Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye up......I have just checked and we were level points with Bolton in the end so even more kudos to Gareth :)

His goal kept us up ;)

are you aware of the goal that was disallowed when we played bolton that season?

it should have stood, and those who say we don't have much luck would do well to remember it

2-0 down in 1994 was spades worse than 1998 at any time.

Totally agree, 1994 was much worse imo. Wimbledon hadn't conceded three goals all season and most in the ground knew this when we two nil down. I don't remember 1998 being as tense and there certainly weren't the wild celebrations afterwards - cars flying Everton flags all night in the City Centre.

My abiding memory of the Coventry game other than the goal and result, was failing to make it meet my then girlfriend due to going to town on the lash afterwards and being finished with the following day !

Last edited:
I remember Coventry and that was one hell of a poor side we had but 94 for me, terrible manager, rudderless, battered at Leeds week before and we looked absolutely nailed.on for relegation even before a ball had been kicked. Wimbledon had a boss season that year and played decent stuff at times 2-0 down and no one showing themselves able to lead from the front. Step up Graham Stuart, Everton hero, legend in my eyes because it took balls of steel to take that pen. Funnily enough @Groucho I am sure Southall was actually going to take the pen!

In 1994 I felt quite confident because on paper Ipswich looked far more likely to go down than us. I think they had a tough away fixture that they were expected to lose, meaning we'd only need a draw to stay up. But in 1998 I was pretty certain it was the end.

The game was every bit as tense as the Wimbledon one. Having took the lead we had the chance to make it safe when awarded a penalty -- we missed it. Then Myhre cocked up on an easy save from a Dublin (?) header meaning we had to sweat it out for the last 15 minutes or so. I for one couldn't take it and spent the rest out of the game walking up and down Gwladys St trying to interpret the roars.

Dublin scored later than that, about 88-89 mins I think, but injury time did feel like 15 minutes, I agree there!

Aye up......I have just checked and we were level points with Bolton in the end so even more kudos to Gareth :)

His goal kept us up ;)

....folk in the Park End automatically ducked when he took aim he was so woeful but on that occasion it flew in and his name was etched in our history. Well in fella.

I'd just gone to NZ and been there a couple of months, there was certainly no footy on the telly there & I dont recall listening to world service either although I'm sure I must have done but I really dont remember ?

Remember being sat on a bunk with it on the radio in Sydney in 94 though, and a Chelsea fan saying "You won't go down, Everton don't go down, it's teams like us that go down."

In 94 I was sat there as scores of fans scampered past me to get on the pitch at full-time. I was watching them jumping up and down and thinking 'I remember being here celebrating winning trophies, now we're celebrating staying up ffs'.

Obviously I know it was the relief of not going down, but it really annoyed me. I felt we should have all stayed outside the ground booing all concerned with the Club and throwing rotten fruit and veg at them, letting them know that it was totally unacceptable for Everton to have gotten themselves into such a position. Instead the Wimbledon players leaving the ground got a round of applause from Everton fans.

I remember Coventry and that was one hell of a poor side we had but 94 for me, terrible manager, rudderless, battered at Leeds week before and we looked absolutely nailed.on for relegation even before a ball had been kicked. Wimbledon had a boss season that year and played decent stuff at times 2-0 down and no one showing themselves able to lead from the front. Step up Graham Stuart, Everton hero, legend in my eyes because it took balls of steel to take that pen. Funnily enough @Groucho I am sure Southall was actually going to take the pen!
Southall was prepared to take it.

are you aware of the goal that was disallowed when we played bolton that season?

it should have stood, and those who say we don't have much luck would do well to remember it

Yes, I am aware but I also believe their man handled the ball before he put the ball over the line and I have always said the "goal" was righteously chalked off but for the wrong reason.

Again, I am open to correction on that.....I have not seen a replay since the night it happened.

Dublin scored later than that, about 88-89 mins I think, but injury time did feel like 15 minutes, I agree there!
Didn't Judas Barmby miss a pen to put us out of site at 2-0?,then Tommy threw Dublins header in and I was bricking it totally for the last few minutes and injury time,horrible day,but again just relief,anyone thinks this side now is bad,they should have witnessed that season,how there were three worse teams than us I'll never know,but thank christ there were:)

Anders Limpar macca,what was he thinking when he gave the pen away on the edge of the box?Then he went and won a pen with a kopitesque dive at the knocked down Park End which got us back in it,I can never forget how desolate I felt when we were 2-0 down,I honestly could not see a way back,but the crowd won it IMHO,Vinny Jones and co literally pooped their pants at a frothing,baying GP particularly in the second halflol

Status
Not open for further replies.