'd gladly sack half of our underforming senior players before the manager tbh.

It's not an indictment on his ability to manage players in good form, but it'd simply be a business decision. You can't stick with a man with his track record this season and beyond when millions upon millions of pound are at stake. He had years to mould Wigan into a side that would have a solid defence and managed to actually make them worse year on year and eventually took them down - we can't run the risk of history repeating itself, just on the off-chance that we'll get better and benefit from his obvious talents as a manager with form players.

If the option was there to sack him for 6 months and hire him when we were safe, I'd take it. But it isn't, so it's a case of pick your poison here - do you stand by him and hope we survive somehow, or you get rid and allow someone in who'd have a better chance of immediately making the changes that allow talented players to play high tempo football, before we're under too much pressure to cope.

It's not an indictment on his ability to manage players in good form, but it'd simply be a business decision. You can't stick with a man with his track record this season and beyond when millions upon millions of pound are at stake. He had years to mould Wigan into a side that would have a solid defence and managed to actually make them worse year on year and eventually took them down - we can't run the risk of history repeating itself, just on the off-chance that we'll get better and benefit from his obvious talents as a manager with form players.

If the option was there to sack him for 6 months and hire him when we were safe, I'd take it. But it isn't, so it's a case of pick your poison here - do you stand by him and hope we survive somehow, or you get rid and allow someone in who'd have a better chance of immediately making the changes that allow talented players to play high tempo football, before we're under too much pressure to cope.

teams that get relegated are teams that will lose 7 on the trot etc. the last 3 games have been utterly atrocious and relegation standard, but we'll definitely stay up. i'm not going to worry about that, the league on a whole is so so bad this season it's not possible in my mind.

he's young and managing his first season in europe - if we had nowhere near the injury list we've had we wouldn't be struggling anywhere near as bad and he would have been able to do his job much better imo.

his back 5 was picked for him today, with the exception of LB - any manager would struggle trying to get results with the teams he's continually having to put out. the formation slating is bang on, he's been pissing around for ages, but you see people like wenger and we saw it with moyes making the same mistake week after week after week despite being vastly experienced. i'd rather we let him make his mistakes here when he's young and reap the rewards in the long term than bin him off at the first sign of trouble.

we're everton, if our yard dog teams of the 90's didn't get relegated, this bunch certainly won't.

also, anyone would struggle to attract players to wigan. i think he sacrificed the defence aspect because they never had a good attack either and had to go out attacking to get results. they never had a squad good enough to stay up year on year, yet he kept doing it and won an FA Cup in the process.

i don't see many managers out there who would change our fortunes much atm tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.