Ashley Cole joins coaching team

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you call screaming and looking like a lunatic with his veins popping out of his neck influence then I suppose you might be right, terrible at actual football though.

Not for me, the man died with his boots on. All opinions mind.

Be funny to see how Cole would have got on under Clough at Forest.

He probably had less ability than some players, but he got every last drop out of what he had and more. One of the most consistent players out there. Would never drop below 7 out of 10

Opinion are mad mate, thought he was gash myself. Thought a lot of good players around that time were called great far to easily. Cole, Neville, Beckham and a few others - good players, but far from great.

Mad thing is the greatest English player of the time was shunted for some others……Paul Scholes, now there was a truly great player.

Opinion are mad mate, thought he was gash myself. Thought a lot of good players around that time were called great far to easily. Cole, Neville, Beckham and a few others - good players, but far from great.

Mad thing is the greatest English player of the time was shunted for some others……Paul Scholes, now there was a truly great player.
Beckham was overrated?

Oh christ.

He was a hard man, a good defender, a great captain and a huge influence on his team from left back. It depends how you weigh really. Didn’t marry Cheryl Tweedy though.

Not saying Cole wasn’t a good player, he wasn’t world class for me, to be honest thought Leighton was closer, doing it in worse and cheaper teams.
He was the best left back in the world for a few years, if that’s not world class what is.

You spelt Denis Irwin wrong mate,

Stuart Pierce would be up there with England’s best, Cole could only dream of having that type of influence on a team.

Id have Leighton ahead of Cole too.

Easy to look good in great teams or assembled with millions. Even then I thought he was bit overratted in the English media, because he was English and cultivated those front page headline profiles.
Bad shout that really bad.

Didn't see it coming, not my favourite human being but if he can get us to defend set pieces or conversely clear the first man on corners and set pieces then he's got my support ?

Dennis Irwin was a great LB to be fair but when I go back and watch 80s and 90s football (early-mid 90s) the quality of football and overall athleticism is so far behind modern day football its crazy... the gulf in quality gets even more mental you start watching 60s and 70s football.

Anyway…

Ashley Cole the coach.

Interesting that Carsley brought him into his England set up.

Was reading this excerpt from 2019
Cole’s coaching career has begun in typically impressive fashion, with Chelsea’s Under-15 side crowned winners at a recent Premier League tournament following victories over Manchester United, Newcastle, Dynamo Kiev and Sunderland. In the final, they beat Everton 4-0 to demonstrate a strong winning mentality that has been nurtured in our Academy for many years.

Cole agrees that winning is an important component of development and explained his own coaching objectives when working with 14- and 15-year-olds, which include a focus on the strategic side of the game that he believes can set Chelsea’s youngsters apart from the rest.

‘I want to get the tactical learning across to them because at this age it’s very important that you start to make them understand that side of the game,’ he said.

‘We’ll let them play, develop and solve problems themselves but we want to improve their tactical understanding as well so that in a year or two, they’ll be ahead of young players at other academies because they have that in their brains already.

‘Winning is a big part of development. Of course, we’re working with young players who are still developing and learning the game, trying to get better at their technical and tactical aspects, but tournament football is time to win. This is a big club and the expectation is always high, just like with the first team and the older age groups.’

After working with the likes of Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti throughout his playing career, Cole wants to select the best characteristics from his previous bosses as he attempts to mould his own coaching persona. He won’t try to mimic or copy anybody, instead reflecting on what approach worked on him as a player and adjusting things as required.

‘Everyone has their own philosophy but you also have to take ideas that you like from different coaches,’ he went on. ‘The first thing I learned on my coaching badges was that every coach is a thief!

‘I want to take parts of Jose Mourinho in terms of how organised he was, Carlo Ancelotti for his man-management and how he would give players faith to go out and express themselves within his system and Arsene Wenger, who was definitely a great man-manager and put a lot of trust in young players to find things out for themselves and learn quickly from mistakes. It’s about being adaptable.’

So what does Cole the coach hope to achieve?

‘I want to be the best,’ he claimed with a smile. ‘I’ve been around a lot of great players and managers so it’s about understanding what it takes. I understood as a player what it took to be the best and now it’s about trying to transfer that into how I can be the best as a coach.’

Status
Not open for further replies.