Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
lollollol

The last time we played football like that, was our title winning season when he first joined.

This is why Leicester fans in particular laugh, whenever someone mentions Gray as speedy, skilful or even better a “talent”.

Yes he is speedy, yes he is skilful; however he doesn’t utilise those attributes well enough.

He’ll get you off your seat, only for you to sit back down after a few seconds, because more than likely he’s wasted a good move.

You’ll look at the price and you might think “This is a shrewd signing”.

But signing the likes of Gray, is what I’d expect from a newly promoted side or a side that’s just been relegated, not a club like yourselves hoping to get into Europe.

I keep saying the guy is a headless chicken whose head goes down when things dont come off (alot).

No idea why people are ok with this guy on a 2 year deal.

Townsend 1 year makes sense -- 2 years for Gray.

Madness...bloke cant cut it in Germany either.

Townsend has played in top flight football for pretty much a decade now. People have seen a lot of him so he's not an unknown player. He's another attacking player who doesn't put the ball in the back of the net. I'm starting to think signing forwards who can't score might not be the best strategy.

If you were trying to understand the thinking behind the Townsend signing it would be that he is good at crossing the ball and that we have Richarlison and Calvert Lewin as forwards. He's also very disciplined defensively and gets back into shape. The manager also knows him and seems to like him. He's not a great scorer of goals, but I doubt it's what he's being brought in for.

Good for you, I'm not cheering signings this poor, the new manager was already on a hiding to nothing with the fan base and this is who he goes for, going to be a hard season. Like I said though, genuinely hope they prove me wrong as always when I am negative, it's not a state I enjoy being in.
Everton might sign a couple of much more expensive players this week to cheer you up, there is no guarantee though that they will be better signings than Townsend or Gray!!

If you were trying to understand the thinking behind the Townsend signing it would be that he is good at crossing the ball and that we have Richarlison and Calvert Lewin as forwards. He's also very disciplined defensively and gets back into shape. The manager also knows him and seems to like him. He's not a great scorer of goals, but I doubt it's what he's being brought in for.
A Kilbane type signing. Not inspiring, does a job.

Did he play much for you beyond that, because that's the only time I can remember watching him.
After the first few season’s, in the end he just became a sporadic player who either made the bench or not even the match day squad.

Puel & Rodgers gave him numerous chances, every now and then he’d pop up in the starting 11, he’d fail to take his chance, then he’d find himself back on the bench or not even in the squad.

In the end he just slowly got pushed out of the match day squad, simply because he wasn’t good enough. We only got rid of him in January, when in all honesty we should have done that in 2019 instead.

When opposition fans mention Demarai Gray, I often see the word “talent” or ”potential” being spouted about. Throughout his Leicester career we sat in hope, that his talent or potential materialised but it never did. He might have the odd good game in the league, or in a cup game against someone like Accrington Stanley, then he’d just do bugger all for the next 10-15-20 games.

I keep saying the guy is a headless chicken whose head goes down when things dont come off (alot).

No idea why people are ok with this guy on a 2 year deal.

Townsend 1 year makes sense -- 2 years for Gray.

Madness...bloke cant cut it in Germany either.
Neither deal makes sense to me.

Like the Leicester fan says Gray is the type of signing you'd expect from a Norwich or Watford.

Townsend has been very ineffectual for many seasons. It is a staggering signing , much worse than say Ryan Fraser on a free.

My God we've become Newcastle Mk II

The thing is though, pace and mobility have been big problems for the team, so he kind ticks a lot of those boxes. There's no doubt he's wasteful in front of goal (and in and around it) and is very poor defensively, but he gives us a lot of what we need in possession. The signing fits the brief of what we are after, and it is a great price.

It's funny as it is normally the sort of signing a promoted team will make, but I will look on and think "he could have done a job for us you know". Watford make a lot of those. Lads like Will Hughes. Never going to be world beaters, but competent players.

Re the challenging for Europe, we are already at that point to be fair mate. We were within 10 points of 3rd and 8 points of 4th last season. We fell away a bit, and while I hate to use it as an excuse (and I appreciated every fanbase will say it) but over and above the league average we really struggled to convert at home. Even if we added nobody and lost nobody, and got the same level of points, I'd imagine we would finish top 7 and in European competition. If we could eek a few more points from the home advantage thing we are probably in the top 6. It wouldn't be done in the most pretty or aesthetically pleasing way, but it would be effective.

As with all players it's often about getting the right fit at the right time for a player. Over the last 5 years we have been really woeful at that while sides like Leicester have been really good at it. I bet if you looked at United fans at around the time you sod Maguire and signed Evans they would have said similar to what you're saying, but he came in and did a job for you, and has been a good signing from the outside).

I also think with Gray, and with Leicester more broadly it just wasn't a great fit for Rodgers. You are a clinical and technically gifted side now and he is wasteful. You have players with pace and power but also quality. We are not at that point at all. We are trying to inject power and pace into the team. But either way, your insight is appreciated.

Gray is an utter donkey Catcher, 25 and perhaps has the talent but not the mentality.

Townsend actually makes some sense.

Neither deal makes sense to me.

Like the Leicester fan says Gray is the type of signing you'd expect from a Norwich or Watford.

Townsend has been very ineffectual for many seasons. It is a staggering signing , much worse than say Ryan Fraser on a free.

My God we've become Newcastle Mk II

Id have Townsend for a season...get him on as 4th choice wide player.

Richarlison + 2 more needed and then Townsend.

Good pro who is basically average and can follow Benitez' instructions.

The thing that winds me up is Demarai Gray means it will probably not be 2 more wide players, only one :(

If he wants them then he believes they are the best of the options he has been presented with.

I refuse to believe they would be any managers first choice.
Townsend is a player who has played for him previously,who he has spoken about having a good relationship with and who he has tried to sign at other clubs.

He has been linked with Gray in the past, but has been priced out of a purchase.

That’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that people look at stats constantly, and there’s a fair portion of young fans who think stats tell the full attitude and they don’t in real life. That’s all.

That’s a general point for every player, not thirst particular ones. Mental attitude is not something that can be measured in numbers, and of that improves in someone then the player can improve. I know stats have a place but they’re not the be all and end all.

Basically, don’t get hung up on stats in general.

This is very true. If Gray wants to come "home" and knows we are a club who's manager and scouting team have tracked for years, it makes a big difference. You also grow up a lot from 20-25 say. The young lad at Leicester who was going to be the next big thing and who really flopped, and maybe cut corners may have a desire to do better now. This is very much "last chance" saloon here if he wants a career in the top flight and maybe that penny has dropped?

As for Townsend, the manager knows him. I know I said it a lot about Ancelotti, but it's the same with Benitez, he's been around a lot and will know the players who will have the right attitude, but also the right attitude for what he is going to ask them to do. From a recruitment perspective, why wouldn't you tap into that?

Their underlying stats aren't even that bad. While Gray is wasteful in front of goal and a liability defensively, he is a fantastic ball carrier who gets teams up the pitch. He would be by far and away our best player in the squad at doing that.

Townsend on the other hand is ok at finishing/assisting (but in truth doesn't get into many scoring positions) and is a very good crosser of the ball. He is also excellent defensively. So at the very least both give different options for the manager. I'd say both are better than Iwobi who played in that position last season. Maybe Iwobi will get a go in the number 10 role?

After the first few season’s, in the end he just became a sporadic player who either made the bench or not even the match day squad.

Puel & Rodgers gave him numerous chances, every now and then he’d pop up in the starting 11, he’d fail to take his chance, then he’d find himself back on the bench or not even in the squad.

In the end he just slowly got pushed out of the match day squad, simply because he wasn’t good enough. We only got rid of him in January, when in all honesty we should have done that in 2019 instead.

When opposition fans mention Demarai Gray, I often see the word “talent” or ”potential” being spouted about. Throughout his Leicester career we sat in hope, that his talent or potential materialised but it never did. He might have the odd good game in the league, or in a cup game against someone like Accrington Stanley, then he’d just do bugger all for the next 10-15-20 games.
He'll be a great fit here.

These 2 have not been gotten in to start, are they a batter option off the bench than what we currently have.. 100% so what's the problem?

1) you are making a massive assumption that they are not starters
2) better than iwobi and Bernard, I mean all 4 are dreadful. Debatable at best over who is the worst pairing

lollollol

The last time we played football like that, was our title winning season when he first joined.

This is why Leicester fans in particular laugh, whenever someone mentions Gray as speedy, skilful or even better a “talent”.

Yes he is speedy, yes he is skilful; however he doesn’t utilise those attributes well enough.

He’ll get you off your seat, only for you to sit back down after a few seconds, because more than likely he’s wasted a good move.

You’ll look at the price and you might think “This is a shrewd signing”.

But signing the likes of Gray, is what I’d expect from a newly promoted side or a side that’s just been relegated, not a club like yourselves hoping to get into Europe.

So he suited that system which is the style Benitez plays.

There are fans on here who call Lookman a waster, headless chicken, cry baby etc yet I would still have him off the bench everyday of the week over Benard and an out of position Josh King.

Sounds to me like sour apples the amount of Leicester fans feeling the need to come on here and tell us how poor he is...

Status
Not open for further replies.