Match Thread Everton vs Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleased that Patterson didn't look out of place and still with room to improve defensively. Wing back suits him at the moment if he has someone decent in the back three to cover. Very impressed with Iwobi's play today.

Midfield should be better with incoming signings. Forwards, well let's see. Gray, Gordon and Dele are not more than an emergency answer. McNeil gets a pass, played some nice link-up stuff but drifted out of the game which is understandable in new team.
Patterson the big plus out of today for me. Wasn’t found too wanting defensively and has a big ceiling in that rwb position.

There was a lot to like about that performance - solid and disciplined at the back , excellent performances by Iwobi (MOM for me ) , Tarkowski , Patterson and even Holgate - regardless of bringing in Gana Onana we won't win many games without additional creativity and a decent striker.

Without a brainfart by Doucoure ( who otherwise played well ) we don't lose that game , but on the other hand we really didn't look like scoring let alone winning.
I don't know we had two clear chances if it wasn't for silva being a superb defender we would of scored

Everton boss Frank Lampard has just provided an injury update on Ben Godfrey and Yerry Mina: "It [Godfrey injury] feels like it is a small fracture of his leg. We are assessing that. He will be out for a while, Mina is an ankle injury and could be out for a while.

Patterson the big plus out of today for me. Wasn’t found too wanting defensively and has a big ceiling in that rwb position.
Definitely. Dived in a few times but hopefully the defensive minds on the staff will drill that out of him. Otherwise I thought he was very impressive going forward for an inexperienced player.

Agreed. To be honest it was tighter for motm than poll suggests tarks/Patterson/iwobi I thought all deserved it. Gave to Patterson as I thought in the 1st half he played very well and did very little wrong.

I don't know we had two clear chances if it wasn't for silva being a superb defender we would of scored
Don't recall going to the toilet during the game but I must have because I can't remember any clear cut chances.

A blocked shot from Gray which went for a corner and a save by Mendy from Tarkowski and Doucoure ?

That's about it?

Nah I can't really take positives from that. Chelsea were poor and we couldn't punish them at home. All it did was highlight just how unreliable our options are up front.
But we know that, it’s not like was our chosen strike force. Realistically we were planning on having DCL available and a new striker on the bench by now, with Rondon’s unavailability hopefully irrelevant. I think the club messed up big time though letting both Simms and Dobbin leave on loan before getting that new forward in.

We set up with Gordon up top to play on the break. Gray makes that pass in the first hald and Gordon scores. Fine margins.
You can gaurantee that Gordon would have finished it? I'm not so sure. He tries hard but doesn't yet have the composure to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.