Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Townsend - we never really replaced Walcott and whilst James played at RW at times its only really Iwobi who was the one real option there last season.

Funnily enough James needs cover and Iwobi has placed through the middle during pre season (or did at least against Accrington).

I wonder if Iwobi will become cover for James in the middle and Townsend is earmarked as cover for a top quality RW?

For me if money is tight go sign Pereira from WBA.
I think you're right. Iwobi as cover at 10, Gray cover at wings, Townsend cover at RW, RB.

I still think we'll bring in another RW, CB, CM, RB.

A bench with Iwobi, Townsend, Gray gives much better depth.

I think Townsend is a lot better than people realize (that's not to say he is great or anything).

He is useful and doesn't seem to cause any issues off the pitch etc. I am OK with him on a year long deal, he has worked with our manager too in the past so that's a plus point.

Gray will be fine. Deffo a player in there, always seemed to me that he had poor decision making though.

Living the dream this summer. Awful new manager and these below average signings. Brands should be sacked immediately
These 2 have not been gotten in to start, are they a batter option off the bench than what we currently have.. 100% so what's the problem?

who has mentioned computer games mate? Almost like Townsend hasn't been a player for 10 years for us to make our judgement.
That’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that people look at stats constantly, and there’s a fair portion of young fans who think stats tell the full attitude and they don’t in real life. That’s all.

That’s a general point for every player, not thirst particular ones. Mental attitude is not something that can be measured in numbers, and of that improves in someone then the player can improve. I know stats have a place but they’re not the be all and end all.

Basically, don’t get hung up on stats in general.

The problem for me is Walcott like contributions (or Lennon or whoever else in the mediocre range) do nothing for us long term. So as I said the biggest thing is you just take away the chance to give someone who might be better than that the spot in the squad and the time on the pitch. It's not how you get better.

I do agree with this, the way you get better is to buy significantly superior players, but it’s very much easier said than done. And on recent evidence, there is certainly no correlation between expense and quality. Spending lots has just made us worse, in fact.

Not the most inspiring of signings, but for the cost, they’re a much better option from the bench than Bernard, Iwobi, Tosun etc. And likely not on anywhere near the wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.