New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those boasting they'll burn season tickets and walk away from Everton, and those who support the banner hangers: did you ever think that might be counter productive with Moshiri / Usmanov?

If you try and push around people of that nature they'll dig in even more. They would look very weak to walk away from this now as they've clearly invested personal capital in Benitez's appointment and it'd look like they've lost control of their asset at a time when investment is crucial with the stadium on the horizon.

I never had you down as a man who'd oppose banner hanging mate, a man of many surprises haha!

Madrid couldnt get rid of him quick enough. This notion that he only played negative football at newcastle because of what he had to work with. What was his excuse at madrid. Players and madrid fans couldnt stand his dour style.

He went to Real Madrid as long term manager (not to steady the ship as some have tried to suggest).

He bombed so badly they got rid quickly enough to turn their season around and win the Champions League whilst he relegated Newcastle.

I agree with this. Benitez clearly wants this job. He's prepared to jeopardise his "legend" status on the other side and run the gauntlet of a voluble section of our support. He's already a very wealthy man - so this is not simply about money. He is clearly very motivated. I can see why he would be. Everton is potentially one of the best jobs in football. If you love the area, are at an age where you would like to be with your family, and still feel you have quite a few points to prove and scores to settle, Everton is a very attractive vehicle. He'll clearly be funded in the market and has all the tools necessary to be competitive. This could very well be a long-term "project" for him - one that determines his legacy.

One thing in Benitez's favour is he is not a sentimentalist - or even a good PR man. We'll not hear any bullshit about Crosby, beaches, and biking trails. If he says he loves the place, that's because he does. If he doesn't, we'll know about it. Carlo seduced us all, sucked us in, and spat us out. A true pro. Nothing personal, like. With Benitez, I suspect it is personal. He's clearly a man who is ruthlessly single-minded to the point of self-destruction. As we are without doubt the club that most wraps itself in sentiment in lieu of an actual working strategy, I could see this working. In theory.

Theres 3 factors really -

I do think he's the better candidate in terms of ruthlessness, stature, and actually getting the club as he's lived and worked in the city for too long to understand that. I think he'd be more suited to booting the frauds out too.

His kopite past that the bitterest of blooos just cannot stand and there's not changing.

The opinion of him as a manager and whether he's past it.

I do think that it's more familiar than the other candidates which is probably worse as you kinda know what we'd be getting. Everyone else there's this unknown quality which could pay off or couldn't.

Last edited:

The experience for the match goin fan next season will not be a nice one . Too many are against his appointment. On any given game you are a goal conceded or even a few passes back to the keeper away from a toxic goodison.
People don't want to experience that after 18 months away. And it will happen..
I really can't get my head around this appointment if it happens.

I don’t buy the argument that he won’t be motivated. He must understand the risks. You would like to hope the board do as well. The most probable outcome is that it will end badly for him. This team is well capable of losing a few on the bounce and the place will be toxic.

That's it for me. He could take the Palace job for an easy ride for example.

But people think he's doing it cos he lives round the corner. They don't realise how bad that could be if he's seeing it as just easy money for him.

…he’s got a huge ego, I know that but I think the logistics of this job being close to home is a big factor at this stage in his life.

I’d be interested to know how many of his supporters on here are new posters. I‘m probably being a bit paranoid that his PR machine is trying to influence outcomes.

I think the attachments he feels to LFC are actually quite overblown and you will likely see how fickle those same fans are in the coming weeks if he is appointed-expect the banner to come down.

This is a guy at LFC who gutted the back office of the club, the likes of Steve Heighway who were rooted in what the club was about. People tend to forget, when he went, the fans turned on him and it actually got really nasty and personnel. He seems the sort to remember that sort of stuff. He's had 3 or 4 opportunities where LFC could have had him back, but they have elected not to.

And then you get the business side of it. I don't think he's a particularly emotional guy, he seems quite pragmatic. It's a good project for him, we are led to believe he's met Usmanov, and I'm sure Benitez has laid out what he requires from him, and where he thinks he can get the club too. Both sides obviously feel they have the assurances they require.

I'm not sure he will be worried what fans think if he has Usmanov's backing.

The experience for the match goin fan next season will not be a nice one . Too many are against his appointment. On any given game you are a goal conceded or even a few passes back to the keeper away from a toxic goodison.

Would go like than after a couple of months with Nuno etc if it went downhill anyway. Why wait

I don’t blame Benitez for wanting the job. By the sounds of it he’s been after it for a few years. It’s 100 percent on the board for entertaining it.

Despite the fact that owners like Moshiri and perhaps Usmanov pump huge amounts of money into the club the club is nothing without the fans.

As we have seen since the pandemic take fans away from stadiums and the product becomes bland and unintersting.

If Moshiri really goes through with the unthinkable and appoints Benitez he will instantly disenfranchise the vast majority of the fans and create unrest. However I suspect that Moshiri is calculating what actual damage will be caused.

When the scab 6 tried to push through the ESL the fans retaliated and the project was soon dropped. The fans really do have power.

So that begs the question what if anything the Goodison faithfull ( the sentiments of keyboard warriors on here are totally irrelevant ) will do when this mad proposed appointment fails.

In my opinion the majority of the match going fans will have very little if any patience and allow any honeymoon period to the kopite Benitez. I'd give it 2 matches if the results aren't wonderful.

However in the past , time and time again the Everton crowd have displayed total apathy in trying to actually influence opinion and effect change.

Will they stay away ? No
Will they boycott merchandise ? No
Will we see marches on Goodison or the Liver Building ? Unlikely

I suspect that we might get the usual booing when it starts to go wrong , but that won't really be enough to influence opinion. Eventually they will put up with the crap football , mid table finishes and lack of ambition on the pitch, because we always do. People talk about Fat Sam being hounded out but that's nonsense really . Moshiri only ever wanted him here to make sure we didn't get relegated.

Unfortunately I believe that the true effect of this appointment would be that over a period of time supporting Everton will simply become less attractive and there will be a slow drain of support.

The key question for Moshiri to consider is whether this interest once lost can ever be rekindled , especially when it comes to filling the new stadium.

My real worry is that a generation of support will be lost and that Everton will become irrelevant.
The truth of the matter is that no manager gets a honeymoon period at Everton. Results will determine matters. That's always been the case...and at all clubs.

George Graham shut Spurs fans up for a while by winning. Then he was sacked 2.5 years later.

And I wouldn't put an awful lot of faith in fans using social media stopping this - IF it is to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.