2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% Moise Kean. We cannot honestly be saying we'd rather have Gordon than Kean. Kean at least scored a few goals and was a regular for PSG last season and is for Juve this season.

Gordon will need to put a lot of work in to ensure he has a career in the top flight.

What do these two points mean to Everton fans? He was absolutely awful in a blue shirt A.K.A. the only relevant point.

Would you bring Kean or Gordon on from the bench if you needed an attacking option? Based on what we've seen of both so far.

Initially you said Gordon should have been pissed because Walcott, Bernard and Kean were all preferred ahead of him.

Now it's just Kean - he's perhaps the one you could debate.

We're talking about credentials for a place in the squad...

Gordon's 20. Kean 21. Kean has built his credentials. That's why he was playing for Juventus and we paid the money we did. That's why PSG took him, and Juventus again. That's why he's a senior international for the European champions in Italy etc. He has something to his game, we just couldn't get it from him for whatever reason - Kean's fault or Everton's?

Gordon has to start showing something when he's given the opportunity. Kean did that at Juve, and PSG to be fair. He was woeful for us but still slotted a couple in the league cup last season which is more than what Gordon has managed for us.

Crying to your manager about what you have to do to get in the squad is one thing but it comes down to what you do on the pitch.

Has Gordon shown anything on the pitch to say he deserves his place ahead of those 3 players you mentioned? Not for me.

What do these two points mean to Everton fans? He was absolutely awful in a blue shirt A.K.A. the only relevant point.

But what has Gordon done in an Everton shirt to justify banging the managers door to say he deserves a place in the squad over the others? I'll be gobsmacked if Gordon plays regularly in the PL in the future - unless he stays with us and gets a job for life a la Davies and Kenny.

But what has Gordon done in an Everton shirt to justify banging the managers door to say he deserves a place in the squad over the others? I'll be gobsmacked if Gordon plays regularly in the PL in the future - unless he stays with us and gets a job for life a la Davies and Kenny.
You missed Iwobi too as he looks like he's come from the under 17's

I'll just point out that the "he's crap" shouts were being thrown around about DCL too until he was about 23

He might never come good, but he's worth sticking with. There is a bit of actual natural talent there, but he needs to play. DCL was played in our 1st team for a couple of years despite not being the required level. We won't do that with Gordon, so he needs a good loan or two.

I think about this a lot. So many people got this so wrong and yet there's never any doubt when they're slating the next young player coming through.

Gordon might make it, or he might not , but I'm not sure what good it does in just writing him off instantly instead of actually giving the lad some support.

Gordon should be first off the bench right now imo

I’ll accept the argument that he maybe shouldn’t be starting every week, but there’s zero reason to bring on someone like Iwobi with Gordon on the bench

Give him Iwobi’s sub minutes and he’s only going to get better IMO
I wish our managers had this mentality. Potential is a better investment than blatant mediocrity, but he won’t get those minutes most likely.

I wish our managers had this mentality. Potential is a better investment than blatant mediocrity, but he won’t get those minutes most likely.

To me our entire set up makes no sense otherwise

He trained well enough to get a game and then played well in the game itself

The next step after that is for him to keep his side of the bargain by training well, at which point the manager trusts him with more minutes, especially as there isn’t another sub who is demonstrably better than Gordon

This is his opportunity to show what he can do. Should be getting at least 30 minutes per game against tiring opposition. Otherwise when DCL and Richarlison are back he will probably be out the squad. These are the moments when a young career can be kick started. If he does well off the bench against Norwich and United he might do enough to be ahead of Iwobi in the pecking order.

I think about this a lot. So many people got this so wrong and yet there's never any doubt when they're slating the next young player coming through.
Multiple managers insisted on playing DCL, even out of position, because they saw there was a player in there even before he started scoring. A lot in here moaned about it at times, me included, but it payed off and hes become very important for us. Managers dont seem that keen on playing Gordon in general, which isnt a great sign.

The point youre making is very valid, but I worry Gordon is more Pennington than DCL.

Gash just like a lot of the squad we looked like the championship side last night. Harvey Elliot, Harry Wilson all be it he’s 24 now but even 4 years ago he was better than Gordon and they was the first 2 to come into my head.

This is his opportunity. If he impresses despite what is around him then maybe he can be a player. When everyone is fit he might not even make the bench unless he has done something in these games. It's over to young Gordon to show if he has what is required. If he doesn't we don't want to be wasting any more time and he needs to be moved on while we might still get something for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.