Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t improve by signing crap for the bench to replace crap on the bench.

You improve by signing players that go into the team and the previous team player drops to the bench.
Or you sign young and hungry players who will find a way into the team and increase in value.

After the last 15 months, these wired things don’t bother me so much anymore but I thought Townsend had retired and took a job on talk sport ? Ah well.

We don’t have squad holes. We have Iwobi and Bernard. Are these 2 big upgrades? I’d say not.

Our entire right side is practically the sarlac pit .

Townsend will be an upgrade on Bernard as he'll be on 1/3 the wages and more suited to the league.

Also, Iwobi isn't really a winger.

Gray seems like a punt to me but he's still cheap, and at least still got some ceiling.

what's clear from his admittedly biased youtube vids is Gray has two big pluses. Pace and two footed. Obv motivation is the issue, but I also think it's a good sign the leicester fans are coming in here to have a pop at him Suggests they see something they just weren't able to extract.
It's a good sign that people who saw him play every week think he's mince. Ok.

Because whatever way you look at it, we need depth in those areas badly. We can’t drop 20mil+ on every player. The wages alone make these much less risky signings than Delph, Bernard etc ever were. The prices we’re getting them for offer better depth than we have now for relative buttons in the short and long term. So long as we show a bit more imagination in the other major areas, maybe even in the same position as these 2 if they truly are rotation options, they’re ‘quick wins’ than won’t turn into massive 100k+ a week burdens

We have depth. What we lack is quality.

Yes they are both Rafael signings, nothing to do with Brands. Rafael specifically asked for Demorai and sees huge potential in him.

I think we have looked at Gray before so would imagine he was on a list. I can see the Benitez influence, but imagine Brands will have negotiated (what look to be) very favourable terms. My general view is that Brands and Benitez have to take accountability for the signings, good and bad.

OK, so having had a little think about this, Ive realised that:
1: They would both count as 'Home grown' in the matchday squad meaning we can sign some more non 'homegrown' players
2: If it takes a long time in the window to shift the likes of Iwobi and Bernard and we need to to free up the Bernard wages to sign a 'Leon Bailey' type, then if we get no takers, then we can maybe loan them out if necessary late in the window now we have some 'insurance'
3: Aside from Bernard and Iwobi, we don't actually have any out and out wingers in the squad, yet we have one of the best headers of the ball in the league.
4: They both still have something to prove which hopefully = desire to succeed.
5: They are proven Premier League players who will try and force their way into the team, but if they don't, they will push the likely first teamers all the way and probably understand if they only make the bench at times.
6: At times last season, we couldn't even put out a full bench, so this will help avoid this situation again.
7: 1.5 million is, no risk at all.
8: Hopefully Gray convinces Bailey to come and Townsend convinces Zaha!!

Am absolutely ok with it and I really think we sign some bigger names as the summer progresses.

This could be the start of a good window if you would just BELIEVE. Shrewd acquisitions mixed with a bit of razzle dazzle and we’ll end up with a much improved squad. The ol’ two players for every position will be covered and we’ll leap up the league like a horny salmon.

GK: Pickers/Beggo

RB: Denzo/Seamo
LB: Digne/Neil
CB: KKeano
CB: Godders/Mase

CM: Doucs/SEXY NEW CM
CM: Allan/Davies
CM: JPG/Gomes

RW: SEXINAME/Iwobi
LW: Richarlison/Gray

CF: DCL/Kean/NEW FLASHY CF DELIGHT

It’s on boys. It’s f’in ON.
I assume the SEXINAME at RW is Townsend. You've convinced me, we're going to win the treble.

Townsend and Gray can’t be on more than £100k combined.

Bernard is on £125k a week, it makes sense, if we’ve got some financial constraints and it actually helps us bring in improvements.

Wouldn’t entirely be shocked if they tried to offload Sigurdsson or offer an extension with reduced terms (I seriously hope not).

I get why we’re going for these two, they’re not what I’d choose, but sounds like Gordon will be off on loan again.

Not Benitez's style to stay quiet if he's been promised a healthy budget, in fact it's exactly the opposite.

His rhetoric since arriving is about ambition, spending and Evertons stature vs his previous "small club" comments.
He could be being told that there'll be sales and cash later in the window. Nevertheless, atm we have a cheap as chips approach, and maybe he's ok with that...for now.

Why do we always buy players that have consistently failed at other premier league clubs?
Why not take a little chance on a young foreign players, think outside the box a bit more, like Leicester have done over the last 6/7 years.
I just dont get why we pay massive money on a recruitment guy (Brands) and then buy players like this. Ridiculous!!

Status
Not open for further replies.