Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both terrible signings who will somehow offer even less then Bernard, Iwobi and co. People in here trying to convince themselves they’re shrewd moves…. We’re supposed to show ambition. Gray not good enough for Leicester or Leverkusen. Townsend released by palace chasing one final payday. No thank you

Both terrible signings who will somehow offer even less then Bernard, Iwobi and co. People in here trying to convince themselves they’re shrewd moves…. We’re supposed to show ambition. Gray not good enough for Leicester or Leverkusen. Townsend released by palace chasing one final payday. No thank you
I’d take Townsend over iwobi and gray over Bernard especially if they’re earning less money and short term deals. Just need someone to take iwobi, not the best signings I agree I’d of been happy with Townsend 2/3 seasons ago not bad as a squad player still tho.

I’d take Townsend over iwobi and gray over Bernard especially if they’re earning less money and short term deals. Just need someone to take iwobi, not the best signings I agree I’d of been happy with Townsend 2/3 seasons ago not bad as a squad player still tho.
It’s just because they haven’t been tainted in our eyes you think they may be better. They’re not. Vault me on it. Give it 10 games and everyone will be on them. They won’t help us progress, and they’re taking spots from other players in the mould we were apparently going for in this project - young, develop, sell on for profit. Instead we’re all over the place, diving in the discount bins

Your memory is way different than mine. For the most part it was bend over here it comes again with a skint League 1 (or was it League 2?) signing.
League one from Leeds. Had scored a winner at Old Trafford that season. We wished Bill had more money but we knew he didn't so we were more accepting.

I just don't understand what is shrewd about signing a bad player

People are capable of being wrong in their assessment of a player’s ability before they sign for a club. The vaults are full of it. In recent times, we’ve seen people getting giddy over expensive cack. Our squad is full of expensive cack right now.

In the past, we have had good value from players that were written off as crap before coming here, or even going somewhere else, and proving themselves to be good value. See Everton spending 25 million on Keane and Leicester spending 3 million on Jonny Evans as an example.

Other examples: Bent, Naismith, Beckford, Gibson, Lennon, Lucas Neil amongst others. Check the vaults and you will even see people turning their nose up about Gareth Barry and getting giddy about Mo Besic!

It's a low risk dice roll, if we're packing risk into a single dimension.

It might turn out that Townsend happens to play well with these particular pieces. Brands takes him in on trial for a year. If it doesn't work out, we all walk away better for the experience. If it does work out, we sign him to a bigger deal. He's made better off, and we're made better off.

Whether or not the club is shy of funds, we should roll these dice. It's low stakes, medium risk, high upside.
It's not a dice roll. Townsend has spent the better part of a decade being below average.

People are capable of being wrong in their assessment of a player’s ability before they sign for a club. The vaults are full of it. In recent times, we’ve seen people getting giddy over expensive cack. Our squad is full of expensive cack right now.

In the past, we have had good value from players that were written off as crap before coming here, or even going somewhere else, and proving themselves to be good value. See Everton spending 25 million on Keane and Leicester spending 3 million on Jonny Evans as an example.

Other examples: Bent, Naismith, Beckford, Gibson, Lennon, Lucas Neil amongst others. Check the vaults and you will even see people turning their nose up about Gareth Barry and getting giddy about Mo Besic!
The key here is value. Naismith was a free so any contribution is probably decent. That doesn't mean you should do it. So yes Townsend also a free will probably be "good value" to some people if he does literally anything positive but there will be an opportunity cost to doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.