2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we'd got rid of all the tosh, and people were like ah well, it's for the best with James, then fine, I could just about stomach that.

If he's the first one out of the door it just sums up how badly run the club is.

And yes, I don't trust Brands to get it right because he's shown zero evidence he can pick a creative player.

Everton, that.

TBF, I'm sure Rafael would happily keep James.

My feeling is the club would want his wages off the books rather than keep him if Mendes - as it seems - has been doing what Mendes does and finding a move, which James will genuinely just give a nod to or decline either way (but he'd clearly be happy to move).

There'll be no resistance from us. And while I can see why, it's just pathetic, because we have Delph, Iwobi, Bernard and Gomes who all contribute nothing. We have Sigurdsson who, while I've stood by him, isn't anywhere near the quality of James.

Instead of adding to the genuinely fantastic talent we have - but one who we just simply were far too reliant on, and that is on the manager and poor recruitment - we're just starting from scratch, again.

I'm sick of it. It's every other year. And I will be fascinated to see what happens if a bid comes in for DCL and he starts to get itchy, btw.

Club and Ancelotti ultimately allowed it. He should have been on the bench even with no intention to play, so he could be there for the lap of appreciation at least.

Bit like how the club and Ancelotti should have made sure we weren't so reliant on a 29-year-old who hasn't been able to stay fit for a full season for about 6 years.

he'll be a miss, but we will be able to play another way. I'm just fed up of what stuff like this says about the club. We complain about mediocrity but then happily wave off actually talented players while dossers see out massive contracts and offer nothing.

I know you aren't doing this, but there's some serious revisionism in this thread. When he played he was often our standout player, despite all the lazy stereotyping that went on. We got 26 games out of him, which if we go back to when we signed him was probably what was expected.

Yeah better keeping Iwobi , delph and Gomes . No place for the likes of James here

We're a team that needs better players and he is a fantastic player.

I'd rather have a luxury player who is genuine quality, than the luxury players we have who are crap - and we have about 8 of them.

James is a top class player.

However:

1: If your listing down an eleven could you put him in it? Hes not someone you can build a team around due to his fitness issues -- the same as you cant build a defence around his fellow Colombian, Mina who is our best centre back.

2: If hes on (total guess) £150k a week and were getting a €10mil/£8.6mil fee then thats £16.4mil into the pot...a tidy sum for FFP. Also the fee covers his wages last season making him effectively free last season.

3: Were all highlighting players like Gomes, Iwobi, Delph, Kenny, Bernard, Sigurdsson etc as those we want to leave first. But the transfer market doesnt work like this. Other teams arent going to prioritise for us which offers for unwanted players come in before those that we like.

If James does move on first, that doesnt mean the others wont be following.

4: Hes 30 in 2 weeks and his injuries and physical condition wont improve. I have said before that i could have seen him moving into a deep lying playmaker role under Ancelotti as he aged but who knows?

5: Im a big fan of James and also Mina. For me when fit they are exceptional players. However, we need players in the 11 who can play almost every week for us and make us a consistent top 6 side. Once were there then we can afford to add one or two players who play 60% of the season to nudge us into or closer to the top 4.

For me, this is a huge summer. Ancelotti and James (soon to be) out and Benitez in.

The board is aware that those two outgoings are going to cause disharmony in the fanbase and so lets see the ins/outs this window.

There may be some positive surprises.

Fantastic player, great football brain, wonderful range of passing and one of the best first touches in the game. His downsides are his lack of ability to stay injury free and his lack of desire to play through an English winter getting lumps kicked out of him by grock premier league defenders.

It was always unlikely that James would stay once Ancelotti left. I think dour defensive Benitez, with his history of managing James at Real Madrid, has put paid to any outside chance of him staying.

It’s a shame, James is one of the games entertainers, a pleasure to watch, but, I don’t think that our new manager will put up with luxury players.

Goodbye James, it was great to see you in royal blue, even for a short time.

Whole situation is a shame, but with Benitez hired, it's best James go now.

Everton can get some money and have time to plan and James can get playing time somewhere.

If they'd hired Nuno or pretty much anyone else I think he'd of stayed as he said on his IG a few weeks back. That was his plan...

The moment Rafael emerged, Mendes was activated for best interest of everyone involved.

Him saying that on Instagram the other week meant nothing. The moment Ancelotti left for Real Madrid, Jorge Mendes was working behind the scenes to get him a move.

I didnt want Rafael, but essentially blaming the man for James' wanting to get off is not only ridiculous, but also unfair.

Him saying that on Instagram the other week meant nothing. The moment Ancelotti left for Real Madrid, Jorge Mendes was working behind the scenes to get him a move.

I didnt want Rafael, but essentially blaming the man for James' wanting to get off is not only ridiculous, but also unfair.
Yes I’d agree. Obviously he didn’t have a good relationship with Benitez but it was clear as soon as Ancelotti left he’d be off. His comments on Instagram about it being “fine” to stay at Everton another season didn’t exactly sound like someone bursting with enthusiasm to come back.

He didn’t bother attending the Wolves game even though he could have to get to see Goodison at some capacity and meet some of the fans, I doubt he cares. He was only here for Ancellotti we all knew this he was never going to take to the club.
I suspect it was very much a move engineered to get him out of Madrid and in the shop window for CL teams. I loved having him at Everton but hey ho. He will leave with my best wishes.

James is a top class player.

However:

1: If your listing down an eleven could you put him in it? Hes not someone you can build a team around due to his fitness issues -- the same as you cant build a defence around his fellow Colombian, Mina who is our best centre back.

2: If hes on (total guess) £150k a week and were getting a €10mil/£8.6mil fee then thats £16.4mil into the pot...a tidy sum for FFP. Also the fee covers his wages last season making him effectively free last season.

3: Were all highlighting players like Gomes, Iwobi, Delph, Kenny, Bernard, Sigurdsson etc as those we want to leave first. But the transfer market doesnt work like this. Other teams arent going to prioritise for us which offers for unwanted players come in before those that we like.

If James does move on first, that doesnt mean the others wont be following.

4: Hes 30 in 2 weeks and his injuries and physical condition wont improve. I have said before that i could have seen him moving into a deep lying playmaker role under Ancelotti as he aged but who knows?

5: Im a big fan of James and also Mina. For me when fit they are exceptional players. However, we need players in the 11 who can play almost every week for us and make us a consistent top 6 side. Once were there then we can afford to add one or two players who play 60% of the season to nudge us into or closer to the top 4.

For me, this is a huge summer. Ancelotti and James (soon to be) out and Benitez in.

The board is aware that those two outgoings are going to cause disharmony in the fanbase and so lets see the ins/outs this window.

There may be some positive surprises.

I just think the positives of having him around for another season outweigh the negatives, or the positives of getting a bit of money in.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, it's just incredibly frustrating, because he really is a difference maker, especially if we do what seems to be the intention and finally get some pace into the squad this summer.

I wasn’t fussed on us signing him, then he instantly proved me wrong, then he got injured/went missing a fair bit and now he’s off.

On the whole I’m fine with him going. With that said it was definitely nice to see a proper playmaker in a blue shirt. I genuinely can’t think of another in my lifetime and certainly not one as good on his day. Let’s hope we can unearth another one day soon.

Ironic you decide to ignore the cup games as well and being in a match day squad doesn't mean he's fully fit either but you do you :Blink:

I'd rather we have decent players who are fit, players like Barry

He played well over half of our league games. He isn't exactly Delph level.

James has more quality than any player we've had since the 80s.

Doesn't mean you build everything around him, but actively wanting him out is dead weird.

Lukaku and James' everton careers arent really comparable. Lukaku was the best we've had this decade. James was good over a half season but then not available enough.
They're comparable in the sense that they were/are both a level above the players we had/have at the time.
He's not perfect, but we knew what we were getting ourselves into. I don't see this critique about his fitness because we knew. We knew full well we would not get 30 games out of him. It was about making the most of when he was fit and we didn't do that. Some of that was on him, but a lot of it wasn't.

I want our best players to stay, because we keep letting them leave and don't ever replace them well enough. If we had Leicester's record of doing it, or Dortmund's or whatever, fair enough. But we don't. We pulled the rug out under Silva by selling Gueye and not having a replacement ready, and the one we signed got injured. We've left it 2-3 years too late to get a new right-back. We left it til the last minute to get a left-back and l luckily Digne hit the ground running. We let Rom and Barkley go and had no idea what to do. I've seen no evidence that Brands can pick a good creative player - his idea of it was Iwobi.

We have a player in James who has quality most players who play for mid-table clubs - which is what we categorically are - can only dream of. Not saying he's perfect, but if you have a player like that in the squad, you keep him for the year and add to it, imo. So that you can build a few ways of playing and have that genuine quality in the side.

It's all well and good him going but if we manage to get in that right-back, that athletic, quick winger and another midfielder, then we'll be lamenting the lack of some supreme passer to pick them out.

They're comparable in the sense that they were/are both a level above the players we had/have at the time.
He's not perfect, but we knew what we were getting ourselves into. I don't see this critique about his fitness because we knew. We knew full well we would not get 30 games out of him. It was about making the most of when he was fit and we didn't do that. Some of that was on him, but a lot of it wasn't.

I want our best players to stay, because we keep letting them leave and don't ever replace them well enough. If we had Leicester's record of doing it, or Dortmund's or whatever, fair enough. But we don't. We pulled the rug out under Silva by selling Gueye and not having a replacement ready, and the one we signed got injured. We've left it 2-3 years too late to get a new right-back. We left it til the last minute to get a left-back and l luckily Digne hit the ground running. We let Rom and Barkley go and had no idea what to do. I've seen no evidence that Brands can pick a good creative player - his idea of it was Iwobi.

We have a player in James who has quality most players who play for mid-table clubs - which is what we categorically are - can only dream of. Not saying he's perfect, but if you have a player like that in the squad, you keep him for the year and add to it, imo. So that you can build a few ways of playing and have that genuine quality in the side.

It's all well and good him going but if we manage to get in that right-back, that athletic, quick winger and another midfielder, then we'll be lamenting the lack of some supreme passer to pick them out.

I'm not saying it's good if he goes because it's not. But I don't see how we can blame the club for this.

He came pretty much only because of Ancelotti so it will be no shock if he now wants out. If he doesn't want to be here then is there any point forcing him to stay? I really don't see the benefit of keeping an unhappy player with injury problems.

I'm not saying it's good if he goes because it's not. But I don't see how we can blame the club for this.

He came pretty much only because of Ancelotti so it will be no shock if he now wants out. If he doesn't want to be here then is there any point forcing him to stay? I really don't see the benefit of keeping an unhappy player with injury problems.

I'm holding the club to account for everything now mate. They aren't up to scracth. I don't trust them. It's time they start putting up and delivering on their promises on the pitch.

Maybe that's harsh, but I'm sick of giving them slack and we get nothing back.

Status
Not open for further replies.