Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gray was a speedy outlet for a defensive Leicester side that sat deep and countered.
lollollol

The last time we played football like that, was our title winning season when he first joined.

This is why Leicester fans in particular laugh, whenever someone mentions Gray as speedy, skilful or even better a “talent”.

Yes he is speedy, yes he is skilful; however he doesn’t utilise those attributes well enough.

He’ll get you off your seat, only for you to sit back down after a few seconds, because more than likely he’s wasted a good move.

You’ll look at the price and you might think “This is a shrewd signing”.

But signing the likes of Gray, is what I’d expect from a newly promoted side or a side that’s just been relegated, not a club like yourselves hoping to get into Europe.

From James Rodriguez and Allan to Townsend and Gray. Talking about going backwards.

You're comparing first team signings with squad fillers.

Everton simply cannot afford anymore to go and spunk £15-20m+ on players to just have them sit on the bench.

lollollol

The last time we played football like that, was our title winning season when he first joined.

This is why Leicester fans in particular laugh, whenever someone mentions Gray as speedy, skilful or even better a “talent”.

Yes he is speedy, yes he is skilful; however he doesn’t utilise those attributes well enough.

He’ll get you off your seat, only for you to sit back down after a few seconds, because more than likely he’s wasted a good move.

But signing the likes of Gray, is what I’d expect from a newly promoted side or a side that’s just been relegated, not a club like yourselves hoping to get into Europe.
Did he play much for you beyond that, because that's the only time I can remember watching him.

There are people here who didn’t want Aguero that are now saying signing Andros Townsend is shrewd business.

Im not sure many are saying its shrewd, more like a general apathy over him and Begovic at best.

Gray though is a shocker

lollollol

We’re not hoping to get Europe, our aim is to stay mid table for at least the next 3 years and stay clear of relegation battles. It’s why we brought in a safety first, mid table, journeyman manager.

lollollol

Have we just resigned Theo Walcott then?

Im not sure many are saying its shrewd, more like a general apathy over him and Begovic at best.

Gray though is a shocker
Would take Gray over Townsend any day of the week. Remove his wonder goal against City would you even know he existed?

Pfft look at what we are debating here it’s just utter garbage in it.

lollollol

Europe?
More chance of us rejoining the EU mate lol lol

I’d never have 1.7m outlay on short term deals down as a disaster, no matter the outcome. But hey I must not be in the mood to fume this Summer as of yet.
Good for you, I'm not cheering signings this poor, the new manager was already on a hiding to nothing with the fan base and this is who he goes for, going to be a hard season. Like I said though, genuinely hope they prove me wrong as always when I am negative, it's not a state I enjoy being in.

It’s just because they haven’t been tainted in our eyes you think they may be better. They’re not. Vault me on it. Give it 10 games and everyone will be on them. They won’t help us progress, and they’re taking spots from other players in the mould we were apparently going for in this project - young, develop, sell on for profit. Instead we’re all over the place, diving in the discount bins
Well I don’t want to be developing players to sell on for profit and once they’re at first team quality move on and start again? I’d rather dive in the discount bins and get cheap players on short contracts that can add something now as a squad player bearing in mind if what I read is true we’re £80m over ffp regs which means unless players move on for decent fees we won’t be expecting any marquee signings this season.

lollollol

The thing is though, pace and mobility have been big problems for the team, so he kind ticks a lot of those boxes. There's no doubt he's wasteful in front of goal (and in and around it) and is very poor defensively, but he gives us a lot of what we need in possession. The signing fits the brief of what we are after, and it is a great price.

It's funny as it is normally the sort of signing a promoted team will make, but I will look on and think "he could have done a job for us you know". Watford make a lot of those. Lads like Will Hughes. Never going to be world beaters, but competent players.

Re the challenging for Europe, we are already at that point to be fair mate. We were within 10 points of 3rd and 8 points of 4th last season. We fell away a bit, and while I hate to use it as an excuse (and I appreciated every fanbase will say it) but over and above the league average we really struggled to convert at home. Even if we added nobody and lost nobody, and got the same level of points, I'd imagine we would finish top 7 and in European competition. If we could eek a few more points from the home advantage thing we are probably in the top 6. It wouldn't be done in the most pretty or aesthetically pleasing way, but it would be effective.

As with all players it's often about getting the right fit at the right time for a player. Over the last 5 years we have been really woeful at that while sides like Leicester have been really good at it. I bet if you looked at United fans at around the time you sod Maguire and signed Evans they would have said similar to what you're saying, but he came in and did a job for you, and has been a good signing from the outside).

I also think with Gray, and with Leicester more broadly it just wasn't a great fit for Rodgers. You are a clinical and technically gifted side now and he is wasteful. You have players with pace and power but also quality. We are not at that point at all. We are trying to inject power and pace into the team. But either way, your insight is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.