New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlo is still highly respected as one of the top managers in the world. Which is why he is at Real Madrid now.

Benitez came from the bottom of the Chinese league. And hasn't been hired by the likes of Madrid.
To be fair Benitez has managed Inter and Madrid. Badly, but still.

Well he's got his excuse already lined up then hasnt he. I haven't got the players to play high intensity football and the board never gave me £150m to spend on those players so I have to play defensive.
To be fair, if the board DOESN'T give any manager 150m, we won't be doing any competing whatsoever.

As for playing defensively, I will tolerate that if it brings results. It's all about results. If he or whichever manager we get plays defensively and does not get results, he will get the bullet. If a manager plays offensively and does not get results, he will also get the bullet. It's simply about results.

I think Benitez is a bit like Moyes in a funny way - it worked when it worked because of the right fit with owners, players, the right personnel, the right timing, and everything just clicked. (at Valencia & Liverpool - at the other clubs it was just a 'stewarding' job when he did well - Chelsea & RM) He's not the type who can work well anywhere. Which is why Moyes has not worked at a variety of clubs - big to small since leaving Everton, until now.
But then everyone is like that arent they, so the manager search has to be far more sophisticated than our board seems capable of. It's not just 'find the best available manager' - we have to find the right fit, a long - term view and see if we can guess about a match between players, fans, Finch Farm and the DoF / Board.

Pragmatically, he will do better than people expect, but because he who he is, unless he has us winning a trophy or finishing in the top 4 (maybe top 6 at a pinch) in the first season it won't work.

Therefore, it's such a big gamble by the owners to hire someone that more than likely will have them in the same position this time next year, finding another new manager.

Hysteria aside of who he is and where he has been, that's why this just baffles me.

What amazes me is the determination Benitez seems to have in getting the Everton job.
I know it is close to home but surely that can't be that big an issue who has spent his entire career working all over the world.

He will know better than anyone just how disliked he is by Evertonians and that the job of winning them over to his side is practically impossible. This will make a difficult job even harder and yet he seems prepared to persist.

He must be one thick skinned and determined like practically no one else.

It can't possibly be for the money. I find it amazing

…he’s got a huge ego, I know that but I think the logistics of this job being close to home is a big factor at this stage in his life.

I’d be interested to know how many of his supporters on here are new posters. I‘m probably being a bit paranoid that his PR machine is trying to influence outcomes.

Pragmatically, he will do better than people expect, but because he who he is, unless he has us winning a trophy or finishing in the top 4 (maybe top 6 at a pinch) in the first season it won't work.

Therefore, it's such a big gamble by the owners to hire someone that more than likely will have them in the same position this time next year, finding another new manager.

Hysteria aside of who he is and where he has been, that's why this just baffles me.
I agree. It’s a massive gamble because if we finish 10th again, for instance, the pitchforks will be out. Whereas the vast majority was prepared to back Carlo despite a disappointing finish last season.

If he does exceptionally well then that’s great but there will always be a significant proportion of fans who won’t accept him.

Rafael has stated that he wants a club which he can manage for a decade if he's allowed that amount of time. He aims to manage well in to his 70s. How exactly would he be short term?

I suggest you read his blog and get a true insight in to his character.

He wants a project and a club with good youth facilities as his aim is to develop for the future and set a club up for life.

Was intrigued about the blog... its from 2013.

I know I call him a has been like but Jesus, bringing up a blog from 8 years ago to back his case up is getting silly.

Hasn't he had about 10 rounds of "talks".

Sounds rubbish to me.

That's my thoughts on this. All the big journo's have gone heavily on this, but then they did for Nuno and Benitez before. Probably like everyone else there were contrasting whatsapp's going round, some saying he was some saying he wasn't coming.

If the stories from last night are true, we will see some firm movement today. If nothing moves today sounds a bit like Benitez's people maybe sticking it out again.

For those boasting they'll burn season tickets and walk away from Everton, and those who support the banner hangers: did you ever think that might be counter productive with Moshiri / Usmanov?

If you try and push around people of that nature they'll dig in even more. They would look very weak to walk away from this now as they've clearly invested personal capital in Benitez's appointment and it'd look like they've lost control of their asset at a time when investment is crucial with the stadium on the horizon.

To be fair Benitez has managed Inter and Madrid. Badly, but still.

Madrid couldnt get rid of him quick enough. This notion that he only played negative football at newcastle because of what he had to work with. What was his excuse at madrid. Players and madrid fans couldnt stand his dour style.

Madrid couldnt get rid of him quick enough. This notion that he only played negative football at newcastle because of what he had to work with. What was his excuse at madrid. Players and madrid fans couldnt stand his dour style.
Didn't inter get rid of him within 12 months as well because he is a massive tit

Status
Not open for further replies.