New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Rafael Benitez remains in pole position to become the new Everton Manager after further talks with Everton’s hierarchy."

He must be bringing different gifts, Jesus Christ. How many meetings must a manager have to get a job? Its getting silly now, either put us out of our misery and let us get on with our lives without Everton with Rafael, or suck us back in and get a manger who could actually excite the fanbase and unite it in anything other then hate....

5 apparent meetings with people. Its ridiculous.

Well he's got his excuse already lined up then hasnt he. I haven't got the players to play high intensity football and the board never gave me £150m to spend on those players so I have to play defensive.
Whatever you think of Benitez, he will strike a hard bargain, he will make sure that the spending money and everything he wants is in place. He ain't looking for excuses.

Go and read his blog mate. He said he doesn't care about the size of a club as long as the project is right. He wants a team that can eventually compete at the top, not necessarily straight away, but within a few years. He wants a club with a good youth setup so he can create his own stars rather than buying them in the future. As he says a squad full of homegrown stars is more sustainable.

He has also stated that him and his Coahes talk to other trainers all around the world to keep up with modern methods. He has admitted that fans prefer high intensity football and he can play in that style if he has the players to do so.

SO

Rafael has stated that he wants a club which he can manage for a decade if he's allowed that amount of time. He aims to manage well in to his 70s. How exactly would he be short term?

I suggest you read his blog and get a true insight in to his character.

He wants a project and a club with good youth facilities as his aim is to develop for the future and set a club up for life.

Could you point this out to me please...

If he is managing still in his 70s he will have to be extremely successful in the next 3-4 years, because he's seen by many fans as washed up now.

Oh hang on! I’ve been thinking that grease is the word for over 30 years now!? FFS, this and Rafael! I can’t take anymore
I know things are tough right now. It’s gonna take me a while to get my head around the Benitez appointment.

Just hang in there and hope that our owners provide a big transfer budget and we get some decent players in.

Whatever you think of Benitez, he will strike a hard bargain, he will make sure that the spending money and everything he wants is in place. He ain't looking for excuses.
He might not be looking for excuses but he will 100% fall out with the board like he does everywhere he goes. The Newcastle fans love him because he called Ashley out. Bruce is doing a similar job over there but the Newcastle fans don't rate him because he has a good relationship with Ashley. There are also multiple instances of Benitez falling out with top stars in teams, falling out with owners of clubs, he's a control freak and its not the right fit for this club.

….the last thing I’ll be doing is reading his blog. It doesn’t matter.

He totally disrespected Everton in the past to raise his stock with the Cult. Thats absolutely the end of discussion for me. He’s got his PR machine in full flow so I suspect he‘s desperate for this job, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are posting on here.

We shouldn’t entertain him, zero tolerance.

Never forget, he publicly disrespected Everton Football Club & insults our intelligence by saying he meant something else!!!
Not saying I want him, but, who hasn't disrespected the club on this forum? We disrespect players, owners and managers. I'm not talking about general discontent, im talking full on comments that, if said to that person, in person, would result in a pummelling. Levels of hypocrisy are insane. Before anyone say "it's a fans right", I'd say its worse if you're a fan. At least he had the excuse of managing our rivals at the time. What's our excuse for some of our behaviour?

….the last thing I’ll be doing is reading his blog. It doesn’t matter.

He totally disrespected Everton in the past to raise his stock with the Cult. Thats absolutely the end of discussion for me. He’s got his PR machine in full flow so I suspect he‘s desperate for this job, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are posting on here.

We shouldn’t entertain him, zero tolerance.

Never forget, he publicly disrespected Everton Football Club & insults our intelligence by saying he meant something else!!!
What amazes me is the determination Benitez seems to have in getting the Everton job.
I know it is close to home but surely that can't be that big an issue who has spent his entire career working all over the world.

He will know better than anyone just how disliked he is by Evertonians and that the job of winning them over to his side is practically impossible. This will make a difficult job even harder and yet he seems prepared to persist.

He must be one thick skinned and determined like practically no one else.

It can't possibly be for the money. I find it amazing

What amazes me is the determination Benitez seems to have in getting the Everton job.
I know it is close to home but surely that can't be that big an issue who has spent his entire career working all over the world.

He will know better than anyone just how disliked he is by Evertonians and that the job of winning them over to his side is practically impossible. This will make a difficult job even harder and yet he seems prepared to persist.

He said he wants to settle on Merseyside. We're basically his last job. When it goes tits up, he will gladly tell everyone how he still doesn't like Everton, was never really bothered and only took the job because it was convenient.

Cos he wants the job and thinks he can do a good one. Which is to counter argue the fact people think he's coming in to take loads of money and embarrass us.

Not advocating Rafael at all. I'm completely done with expecting anything from this club and set of players.

But I think on the list of candidates he's the only one who understands the club, is closest to it, has more to risk be it personally and professionally than all the others. Everyone else is a standard working manager who if it goes wrong will just shrug.

There's something more personal with Rafael. And that's not affection or anything, that's more he knows the job he's getting into.
I agree with this. Benitez clearly wants this job. He's prepared to jeopardise his "legend" status on the other side and run the gauntlet of a voluble section of our support. He's already a very wealthy man - so this is not simply about money. He is clearly very motivated. I can see why he would be. Everton is potentially one of the best jobs in football. If you love the area, are at an age where you would like to be with your family, and still feel you have quite a few points to prove and scores to settle, Everton is a very attractive vehicle. He'll clearly be funded in the market and has all the tools necessary to be competitive. This could very well be a long-term "project" for him - one that determines his legacy.

One thing in Benitez's favour is he is not a sentimentalist - or even a good PR man. We'll not hear any bullshit about Crosby, beaches, and biking trails. If he says he loves the place, that's because he does. If he doesn't, we'll know about it. Carlo seduced us all, sucked us in, and spat us out. A true pro. Nothing personal, like. With Benitez, I suspect it is personal. He's clearly a man who is ruthlessly single-minded to the point of self-destruction. As we are without doubt the club that most wraps itself in sentiment in lieu of an actual working strategy, I could see this working. In theory.

Everton: “there there, don’t worry, we’ll listen to you, the fans”.

Everton 5 minutes later: “[Poor language removed] the lot of you we’re appointing him anyway”.

He is 100% emotionless, I totally believe that he would have had to be for going to Chelsea and those fans literally had banners and boo'd him every game. Doesn't matter that they won the Europa they hated him.

I find it astonishing he wants our role so badly, he is either desperate to have us off and relegate us to be adored by the RS more, or he sees us as an opportunity to do something, regardless how much he is hated.

Managers are 3 losses from being questioned by the fans, Benitez won't have that, the moment he gets in the door its going to be horrific.

Status
Not open for further replies.