Status
Not open for further replies.
Utd:

Europa League
League Cup
Charity Shield
2nd in the table

Spurs:

Cup final within 6 months of being in the job then sacked by a clueless Levy before said final.

Not good enough for a club sat in 16th, with no trophy in 27 years who last featured in a cup final in 2009 apparently. :coffee:
At both of those clubs he had:

Much better players than he’d inherit here

And

Much more money than he’d be able to spend here.

Also, are cup finals counted as winning something now? And what’s the statute of limitations on how long that glory stays with a manager?

Javi Gracia got to a cup final in 2019. Maybe we should give Stevie Bruce a bell for his Hull heroics in 2014??

Given the basis he inherited them from, then yes. They’d won one trophy since Fergie left. The squad Van Gaal left was completely unbalanced with utter tat like Schneiderlin in it. He did well to win trophies with them and come 2nd to City. Solskjaer may have lifted the mood about the place but what did he achieve?
We’re not talking about Solskjaer though mate.

He inherited a club that was easily top 4 material, regardless of how much relative tat it had. He had an open chequebook (a prerequisite for Mourinho these days).

Here, he’d inherit a squad that might objectively scrape top ten, but having underperformed massively. He’d almost certainly have to sell our best players to buy, and even then he wouldn’t have the pull of the club to fall back on when it comes to trying to tempt decent players in.

Also, he has LONG since lost what made him “special”. He used to create a siege mentality in his squads and protect them from criticism, taking an “us against the world” stand if ever they got grief. Now, the players are the first ones under the bus. He’d kill what little confidence remains in the tatters of our squad.

He seems to be stuck in a terrible pattern of; going into a club, getting a some results, then they have a run if bad results, he blames everyone else, finds a scapegoat to blame all his problems on, fights with the squad, fights with the press, gets more bad results and flounces away, blaming everyone else.
Reminds me of someone who was here not that long ago!

Given the basis he inherited them from, then yes. They’d won one trophy since Fergie left. The squad Van Gaal left was completely unbalanced with utter tat like Schneiderlin in it. He did well to win trophies with them and come 2nd to City. Solskjaer may have lifted the mood about the place but what did he achieve?

But the squad that Van Gaal left won the FA Cup??

I’m not saying he’d be perfect but if the requirement is keeping us up this season, then changing the culture of the squad then I think he’d be better suited than a lot of the other options.

I cant see any manager winning a trophy with this rabble of a squad however I certainly think he's the most capable of getting us towards a semi final / final whilst having us a solid top 10 side.

Can the same be said for the likes of Dunc/Rooney/Martinez/Favre???

We should really be looking for a long term solution, a young hungry manager or a current high level manager who is still relevant.

If we do go down a short term fix solution then Mourinho would be perfect, there is no doubt he could get that bounce that we are needing right now.

I put no opinion because I think we do need a short term bounce but there is also no reason why a younger more relevant manager could not do the same while keeping an eye on having them for a while and building some foundations....finally.

I cant see any manager winning a trophy with this rabble of a squad however I certainly think he's the most capable of getting us towards a semi final / final whilst having us a solid top 10 side.

Can the same be said for the likes of Dunc/Rooney/Martinez/Favre???
Based on what, though?

Disregard for a minute the trophies he won in bygone days with - Porto aside - megabucks squads. What about the way he sets teams up to play over the last 2-3 years makes you think his style would lend itself to our current group of players, and propel them to cup finals/top 10 finishes?

No, no, no!

After dealing with the toxicity of Benitez the last thing we need is Mourinho and his premier league tantrums. Moreover, he is not the sort of manager that can generate passion within our squad and bring positivism within the fan base. He would be another divisive appointment and just like Benitez, José is one that would put the blame on anyone or anything else but himself.

FC7C6107-1B7E-4751-9C0D-A5ED06D48B64.jpeg

Some wanting another ‘has been’ manager, why not go the whole hog and get Alec Ferguson out of retirement?
There’s a reason the top clubs have moved away from these dinosaurs.
Imagine supporting our last manager and then pressing repeat and expect anything different.
The players need motivating not bored to death with out of date bus parking

Status
Not open for further replies.