New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's kinda like a Carlo Ancelotti but more adept at dealing with lesser tools at his disposal.

King loves pushing Everton fan's buttons and he's very much the main instigator of all the 'Moshiri doesn't care about fans feelings' stuff. It's almost like the Red Journo has an agenda o_O
I’ve seen other media types on Twitter say certain journalists are pushing hard for Benitez to get the job as it will give them more access to the club.

I think people are over reacting.

He's a professional - and has shown to be reasonably good at his job through his career. While at the rs he played the professional game and said the right things to wind up the local rivals and get his own fans on board. Can you imagine the things he could say to make the rs apoplectic if he comes here? He'll just say whatever script.

So long as we play good football and the players perform then I'll be happy with him. If we win a pot I'll be delighted.

Peter Reid, Kevin Sheedy and many others came over from the dark side once they saw the light.

….it’s not so much that he managed the Reds, it’s that he tried to publicly humiliate us whilst doing so. it really doesn’t matter how good or bad he‘ll be, that’s zero tolerance as far as I’m concerned.

For those boasting they'll burn season tickets and walk away from Everton, and those who support the banner hangers: did you ever think that might be counter productive with Moshiri / Usmanov?

If you try and push around people of that nature they'll dig in even more. They would look very weak to walk away from this now as they've clearly invested personal capital in Benitez's appointment and it'd look like they've lost control of their asset at a time when investment is crucial with the stadium on the horizon.
Despite the fact that owners like Moshiri and perhaps Usmanov pump huge amounts of money into the club the club is nothing without the fans.

As we have seen since the pandemic take fans away from stadiums and the product becomes bland and unintersting.

If Moshiri really goes through with the unthinkable and appoints Benitez he will instantly disenfranchise the vast majority of the fans and create unrest. However I suspect that Moshiri is calculating what actual damage will be caused.

When the scab 6 tried to push through the ESL the fans retaliated and the project was soon dropped. The fans really do have power.

So that begs the question what if anything the Goodison faithfull ( the sentiments of keyboard warriors on here are totally irrelevant ) will do when this mad proposed appointment fails.

In my opinion the majority of the match going fans will have very little if any patience and allow any honeymoon period to the kopite Benitez. I'd give it 2 matches if the results aren't wonderful.

However in the past , time and time again the Everton crowd have displayed total apathy in trying to actually influence opinion and effect change.

Will they stay away ? No
Will they boycott merchandise ? No
Will we see marches on Goodison or the Liver Building ? Unlikely

I suspect that we might get the usual booing when it starts to go wrong , but that won't really be enough to influence opinion. Eventually they will put up with the crap football , mid table finishes and lack of ambition on the pitch, because we always do. People talk about Fat Sam being hounded out but that's nonsense really . Moshiri only ever wanted him here to make sure we didn't get relegated.

Unfortunately I believe that the true effect of this appointment would be that over a period of time supporting Everton will simply become less attractive and there will be a slow drain of support.

The key question for Moshiri to consider is whether this interest once lost can ever be rekindled , especially when it comes to filling the new stadium.

My real worry is that a generation of support will be lost and that Everton will become irrelevant.

….it’s not so much that he managed the Reds, it’s that he tried to publicly humiliate us whilst doing so. it really doesn’t matter how good or bad he‘ll be, that’s zero tolerance as far as I’m concerned.
And that will be constantly raised with him at press conferences etc. It’s an unnecessary distraction caused by this appointment if it goes through.

Pragmatically, he will do better than people expect, but because he who he is, unless he has us winning a trophy or finishing in the top 4 (maybe top 6 at a pinch) in the first season it won't work.

Therefore, it's such a big gamble by the owners to hire someone that more than likely will have them in the same position this time next year, finding another new manager.

Hysteria aside of who he is and where he has been, that's why this just baffles me.
Think that is a bit short sighted, we all want progression, if he comes in get rid of the dead wood or exiles them away from the first team then that will be a good start for many, we need to get rid of so many nearly everyone has said we cant possible move forward with a manager that has to work with players signed by the previous 4 or 5 .
We need to give him who ever it might be a chance to start over from scratch, i know we all want a trophy and top 4 or 6 but with most of the crap that's left in that squad its a tall order.

Rafael has stated that he wants a club which he can manage for a decade if he's allowed that amount of time. He aims to manage well in to his 70s. How exactly would he be short term?

I suggest you read his blog and get a true insight in to his character.

He wants a project and a club with good youth facilities as his aim is to develop for the future and set a club up for life.
He won't be manager in 18 months. That's a given.

Rafael has stated that he wants a club which he can manage for a decade if he's allowed that amount of time. He aims to manage well in to his 70s. How exactly would he be short term?

I suggest you read his blog and get a true insight in to his character.

He wants a project and a club with good youth facilities as his aim is to develop for the future and set a club up for life.

I mean I'm sure he wants to manage into his 70's but how realistic is this? I mean I can probably count on 1 hand the managers who went into their 70's, and one of the is Alex Ferguson who I think we can all agree is a world class manager in a way that Benitez simply isn't. You also look at the guy, and he's not the healthiest, I would be very surprised if he's going anywhere near his 70's never mind beyond it.

Everywhere he has been, he has rarely if ever cultivated young players. I don't think Liverpool had a single from their academy under him that went on to play 50 games for the club. He fell out with Steve Heighway and got rid of him and gutted the youth system. I can't think of any young players he gave an opportunity to at Chelsea, Madrid, Inter etc. Napoli I'll be honest I am unsure of while Newcastle there weren't many either.

There are lots of things Benitez is, and I am all for nuanced debate and giving credit where it is due, but this is just inaccurate and leading people down a path again in the same way they were under Ancelotti. Neither manager, for all of their strengths are known for youth development or particularly long term thinking.

So he's short term as a result of his age, and hit outlook. That doesn't have to be an insult. Everton were 8 points off CL last season and if there is a short term boost we may well get CL in year 1. If there are funds available, that feels a realistic target for Benitez. I've already said, I think if he got to January last season, he would have knuckled down and got us into CL. It wouldn't have been pretty or enjoyable, but it would have been effective.

Go and read his blog mate. He said he doesn't care about the size of a club as long as the project is right. He wants a team that can eventually compete at the top, not necessarily straight away, but within a few years. He wants a club with a good youth setup so he can create his own stars rather than buying them in the future. As he says a squad full of homegrown stars is more sustainable.

He has also stated that him and his Coahes talk to other trainers all around the world to keep up with modern methods. He has admitted that fans prefer high intensity football and he can play in that style if he has the players to do so.

You’re the second strangest poster I’ve ever seen on here after RickyRyder.

I honestly don’t care about the “small team / club” comment, it was years ago and not something I give a toss about any more. It was said out of frustration after we’d held them to a point at their place, so he obviously had a titty lip on.

Facts are, his last 2 jobs were completely underwhelming. Yes of course there will be reasons on both sides of the fence for that, but I just cannot fathom any real positives for Everton trying to revive his career for him and giving him this chance.

He is also very uncharismatic and dour. We need somebody with energy and positivity who is willing to get tough to implement his style on this football club. That is not Rafael, one last big pay cheque Benitez.

Status
Not open for further replies.