How did you come to be an Evertonian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up in north Wales for most of us it was always a choice of red or blue. A few weirdos would go for Utd and random London teams after they played in the FA Cup Final.

My uncle who was a blue had moved to work in Fords at Halewood in the late 60's and married a girl from Anfield. Her family were all reds, of which more later. He used to send me all the Everton home game programmes, so getting to Goodison soon became the mission. I woud have been 12 in 1971 when I first got the Crosville bus on my own from our village in north Wales to Skelhorne St where he met me, for a game against Tottenham. Culture shock or what !

After being dragged on a tour of boozers we end up queuing to get in and I hear my uncle and his local (what I now know to be the definition of scally) mate, talking about the tickets (the comp in my avtar) He had 2 of them and tore one in half, walked up to the turnstile, showed what now looked like 3 and in to the new main stand we went. Can't remember much about the game but I do remember that it kicked off big time in the Street end.

After the match and a few more boozers we head back to their place which was a flat above a laundrette surrounded by bombed out / demolished houses, my education continued when I was left for the night with his mate's teenage sons whilst the parents all went off and partied........the lads obviously knew the score and the flat soon filled with female friends. My education was deffo accelerated that night ! The trips on the Crosville bus and my continuing "education" became a regular thing from then on.

Some years later my uncle moved to work in a car plant in Ireland. Every summer he would bring over all his wife's kopite brothers' kids for a holiday and give them a fantastic time. When it came time for them to go home he would ask if they wanted to come again the next summer. Their answer was obvious. The one condition he would make was that they must support Everton and never go to a game at Anfield. That big family of reds soon had a brood of fanatical blue converts which was the source of much mirth for years to come :)

One dark morning whilst strung out on heroin and crack walking back to my fridge box house after servicing a man in an alleyway for some change, I stumbled upon a DVD in a skip. I ran to the nearest pub and begged them to put it on the telly for me. After watching it all the way through twice I vowed to totally change my life and my perception of everything as well as following the force of a club documented on it, and here I am today. That sacred disc of life changing proportions was of course “the magnificent 7th”.

Praise be.

My Grand dad was from there. He was a big fan, but I never really got on board because the only games over here I ever saw when I was a kid were Man U games. We used to watch a show over here called Soccer Saturday with Graham Leggat. I used to love it, but again, only Man U or Liverpool games were usually on. About ~12 years ago I noticed we really started getting a ton of games over here on streaming services or Sports world channels. So I payed up and I started following. Been a sucker ever since.

So I guess I've always been a blue, just didn't realize it till about 12 years ago.

No choice, via my Mum, Dad, and being born In Liverpool.

My paternal grandfather was a red, but all of his 4 sons were Toffee's.

Glad to say I have passed the tradition (and pain) on to my own son.

:cheers:

I got punched in the balls when I was younger and decided I liked the pain and misery so much I had to seek this kind of torture out once, or if I'm lucky twice a week. This led me to Everton and I haven't been disappointed yet...or should that be I rightly have been all the time??? Anyhow you get the drift. :oops:

Or it might be we were the best team in the world, with the best name, shirt colour, spirit and certainly goalkeeper. There was only one choice and not even my old man saying before the cup finals that Liverpool were going to win was going to change my mind.

Was taken to Goodison aged 6 on a visit to my nans. Luckily that was in 1984. My dad was a red but Everton were at home that day.
Never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.