Goats squad analysis thread 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goat

Avoid at all cost
I have some time and as always my thoughts start drifting..............

So let's do this.

Out of contract players will not be added, young players on the fringes will also not be added for now, as always it's a moving thread, people will be added and removed, sometimes due to suggestions from you, the people.

Manager : Carlo Ancelotti

Goalkeepers (2)

Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virginia (UA)

Right Backs (2)
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny (HG)

Left Backs (2)
Lucas Digne
Niels Nkounkou (UA)

Centre Backs (5)
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)

Midfield (7)
Allan
André Gomes
Abdoulaye Doucouré
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
Tom Davies (HG)
Fabian Delph (HG)

Wide Forwards (5)
Richarlison
James Rodríguez
Bernard
Alex Iwobi (HG)
Anthony Gordon (UA)

Strikers (3)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Moise Kean
Cenk Tosun

Total players: 26

Players purchased so far:

Players culled so far:

Non-HG players: 12
Homegrown players: 10
UnderAge players: 4

Max 17 Non-HG players in 25 man squad, UnderAge players aren't included in 25 man squads.

As always, this is just an analysis thread, to see which areas we need to improve, any suggestions are welcome and any mistakes will be fixed.

The thing that stands out for me is the number, it's very low, in the past I've put out of contract players in and youth, so the numbers won't be like for like.

But :

2021 26
2020 38
2019 41
2018 37

We need a GK, whether that's a number 1 or somebody to put real pressure on Pickford at least or another Olsen, we lack a GK
2 RBs are fine, considering Godfrey and Holgate can play there, but, well you all know, 1 In, 1 Out
2 LBs are fine, see above, you would hope Niels gets more time next season and with hopefully Small knocking on the door, for now, we ok
5 CBs is also ok, might be prudent to get Branflakes, yes, you read that right, out on loan again, but depends on whether we wish to play 3 at the back much, any Outs would need replacing
CM, ugh, just ugh, Allan and Doucs are of the required level, but, nar, I can't even cope, blowtorch and pliers this whole area
Widers, again, numbers-wise im fairly happy, but would love 2 Out 2 In if your asking
Strikers, Kean is there, but, well it doesn't need saying, lets all forget Tosun is a thing, 2 Out, 2 In

Agree on GK, LB and CB but would hope we replace Kenny with a RB good enough to be first choice as neither he or Coleman are. CM we need Delph gone and 1 or 2 in depending on Gbamin. Then in an ideal world upgrade Gomes and Sigurdsson. In the wide areas ideally replace Bernard and Iwobi one of which needs to be a left footer for balance. Upfront if we sell Kean we need a new Striker as for Tosun probably just have to accept he's with us until next summer. The only 2 additional young players I would consider are Gibson and Simms as they are passed u23s but will probably both be sold in the summer as they only have a year left.

Agree on GK, LB and CB but would hope we replace Kenny with a RB good enough to be first choice as neither he or Coleman are. CM we need Delph gone and 1 or 2 in depending on Gbamin. Then in an ideal world upgrade Gomes and Sigurdsson. In the wide areas ideally replace Bernard and Iwobi one of which needs to be a left footer for balance. Upfront if we sell Kean we need a new Striker as for Tosun probably just have to accept he's with us until next summer. The only 2 additional young players I would consider are Gibson and Simms as they are passed u23s but will probably both be sold in the summer as they only have a year left.
When I said 2 RBs are fine, I meant numbers-wise only, they are NOT fine.

Pretty much what you said.

GK is what it is - Pickford has to be pushed.

We don't necessarily need an out at RB since Coleman's in the last year of his deal and we may not be able to arrange it. Shifting Kenny does little for the wage bill, and the fee probably pays someone else's wages for a year.

LB is saturated with Small waiting in the wings and CB is fine.

As you say, in midfield only Allan and Doucoure are up to standard. Retain Davies for squad to tick homegrown box if we can keep his wages from going way up. It's one less English premium we have to pay, and it frees up some wages for a big-ticket signing. Assume Gbamin is our Stu Holden at this point. Nobody's fault - it happens.

We can probably get away with an addition that can play both out wide and striker as well as the extra striker and wide player.

Not sure how we afford all of that this summer. We may have to run Sigurdsson down. Some corners probably have to be cut. RB, CM, ST are the net spend priorities. We can do formation things if we have to up top, but we have to be able to get service to whoever is up there.

That's an amazingly trash group of midfielders. I mean 7 guys and you've got one who tackles and defends reasonably, one who can do everything but only does it every fifth game if we're lucky, one who gets into the box at the expense of literally all other aspects of midfield play, two who spend way more time injured than fit, one who tricks people into thinking he has value because he scores a few pens and hits a decent corner every third game and one who probably doesn't have the natural talent to be a top level player but at least attempts to anyway. Just really not great. And not cheap either somehow.

I have some time and as always my thoughts start drifting..............

So let's do this.

Out of contract players will not be added, young players on the fringes will also not be added for now, as always it's a moving thread, people will be added and removed, sometimes due to suggestions from you, the people.

Manager : Carlo Ancelotti

Goalkeepers (2)

Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virginia (UA)

Right Backs (2)
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny (HG)

Left Backs (2)
Lucas Digne
Niels Nkounkou (UA)

Centre Backs (5)
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)

Midfield (7)
Allan
André Gomes
Abdoulaye Doucouré
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
Tom Davies (HG)
Fabian Delph (HG)

Wide Forwards (5)
Richarlison
James Rodríguez
Bernard
Alex Iwobi (HG)
Anthony Gordon (UA)

Strikers (3)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Moise Kean
Cenk Tosun

Total players: 26

Players purchased so far:

Players culled so far:

Non-HG players: 12
Homegrown players: 10
UnderAge players: 4

Max 17 Non-HG players in 25 man squad, UnderAge players aren't included in 25 man squads.

As always, this is just an analysis thread, to see which areas we need to improve, any suggestions are welcome and any mistakes will be fixed.

The thing that stands out for me is the number, it's very low, in the past I've put out of contract players in and youth, so the numbers won't be like for like.

But :

2021 26
2020 38
2019 41
2018 37

We need a GK, whether that's a number 1 or somebody to put real pressure on Pickford at least or another Olsen, we lack a GK
2 RBs are fine, considering Godfrey and Holgate can play there, but, well you all know, 1 In, 1 Out
2 LBs are fine, see above, you would hope Niels gets more time next season and with hopefully Small knocking on the door, for now, we ok
5 CBs is also ok, might be prudent to get Branflakes, yes, you read that right, out on loan again, but depends on whether we wish to play 3 at the back much, any Outs would need replacing
CM, ugh, just ugh, Allan and Doucs are of the required level, but, nar, I can't even cope, blowtorch and pliers this whole area
Widers, again, numbers-wise im fairly happy, but would love 2 Out 2 In if your asking
Strikers, Kean is there, but, well it doesn't need saying, lets all forget Tosun is a thing, 2 Out, 2 In

Good assessment and one I agree with. However I’d like to see the names of those whose contracts are expiring in the culled section as a beautiful reminder that they’re leaving.

I think sadly this may come down to

A. Who we can get out the door
B. Who we can bring in.

For me the priorities are below, the names are just players we have been linked with:

GK - Sergio Romero
RB - Max Aarons
DM -?
CM - Rabiot
RW - Baily
CF - Leao

After that I think it will depend if we sell the likes of Kenny, Delph, Bernard, Kean and Tosun and what sort of cash we bring in

Last edited:

RB + CB + CM

Fin.

Sadly, we need someone else up top so we don't keep riding the guys we have until they break, and more if Carlo is to have some flexibility in formations and injury cover.

We're also going to need to get someone in to be able to step into Gbamin's roster spot if we can't verify that he's going to be a part of our plans, which is looking likely, in addition to a starting-caliber CM. That seems like a good opportunity for a loan or an older player, so that we're not locked down if Gbamin does come good.

I think that laundry list of needs (with RB vital) is going to make it hard to work in a CB upgrade until next summer, when all those dead wages come off. I would love for Brands to be 100% set at the position when walking into contract negotiations with Mina's agent. I just don't know if it's realistic.

In reality:

GKs - we have no one I'd call acceptable

RBs - little better than GKs

LBs - Digne defo, Nkounkou looks promising

CBs - Keane and Godfrey have the pace we need. Holgate inconsistent. Forget the rest

CM - retain Doucoure and possibly Davies. That's it. The rest are rubbish or injury prone

Wide - Richarlison (if he's still here, which I doubt). That's it. I dont even think of James as a wide player...and he hardly plays

Attack - DCL

By my estimation, we have 6 starters for this club that I'd be happy seeing start and who we can rely on to play most of the season.

Dont underestimate how hollow this squad is.

£500M spent to have this on our hands.

An utter disgrace. Geordie-type laughing stock disgrace.

In reality:

GKs - we have no one I'd call acceptable

RBs - little better than GKs

LBs - Digne defo, Nkounkou looks promising

CBs - Keane and Godfrey have the pace we need. Holgate inconsistent. Forget the rest

CM - retain Doucoure and possibly Davies. That's it. The rest are rubbish or injury prone

Wide - Richarlison (if he's still here, which I doubt). That's it. I dont even think of James as a wide player...and he hardly plays

Attack - DCL

By my estimation, we have 6 starters for this club that I'd be happy seeing start and who we can rely on to play most of the season.

Dont underestimate how hollow this squad is.

£500M spent to have this on our hands.

An utter disgrace. Geordie-type laughing stock disgrace.
Keane has the pace we need?
Seriously?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.