Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1994 I felt quite confident because on paper Ipswich looked far more likely to go down than us. I think they had a tough away fixture that they were expected to lose, meaning we'd only need a draw to stay up. But in 1998 I was pretty certain it was the end.

The game was every bit as tense as the Wimbledon one. Having took the lead we had the chance to make it safe when awarded a penalty -- we missed it. Then Myhre cocked up on an easy save from a Dublin (?) header meaning we had to sweat it out for the last 15 minutes or so. I for one couldn't take it and spent the rest out of the game walking up and down Gwladys St trying to interpret the roars.

The pitch invasion at the end was good, and in the pub after singing 'we are the greatest team, the world has ever seen', after staying up on goal difference.

That was one of our lowest ebbs.

Hardly any quality at all. At least in 1994 Nev was still decent, and we had the bare bones of a side, but 1998 was bereft of any sort of talent in any shape.

Horrible times. We need to be careful they don't return.

I remember listening to the game on the radio whilst putting shelves up to try and keep my mind occupied, still got the highlights on video tape somewhere. I really wasn't confident about the Coventry game, in 94 I wasn't worried at all for some reason, not sure I could cope with any more last day scrapes again and hopefully won't have to.

You know, I have little recollection of the last few weeks if that season.

I think the difference between that game against Cov and Wimbledon Day was we had it in our own hands......someone correct me if I am wrong.

There wasn't the sense of impending doom I felt in the week leading up to the Wimbledon game, when even a ten goal win wouldn't have guaranteed safety.

From memory, I think once news came through that Chelsea had scored against Bolton we knew we were safe even if Cov won.

Whatever......Gareth Farrellly has never received the recognition he deserves fiorsettling our nerves that day ;)

....awful time, sickening. Remember the picture of Brian Labone walking along Goodison Rd not able to watch the last 15 minutes. I remind myself of this time when folk moan about mid table mediocracy, I recall saying at the time that I would never complain again about coming 12th. I also said I would never wish this on any other team (except one of course), which is why I didn't vote on the thread asking for relegation preference.

Aye up......I have just checked and we were level points with Bolton in the end so even more kudos to Gareth :)

His goal kept us up ;)

Which was the one where some Kopites sent a coffin to Goodison?

That was 94. I was only 6 at the time and my mum and dad were living in Kent, so missed it. Dad and his fellow Blue mate caught a flight from one of the LDN airports and back in a day. When they were at the local boozer before the game, my cousin rang my dad to say that some horrible Kopites were walking down the Bullens Road with Coffins.

When they got back to Kent that evening some bloke didn't believe they'd gone to the game and back in a day. My dad always says the guys face was a picture when he pulled out his programme.

I went to 98. I can't remember a massive amount being 10 but I do recall taking a little hand held radio in with me and an ear piece. All the arl fellas trying to get updates about the Bolton game. Some fella behind us said Bolton had netted at some point and I remember I started crying, my dad said don't worry we'll be ok. Thankfully he was right. That feeling when Coventry scored, awful. I thought that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.