How did you come to be an Evertonian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't shoot me. Like many families the wider family ours was mixed though my owl fella was a blue my granddad and uncle but other uncles reds. I did have a Hitachi red kit once don't ask why. But even under Gordon Lee I became a blue and started going the match with my dad March 84. Born in Everton. Bitter blue and proud.

Who was your favourite player when you first "saw the light?"

There were obvious ones like Cahill and Arteta that got me off the couch.

But honestly, I kinda liked Osman - lol. We have a nickname over here for a hockey player. He's called the little ball of hate. Osman sort of fit that for me.

Growing up in Ireland I watched football, back in the 80s we had to be fiddling around with the aerial to have any hope of getting UK tv channels - mostly it was watching in the local pub where they had access to more channels.

I was 14 and don't remember exactly how it occurred but I found myself in my local pub one weekend and it was packed to the rafter, no idea what was going on - nada, zilch. I remember the smoke, the shouting and the noise. - absolutely electric. I wanted to know what was going on so went to the TV and a match was going on, I had no idea who was playing but I was hooked -- I couldn't get anywhere to sit down so sat on the pool table, nor get any food or drink as the place was far too busy. The pub is long closed, like many in rural Ireland and the owner long in another world.

So the match -- I was transfixed on the screen and I remember a goal was scored, and there was silence -- and then there was roars from sections of the crowd...my mind was made up, this is my team. I tend to be a rebel in life as it occurred and don't go with the masses

This is the goal

Same here just my late father a mad Evertonian from Vauxhall road near Scottie road in Liverpool his father & himself Everton mad - I was born a Blue, all three kids were Blues it was just a natural he lived for them ............
My Dad grew up in Romley St off County Road. Went to Arnott St School. My grandad (his dad) who I can't remember as he passed away when I was 2, took my Dad to home games and even some 'local' away games (RS, City, Utd, Burnley, Bolton etc). So that was it. RS were never an option.

Growing up in Ireland I watched football, back in the 80s we had to be fiddling around with the aerial to have any hope of getting UK tv channels - mostly it was watching in the local pub where they had access to more channels.

I was 14 and don't remember exactly how it occurred but I found myself in my local pub one weekend and it was packed to the rafter, no idea what was going on - nada, zilch. I remember the smoke, the shouting and the noise. - absolutely electric. I wanted to know what was going on so went to the TV and a match was going on, I had no idea who was playing but I was hooked -- I couldn't get anywhere to sit down so sat on the pool table, nor get any food or drink as the place was far too busy. The pub is long closed, like many in rural Ireland and the owner long in another world.

So the match -- I was transfixed on the screen and I remember a goal was scored, and there was silence -- and then there was roars from sections of the crowd...my mind was made up, this is my team. I tend to be a rebel in life as it occurred and don't go with the masses

This is the goal

Similar. I grew up in a rural Irish pub. The cheering would have been UTD fans as there were no blues around when I was . Well 2 in a town about 10miles away. For me it was the 1985/6 when the place was infested with RS. I didnt wanna follow the cult and I loved Big Nev so it grew there.

Born at home about 100 yards from the ground so being a lazy sod picked the nearest team ! But it wasn't Everton that attracted my interest in football but the good fortune of being surrounded by the World Cup of 66 when I was 5. It was a magical time, all the houses in our street decked out with all the competing nations flags, fans of all nationality walking past our house giving us kids coins of different currency. The place was alive with colour and excitement, standing outside the ground with all the smells, tobacco, hot dogs and horse manure ! Fantastic time.
This stirred my interest in football and Everton in particular. My Dad took me to my 1st game, Newcastle Utd, I was transfixed with the crowd, the lush green grass, everything. After the game he said you're on your own now as he didn't care much for watching football. So I went through the boys pen initiation,say no more ! Saved my pocket money so I could go un the proper part of the ground and even as a 9 year old, went to the championship clincher against West Brom on my own in the Park End !
Like others of a certain age, I've been through all the emotions and hurt over all those years but for all the 6 stars and this means more nonsense across the park I wouldn't swap being a Blue for anything.

My room-mate at a kibbutz just near Ashkelon on the Mediterranean was a mad Evertonian and he brought me on-board....

....I have cursed that bloke for years...

My dad was a massive blue. He named us all after Everton players, even my sister, and we knew all the Everton songs as nippers. He took me my first game when I was 9, Upper Park End Stand (I am old) and I loved it. The walk to the ground, people outside mixing, the smell of chips, the old girl herself and our beautiful team. I still love it now and long to get back there. COYB.

Status
Not open for further replies.