New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those boasting they'll burn season tickets and walk away from Everton, and those who support the banner hangers: did you ever think that might be counter productive with Moshiri / Usmanov?

If you try and push around people of that nature they'll dig in even more. They would look very weak to walk away from this now as they've clearly invested personal capital in Benitez's appointment and it'd look like they've lost control of their asset at a time when investment is crucial with the stadium on the horizon.
Does it matter though? For a matchgoing fan (and the distinction is an extremely important one here before anyone gets the hump) the time and money invested in the club is absolutely astronomical. If you reach a point where that no longer feels like something you want to do then you have every right to walk away. Benitez coming on board might well be the final straw for me; i'm not posturing or throwing my toys out of the pram, but i've taken a lot of kicks in the teeth from the club over the 25 years or so that i've had a season ticket and this one might just be the one that makes me throw in the towel. If that means a couple of billionaires take their bat home then forgive me if I don't shed any tears over it.

Last edited:
For those boasting they'll burn season tickets and walk away from Everton, and those who support the banner hangers: did you ever think that might be counter productive with Moshiri / Usmanov?

If you try and push around people of that nature they'll dig in even more. They would look very weak to walk away from this now as they've clearly invested personal capital in Benitez's appointment and it'd look like they've lost control of their asset at a time when investment is crucial with the stadium on the horizon.

basically cos they're rich we should lie back and take it then?

I think the attachments he feels to LFC are actually quite overblown and you will likely see how fickle those same fans are in the coming weeks if he is appointed-expect the banner to come down.

This is a guy at LFC who gutted the back office of the club, the likes of Steve Heighway who were rooted in what the club was about. People tend to forget, when he went, the fans turned on him and it actually got really nasty and personnel. He seems the sort to remember that sort of stuff. He's had 3 or 4 opportunities where LFC could have had him back, but they have elected not to.

And then you get the business side of it. I don't think he's a particularly emotional guy, he seems quite pragmatic. It's a good project for him, we are led to believe he's met Usmanov, and I'm sure Benitez has laid out what he requires from him, and where he thinks he can get the club too. Both sides obviously feel they have the assurances they require.

I'm not sure he will be worried what fans think if he has Usmanov's backing.

100%

Again, this isn't me championing for him as it does sound like I am. But he's the one with the longest career, most trophies, and most experience at the biggest clubs who's electively prepared to go into a cauldron cos it's apparently "convenient".

He knows what the score is and will be.

I've said for years, it doesn't really matter about the manager it's about the backroom staff. You could have the best fella in the biz, but if the coaches are gash you're not really going to improve. Under Moyes we always did well with Irvine as #2 and took a tumble down the table each time he left. Ferguson had Mike Phelan etc. So whatever manager comes in I'd be expecting our board to be investigating the backroom staff they intend to employ as well. Some members of my family are RS and they always say with Benitez he wasn't the same once his bald assistant got off, Paco I think he was called.

I never had you down as a man who'd oppose banner hanging mate, a man of many surprises haha!
I've never been a fan of them.

The divvies who hounded out a decent man and very good coach like Martinez should have been condemned and weren't.

I dont like Benitez and I dont want him here. But to believe puny pressure from social media does anything is folly.

Thousands marched against Kenwright - boots on the ground past Goodison. It only bore fruit a couple for years later when he was persuaded to sell up. The unrelenting pressure Kenwright faced dwarfs what Benitez is getting or is likely to get if he is chosen.

Does it matter though? For a matchgoing fan (and the distinction is an extremely important one here before anyone gets the hump) the time and money invested in the club is absolutely astronomical. If you reach a point where that no longer feels like something you want to do then you have every right to walk away. Benitez coming on board might well be the final straw for me, i'm not posturing or throwing my toys out of the pram, but i've taken a lot of kicks in the teeth from the club over the 25 years or so that i've had a season ticket and this one might just be the one that makes me throw in the towel. If that means a couple of billionaires take their bat home then forgive me if I don't shed any tears over it.
People will wear it if it happens. Ask Spurs supporters what happened when Graham was appointed their manager.

100%

Again, this isn't me championing for him as it does sound like I am. But he's the one with the longest career, most trophies, and most experience at the biggest clubs who's electively prepared to go into a cauldron cos it's apparently "convenient".

He knows what the score is and will be.

I'm not championing it either mate, and am very much in the "no" camp. However I try to be balanced with it.

What do we think one of Russia's wealthiest met, and 1 3rd of USM (3 men, 2 of which have at least Abramovich levels of wealth if not substantially more) are likely to be asking him? "It will be a really convenient commute for you Rafael"?

And knowing what we know of Benitez, and how at pretty much every club he has been at he has fallen out about lack of funds, what do we think he is going toi be asking Usmanov? "Can you ask the Everton fan's not to put any banners up"?

All I can say is join the dots. You might not like the pattern, or agree with how it's constructed, but it's not hard to join the dots.

Status
Not open for further replies.