12 foreign players in the squad, who would ours be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew Robertson at the vermin isnt considered homegrown.

So Naismith wouldnt have been.

James McCarthy, who is Scottish, is classed as homegrown, due to him signing for Wigan at a young age.
So the deal, presumably, will be the same as it is now but with a maximum of 12 non home grown rather than 17.

I can't see the top premier league clubs signing up to that personally. If they don't, what will the fall back position be? Presumably current EU players will need to go through the same work permit procedure as non EU players do now.

I believe Sigurdsson, Coleman, and Schneiderlin would class as home grown due to the length of time they have been domiciled in the UK

Not sure. How does that rule currently apply to Scottish and NI players who didn't come through the English youth system. Like Naismith. Was he classed as one of our home grown players?. I can't remember.

They have to have been at an English club at a young age, regardless of nationality I believe.

I believe Sigurdsson, Coleman, and Schneiderlin would class as home grown due to the length of time they have been domiciled in the UK
Siggy yes. Coleman no as we didn't buy him until he was 20. Schneiderlin is also a yes but don't think it matters as he won't be here much longer anyway.

In the fallout from Brexit, it would mean that European players no longer have an automatic right to play in the Premier League. The FA would like to therefore reduce the number of foreign players teams can have in their squad from 17 to 12 (we currently have 14, 22 if you count those out on loan), but those players would now be free from any entry requirements, meaning players like Onyekuru would be free to play. If this were to happen, which 12 from our 21 foreign players would you have in the squad?

Who would our 12 be?

1GKJordan Pickford
2DFMason Holgate
3DFLeighton Baines (vice-captain)
4DFMichael Keane
5DFKurt Zouma (on loan from Chelsea)
6DFPhil Jagielka (captain)
8MFAndré Gomes (on loan from Barcelona)
10MFGylfi Sigurðsson
11FWTheo Walcott
12DFLucas Digne
13DFYerry Mina
14FWCenk Tosun
16MFJames McCarthy
17MFIdrissa Gueye
18MFMorgan Schneiderlin

19FWOumar Niasse
20FWBernard
22GKMaarten Stekelenburg
23DFSéamus Coleman (3rd captain)
26MFTom Davies
28MFKieran Dowell
29FWDominic Calvert-Lewin
30FWRicharlison
31FWAdemola Lookman
33GKJoão Virgínia
34MFBeni Baningime
35DFTyias Browning
36DFBrendan Galloway
41GKMateusz Hewelt
43DFJonjoe Kenny

Out on loan
7FWYannick Bolasie (at Aston Villa until June 2019)
9FWSandro Ramírez (at Real Sociedad until June 2019)
15DFCuco Martina (at Stoke City until June 2019)
21MFMuhamed Bešić (at Middlesbrough until June 2019)
27FWNikola Vlašić (at CSKA Moscow until June 2019)
32MFJoe Williams (at Bolton Wanderers until June 2019)
38DFMatthew Pennington (at Ipswich Town until June 2019)

49DFAntonee Robinson (at Wigan Athletic until June 2019)
DFCallum Connolly (at Wigan Athletic until June 2019)
DFLuke Garbutt (at Oxford United until June 2019)
DFAshley Williams (at Stoke City until June 2019)
FWKevin Mirallas (at Fiorentina until June 2019)
FWHenry Onyekuru (at Galatasaray until June 2019)
FWShani Tarashaj (at Grasshoppers until June 2019)
Another reason to remain.

In the fallout from Brexit, it would mean that European players no longer have an automatic right to play in the Premier League. The FA would like to therefore reduce the number of foreign players teams can have in their squad from 17 to 12 (we currently have 14, 22 if you count those out on loan), but those players would now be free from any entry requirements, meaning players like Onyekuru would be free to play.

I can't see how this works? Removing any entry requirements for immigrant workers whose trade happens to be playing football? Do homegrown players not get the benefits of Brexit that other homegrown workers will be granted in this golden age of prosperity that is coming as we take back control?

There's also the difference between home-grown players and British players who are citizens with the right to work here. If a player who has been in England for 10 years becomes a citizen then would they not have a stronger claim to work as a footballer than someone like Gerard Pique*, who despite being Spanish counts as a homegrown player due to his years at Man Utd as a youngster.

*I'm assuming Pique doesn't have British citizenship for this example

A bit of a strange move from the F.A. this. I know that controlling immigration is supposedly one of the main drivers for the Brexit vote in the first place, but given the power and insouciance of the big clubs (witness discussions over a breakaway Euro super-league), it would not surprise if it went completely the other way and they removed all limits on foreign players for the craic.

If the criteria stays as it is ie 36 months in an academy if England or Wales before 21st birthday I think we will manage it easily. If it becomes more complicated we might get caught out as players like Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin will no longer count.

Taking the thread on a slightly different direction, where do people think we would finish if you had to field 11 English players in the first 11? I genuinely think we would finish top 5....
Pickford
Keane
Jags
Holgate
Baines
Kenney
Davies
Dowell
Lookman
Walcott
Calvert-Lewin

When you start to go through the other teams, most would stuggle in a number of key positions. We are quite well covered all round except maybe in CM, but everyone is a full international or U21...

Actually, soddit. I think we would win the league!

Taking the thread on a slightly different direction, where do people think we would finish if you had to field 11 English players in the first 11? I genuinely think we would finish top 5....
Pickford
Keane
Jags
Holgate
Baines
Kenney
Davies
Dowell
Lookman
Walcott
Calvert-Lewin

When you start to go through the other teams, most would stuggle in a number of key positions. We are quite well covered all round except maybe in CM, but everyone is a full international or U21...

Actually, soddit. I think we would win the league!

Spurs would win the league easily, but yeah, we'd probably be 2nd or 3rd.

If this does happen then it might have a serious effect on Brands recruitment style. We may well need to put more focus on the homegrown lads.

Typically we've got a 2 year ban from signing from English academy's when all this is about to happen. So we will have to sign older English who will have a large premium due to the rule change.

Status
Not open for further replies.